Sugar Bowl

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No. 8 Arkansas (10-2) vs. No. 6 Ohio State (11-1)
Jan. 4, 8:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)

For the past week, it seems the only news surrounding the Sugar Bowl has involved the five Ohio State players -- including quarterback Terrelle Pryor and leading rusher Boom Herron -- who have been suspended by the NCAA for the first five games of next season for selling memorabilia. Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan said he appealed to Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith to get the suspensions pushed to the 2011 season. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and Ohio State officials succeeded in lobbying the NCAA to leave the players eligible for the game. Hoolahan told The Columbus Dispatch that he wanted to "preserve the integrity of this year's game."

While Hoolahan's delight in subverting the NCAA enforcement process for the sake of ratings doesn't say much about the bowl's integrity, the decision to allow the Buckeyes to play should make for an excellent game -- which is exactly what Hoolahan wanted in the first place.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...3/sugar.bowl.preview/index.html#ixzz1A5Ced1FQ

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;3781753 said:
Get ready for another SEC beatdown on Ohio State/Big 10

I already warned my Buckeye wife so she wouldn't get her hopes up to high.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3781704 said:
No. 8 Arkansas (10-2) vs. No. 6 Ohio State (11-1)
Jan. 4, 8:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)

For the past week, it seems the only news surrounding the Sugar Bowl has involved the five Ohio State players -- including quarterback Terrelle Pryor and leading rusher Boom Herron -- who have been suspended by the NCAA for the first five games of next season for selling memorabilia. Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan said he appealed to Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith to get the suspensions pushed to the 2011 season. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and Ohio State officials succeeded in lobbying the NCAA to leave the players eligible for the game. Hoolahan told The Columbus Dispatch that he wanted to "preserve the integrity of this year's game."

While Hoolahan's delight in subverting the NCAA enforcement process for the sake of ratings doesn't say much about the bowl's integrity, the decision to allow the Buckeyes to play should make for an excellent game -- which is exactly what Hoolahan wanted in the first place.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...3/sugar.bowl.preview/index.html#ixzz1A5Ced1FQ
This kind of stuff just makes me ill. It's not only an indictment of the Bowl's integrity as stated in the article, but the NCAA's too. If the NFL, MLB, or NBA were this corrupt the government would be all over them.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3782071 said:
I already warned my Buckeye wife so she wouldn't get her hopes up to high.

Start thinking of something to console her.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06;3782514 said:
This kind of stuff just makes me ill. It's not only an indictment of the Bowl's integrity as stated in the article, but the NCAA's too. If the NFL, MLB, or NBA were this corrupt the government would be all over them.

Well the Williams for Minn played in the playoff game last year as the appealed the ruling of a failed drug test

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3782530 said:
Well the Williams for Minn played in the playoff game last year as the appealed the ruling of a failed drug test
That was more regarding the integrity of the drug test than it was for the "integrity of the game" was it not?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06;3782568 said:
That was more regarding the integrity of the drug test than it was for the "integrity of the game" was it not?

They failed the test the only reason they appealed was because of the playoffs and at the start of the season they were suspended for the 1st 4 games.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3782595 said:
They failed the test the only reason they appealed was because of the playoffs and at the start of the season they were suspended for the 1st 4 games.
That was a temporary injunction handed down from a Court... the NFL was prevented from suspending them by the injunction. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4924886

This is way different. The NCAA has handled this the whole way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06;3782624 said:
That was a temporary injunction handed down from a Court... the NFL was prevented from suspending them by the injunction. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4924886

This is way different. The NCAA has handled this the whole way.

It was procedure nothing more they damn well knew they would get suspended everyone knew it, by appealing they pushed it off to the following season.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3782626 said:
It was procedure nothing more they damn well knew they would get suspended everyone knew it, by appealing they pushed it off to the following season.
Yeah, but it wasn't the NFL's action that prevented the suspension from taking place over the playoff game. Sounds like they intended to suspend them for the playoff game, and the Williamses had to go to a court of law to be able to play.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Players who may be drafted per Drafttek player ranking board:

13 Ryan Mallett Arkansas 6'6" 238 QB
25 Cameron Heyward Ohio State 6'5" 288 DE43 DE34
27 DeMarcus Love Arkansas 6'5" 315 ROT LOT
47 D.J. Williams Arkansas 6'2" 250 TE
153 Ross Homan Ohio State 6'0" 228 OLB43 WILB
167 Chimdi Chekwa Ohio State 6'0" 190 CB
211 Justin Boren Ohio State 6'3" 320 OG
247 Bryant Browning Ohio State 6'4" 315 OG

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3782617 said:
GO BUCKS!

Want to make a bet?

If my Razorbacks beat your Buckeyes, you sport a Hogs profile picture and signature.

If the opposite happens, I'll have the Buckeyes profile picture and signature.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
The Emperor;3782825 said:
Want to make a bet?

If my Razorbacks beat your Buckeyes, you sport a Hogs profile picture and signature.

If the opposite happens, I'll have the Buckeyes profile picture and signature.

Sure...it's a bet.

How long?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3782746 said:
Pep, you act as if the NCAA and BCS care about integrity. ;)
lol... And I know I'm preaching to the choir. It's just so amazing to me how obvious they are in their corruption, yet no one has seen fit to take any action.

I don't particularly like that the government got involved in the MLB steroids drama, but IMO what the NCAA does is infinitely worse. The MLB was essentially turning a blind eye and ignoring the obvious problem. The players were the most culpable... and it was a lot of players involved for sure.

The NCAA is analogous to the MLB here... and they're the culpable ones. The players do things like get golf cart rides across the campus, get free tattoos, and talk to ex-NFL players, not crimes by any means. Then the NCAA gets to lay the heavy hammer, except if it affects the "integrity" of one of our precious bowls. Oh well then you guys can play, we'll just suspend you next season.

Meanwhile the BCS system stays in place and excludes half of the football playing universities in the championship process... all the while saying that the regular season matters. Oh really? You just told the country that the "integrity" of the Sugar Bowl was more important than the regular season... how much does the regular season really matter? The Sugar Bowl this season is basically an exhibition game. It doesn't matter one bit, other than the teams playing in it get a big check, and the city gets some tourism revenue.

Then, the "integrity" of these bowl games through the BCS system in turn lines the pockets of the universities, who also lobbied for the players to be allowed to play in this game.

There is no need for any Mitchell Report type investigations either. It's in your face. Every year we see the amount of money that is doled out to these schools. Every few years we see Networks like ESPN pay $125 million per year for a three year right to televise the BCS games. There's no hiding about this stuff. No need to interview a Bryan McNamee to find out what Roger Clemens has been doing.

It's disgusting. And some times it just gets to me. ;)