Super Bowl Teams = Mediocre

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
The NFL should be embarassed by the product they put out last night. I think Pittsburg is the worst team to ever win a SuperBowl. Nice run indeed, but these teams were not that good. Only thing good about last night is I know Dallas is not far off from either of these teams. Not far at all.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Yeah when you watch these teams play they look very beatable but if and when we play them it would have been a whole different story. Ahh it sucks not being in the superbowls anymore.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I'd say this year's Pittsburgh team ranks right up with the 1968 Jets, 2001 Patriots and perhaps the 1980 Oakland raiders as the weakest Super Bowl champions. The 1982 Commanders and 1988 49ers are not far behind.

clayman

Reaction score
Pittsburgh won on the road against NE, Indy, and Denver as well as 3 or 4 straight to end the season. They didn't have a great game in the SB but that as well was due to the Off of Seattle controlling the clock and game while not scoring. No reason to discount a great run to get there by a not so great performance. Throttle the game's execution, not the team I say as everyone has bad games. Would you rather have seen a blowout where the game is over by halftime?? Those are less entertaining and we'd have to have gotten to the playoffs first which we couldn't after a 7-3 start to be able to ***** about the teams playing in the SB.

Derinyar

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the last strong team that won a SB wasn't the last Broncos team to win one.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
New England 2004 was probably the best team this decade, though not at the level of the 98 Broncos or 93 Cowboys. They were a soldi team allaround with no considerable weaknesses If I had to rank the the Suoper Bowl champions from 1999- now it would be

1. Ne 2004
2. Ne 2003
3. TB 2002
4. Bal 2000
5.pitt 2005
6.NE 2001

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
And yet we couldn't even make it to the playoffs so what does that say about us.

Damn, people really need to quit drinking the kool-aid to make ourselves feel better for our short comings.

Derinyar

Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
And yet we couldn't even make it to the playoffs so what does that say about us.

Damn, people really need to quit drinking the kool-aid to make ourselves feel better for our short comings.
What it says about us is simple. Theres very little difference between teams now adays. If a team gets a couple of good breaks in a game, they are likely going to win it. Look at the Skins, they won most of their games because they had a couple of key plays go their way. Pittsburg won last night because they made three big plays.

joseephuss

Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:

Even if Dallas won it this year, they would also be a weak Superbowl winner. I would be happy, but I would know that it wasn't one of the great teams in the league. That is just the nature of the NFL in this era.

That is why I appreciate the early 90s Cowboys. Those were great teams. This years Dallas team would get trounced by those early 90s teams. Charles Haley would become a close friend of Drew Bledsoe if those teams played each other.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:

Whether we made the playoffs or not has no bearing on whether the Super Bowl champs were great or weak. Parity, the salary cap and having 32 teams has really watered down the league

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:

This team was a few plays from being a 12 or 13 win football team, division winner, 1 or 2 seed, etc....need I remind you of the game against the NFC representative in the Superbowl last night?

If that games in Dallas, no way it's even close.....and if we had a kicker the game wouldn't have come down to Bledstud's INT late in the game. It even pains me to say it but if Washington had a better offense they would have beat seattle in the playoffs as well.

Parity has been rampant in the NFL the last 8 years or so...and love them or hate them, that's what makes New Englands dynasty very impressive. Parity is also the reason that Dallas will either implode and fail miserably or make a deep playoff run next year.:cool: