Super Bowl 12

JustChip

Reaction score
You know, I'm as big as a die hard as many (all?) of you are. But I will admit TWO things about TWO of our championship years, involving a little bit of fortuity. I won't say luck...but instead fortuity.

(1) Let's be brutally honest, Dallas was fortunate that the Steelers were banged up in '77, AND that they played the Broncos in the Super Bowl, not the World Champion Raiders. Of those 3 teams, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Denver, the Broncos were by far the better matchup, and it showed..

(2) Flip to 1995. We were starting to have trouble against the 49ers. You know, like we do now. These days the 49ers are a horrifically TERRIBLE matchup for the Cowboys because they can fully exploit our weakness on D: they can power gash you up the middle with the run (CMC), and hit the TE down the middle (Kittle). And do so patiently. Anyway, Dallas lost to the 49ers in the regular season in 1994, in the 1994 Championship game (Jan 1995), and in the regular season in 1995. Wanted NO PART of these guys in the 1995 Championship game (Jan 1996). Fortunately for us, Green Bay took care of the 49ers in the divisional round out in San Fran, meaning instead of Dallas going out to SF for the 2nd straight year for the NFC Championship (4th straight meeting overall in the NFCC game), they got to host Green Bay. And back in the early-mid 1990s, Dallas matched up well with Green Bay. From 1991-96, Dallas did not lose to the Packers, including several playoff games. We were able to keep Favre in check somewhat, while our OL and running game dominated. Dallas beat Green Bay in the 1995 NFC Championship game, then of course went on to win SB XXX.

Matchups matter. Which is why I hope Dallas plays (and beats) Philly first, while Detroit beats SF. :)
Your last paragraph is the most salient. Matchup matter. Warshington always the Eagles tough. It doesn’t make sense, but the results show it. Same for the Cards and Cowboys. Same for the 49ers and tge Cowboys.

However, I think this year will be different if a 49ers-Cowboys matchup in the playoffs comes to fruition. The early Landry era Cowboys were “next year’s champions” until they were actually the next year’s champions.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn’t play that well in the game
Should have won by a lot more

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
You know, I'm as big as a die hard as many (all?) of you are. But I will admit TWO things about TWO of our championship years, involving a little bit of fortuity. I won't say luck...but instead fortuity.

(1) Let's be brutally honest, Dallas was fortunate that the Steelers were banged up in '77, AND that they played the Broncos in the Super Bowl, not the World Champion Raiders. Of those 3 teams, Pittsburgh, Oakland, and Denver, the Broncos were by far the better matchup, and it showed..

(2) Flip to 1995. We were starting to have trouble against the 49ers. You know, like we do now. These days the 49ers are a horrifically TERRIBLE matchup for the Cowboys because they can fully exploit our weakness on D: they can power gash you up the middle with the run (CMC), and hit the TE down the middle (Kittle). And do so patiently. Anyway, Dallas lost to the 49ers in the regular season in 1994, in the 1994 Championship game (Jan 1995), and in the regular season in 1995. Wanted NO PART of these guys in the 1995 Championship game (Jan 1996). Fortunately for us, Green Bay took care of the 49ers in the divisional round out in San Fran, meaning instead of Dallas going out to SF for the 2nd straight year for the NFC Championship (4th straight meeting overall in the NFCC game), they got to host Green Bay. And back in the early-mid 1990s, Dallas matched up well with Green Bay. From 1991-96, Dallas did not lose to the Packers, including several playoff games. We were able to keep Favre in check somewhat, while our OL and running game dominated. Dallas beat Green Bay in the 1995 NFC Championship game, then of course went on to win SB XXX.

Matchups matter. Which is why I hope Dallas plays (and beats) Philly first, while Detroit beats SF. :)
The Steelers were brutally fortunate there wasn't instant replay in the 70's or the Oilers would have beaten them at home in the playoffs on a catch by Mike Renfro that was ruled incomplete.

Thomas82

Reaction score
No kidding. At least that means they haven’t been forgotten about.

Jerry ought to take advantage of the old crew that likes them before it’s too late.

Are they available? I haven’t checked for years but Id guess no. Teams only wear all these alternates in games to sell them and they haven’t.

I no longer put money in his pocket when I can help it without not watching games, but I may actually buy one of those.

Mine would be #11 D. White with the first initial because Randy was on the team.

Maybe #80 Hill. And hey #54 R. White wouldn’t be awful either.

Man I miss Coach. Now we get Jerry and his celebrity circus act. Was nice when things were about football.
I would probably get a Tony Dorsett if they were available. But yeah, they DEFINITELY need to bring them back. Oh, and I even have the red stripe on the helmet most of the time when I use those unis.