Super Bowl V Cowboys v Colts

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I remember being crushed at this outcome. I was 9. Lol.

Enjoy. .

I was 16 , seriously, considering entering the military. That’s when I fell in love with the Cowboys, the star what it represented. To me anyways. It was camaraderie, it was Mr. cowboy, but really took it over the top was Roger. Been a fan ever since. I was always between Green Bay and Dallas before that Bart star. That’s when football was football. That’s when men played the game.

Flamma

Reaction score
I was too young to watch this. But this was the first super bowl to take place after the merger. This was the first year there was an NFC and AFC.

pitt33

Reaction score
I was 16 , seriously, considering entering the military. That’s when I fell in love with the Cowboys, the star what it represented. To me anyways. It was camaraderie, it was Mr. cowboy, but really took it over the top was Roger. Been a fan ever since. I was always between Green Bay and Dallas before that Bart star. That’s when football was football. That’s when men played the game.
I was 11 years old watching with my Dad.

That’s when I became a Cowboys fan.

The blue star with the cobalt blue jerseys.

Lee Roy Jordan, Cornell Green, Chuck Howley, Duane Thomas…

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I became a fan during the "next year's champions" days.

I was 7 when this game was played and I bet a dollar on it with my Aunt. That started a tradition of betting a dollar with her on "special" Cowboys games, and a tradition of coming up with creative ways to pay off the debt. That tradition lasted until her passing in 2021.

Flamma

Reaction score
I became a Cowboys fan after Super Bowl X to spite my father. I had no favorite team up until that point. I don't even want to tell you what team I was warming up to. Long story short, my father made his little kid mad that day. To his horror, I stuck with the Cowboys. Then they grew on me.

He died unexpectedly months before super bowl XXX. So he never got to see the Cowboys beat the Steelers.

Mark

Reaction score
SB5 was the second-ever Cowboys game I recall watching - the first being the NFC Championship victory over John Brodie’s 49’ers. I was nine years old, and well recall watching the game with my father (a Giants fan), who was rooting for the Colts.

Been a fan ever since.

1942willys

Reaction score
the fumble that wasn't. IT was called the Blooper bowl because of so many mistakes. I was not really old enough to understand but I watched it and loved the boys from that point on.
The Colts kicker was a lot like the Helmet Catch guy; he never did anything again in the NFL. I think he stuck for another year or so but did nothing.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I was too young to watch this. But this was the first super bowl to take place after the merger. This was the first year there was an NFC and AFC.
Oh so the previous Super Bowls were NFL champion vs AFL champion?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I was an 8-year-old Jets fan by default living in the Bronx. Remember being over a neighbor's house to watch the game. I wasn't anywhere near the football nut I was to become, but that game started it all for me.

Seeing the Cowboys in their silver and blue motif drew me right in. My Buddy wanted to bet on the game, he wanted the Colts. I bet a quarter I didn't have and the rest was history. The Cowboys were the first team I ever sat and watched a full game of, bet on, and they have been a big part of me ever since.

Mom begrudgingly gave me a quarter to pay up.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember being crushed at this outcome. I was 9. Lol.

Enjoy. .

Video mark 23:36 -

Curt Gowdy said:
This was the Orange Bowl Stadium early this morning. And now just before game time, it is already filled 80 000 on hand. We're here in our NBC telecasting booth now and believe me it's been a tough ticket for this game. They've been scalping them for over a hundred dollars in the hotel lobbies and around Miami.
Bold> Oh how times have changed. :laugh:

I watched the first 30 minutes and might soon return to finish the remaining three hours. Kinda hesitating knowing the outcome but would not mind seeing Chuck Howley's MVP performance again.

The video is re-mastered very well. It is a fantastic flashback. I would recommend it for young fans who might be interested in seeing where the NFL was decades before the NFL they know today. If anything, the Super Bowl commercials of back then should either make them laugh or shake their heads, lol. Great stuff.

Just an excellent, EXCELLENT find. Thanks for posting.

Flamma

Reaction score
Oh so the previous Super Bowls were NFL champion vs AFL champion?
Yes. Basically AFL vs NFL games. That was their official name. I think they changed it to be less confusing. I also think someone nicknamed one of those games as the super bowl. But technically speaking, that Cowboys vs Colts SB could have been SB I.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Hah! I just watched the commercials. Great times back then. Missed it by a decade though.

Awesome work on the picture, astonishing.

Put my story of how I became a fan in the members zone so I won't tell it here again. But I became a fan right before Superbowl XXVII... Talk about being at the right spot at the right time lol.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
We lost a game we should have won but we definitely had the better uniforms which I call the “Dress Blues”. That uniform and the royal uniforms are the best in boys history and we don’t wear either now.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
SB IV I saw the opening kickoff then "went outside to play" because I didnt care. Super Bowl V was the opposite, not a football fan yet but I just came in from outside and turned the tv on and saw the winning FG but didnt really care. Next year though I was hooked

MS17

Reaction score
Oh, Yes. During the halcyon NFL era when you could actually tackle a quarterback and running backs didn't run out of bounds to avoid hits.