Super Bowl V Cowboys v Colts

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I remember being crushed at this outcome. I was 9. Lol.

Enjoy. .

I was a teenager and it was crushing. I’m not sure as devastating as the Ice Bowl. The heartbreaks we’ve had along with the glory,

What I recall the most is the front page from Sports Illustrated following publication after game.

Renfro and Howley leaping high in air failed attempt to block Obriens kick. Iconic cover

Sports Illustrated was major magazine I had subscription to for years.

https://sicovers.com/featured/1-bal...january-25-1971-sports-illustrated-cover.html

FriscoPhantom

Reaction score
I was 4 at the time so I don't have any memory of this. I don't remember any Cowboys games until 1973. This game, however, contains the single most important play in Dallas Cowboys history.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was 4 at the time so I don't have any memory of this. I don't remember any Cowboys games until 1973. This game, however, contains the single most important play in Dallas Cowboys history.
That’s arguable . IMO the early losses in NFL title games in 1966 and 1967 Ice Bowl were definitive losses which prevented us from making first two Super Bowls . The Lombardi could have been called the Landry.

Super Bowl V loss would be up there with Super Bowl XIII( which I attended) as the next worse losses as it prevented us from back to back championships .

rambo2

Reaction score
That’s arguable . IMO the early losses in NFL title games in 1966 and 1967 Ice Bowl were definitive losses which prevented us from making first two Super Bowls . The Lombardi could have been called the Landry.

Super Bowl V loss would be up there with Super Bowl XIII( which I attended) as the next worse losses as it prevented us from back to back championships .
Remember when they claimed Landry can't win the big one.

FriscoPhantom

Reaction score

I'm not talking about entire games, I'm talking about single plays. I'm talking about the Duane Thomas fumble that was awarded to the Colts. Had they seen that Manders actually recovered it, the Cowboys score and go up 20-6, and the Colts don't recover from that. We win the Super Bowl and Landry never lets Roger start another game, and trades him and we're saddled with Craig Morton the rest of the 70s and we never sniff another Super Bowl.

rambo2

Reaction score
I'm not talking about entire games, I'm talking about single plays. I'm talking about the Duane Thomas fumble that was awarded to the Colts. Had they seen that Manders actually recovered it, the Cowboys score and go up 20-6, and the Colts don't recover from that. We win the Super Bowl and Landry never lets Roger start another game, and trades him and we're saddled with Craig Morton the rest of the 70s and we never sniff another Super Bowl.
Damn, you are Miss Cleo.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Thankfully, I hadn’t started following the Cowboys yet. A friend of mine started following the Cowboys that season. I went over to his house to shoot some hoops the day of the game. He came to the door and said he was watching the Super Bowl and that the game was tied 13-13 with only a few minutes left. I waited for him outside. I’ll never forget to look on his face when he came out and said the Cowboys just lost in the final seconds. The following year I watched Super Bowl VI with my dad. I started getting interested in the Cowboys with all the hype building up to that Super Bowl. Everyone said they couldn’t win the big one. That was my first Cowboys game. I’ve been a diehard fan ever since.

dcstar

Reaction score
the fumble that wasn't. IT was called the Blooper bowl because of so many mistakes. I was not really old enough to understand but I watched it and loved the boys from that point on.
The Colts kicker was a lot like the Helmet Catch guy; he never did anything again in the NFL. I think he stuck for another year or so but did nothing.
Jim O'Brian I believe

Go Cowboys!

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I was 16 , seriously, considering entering the military. That’s when I fell in love with the Cowboys, the star what it represented. To me anyways. It was camaraderie, it was Mr. cowboy, but really took it over the top was Roger. Been a fan ever since. I was always between Green Bay and Dallas before that Bart star. That’s when football was football. That’s when men played the game.
Men still play the game.

vicjagger

Reaction score
This was the first one dubbed "Super Bowl", although it was the 5th championship game after the merger.

The name was applied to the first 4 games retroactively.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
No NFL fracnhise has been more historically screwed by the refs than the Dallas Cowboys. This wasn't the first time. The Pckers false started on the sneak in the Ice Bowl. The refs call that penalty and its the Cowboys who blow out the Raiders in SB II.

There's just six plays in Cowboys history, 4 of them being bad ref calls, that if different would result in 6 more Super Bowl wins for Dallas, and that doesn't even take into account the SBs we would have won if Free Agency wasn't rushed through in an effort to derail the Cowboys' dynasty in the 1990s.

shabazz

Reaction score
Even whilst still in pops vas deferens, I felt the sting of that game

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’d characterize in that manner. And we can’t be certain how that impacts the game or decade moving forward.

Most likely we could have won more Super Bowls with Morton. Craig was afterall the 1st QB to start on two different teams in a Super Bowl.

And if he’d continue to have some struggles like he did in 1971 Landry wouldn’t have hesitated giving Roger a shot. Craig also dealt with injuries throughout his career which might have also provided an opportunity.

Motorola

Reaction score
For all the back-and-forth this season about this Cowboys having not beaten a team with a winner record (until last week)___

The Super Bowl V Champions 1970 BaItimore Colts compiled an 11-2-1 regular season record to win the AFC East East Division and a spot in the playoffs.
The Colts' 2 losses were to teams with winning records - Kansas City and Miami. One win was over the Dolphins in a division split.

The other 10 wins and the tie were all over teams that finished below .500.