Superman's Theme: The Genius of John Williams & Hans Zimmer

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without a doubt, John Williams is a composing legend. His Superman theme is interwoven in the sheer fabric of movie history itself.

Hans Zimmer is no slouch though. His interpretation of the Superman character is incredibly powerful and moving.

Here are both for anyone's listening enjoyment. Both scores are some of these two geniuses' finest work.

nobody

Reaction score
Without a doubt, John Williams is a composing legend. His Superman theme is interwoven in the sheer fabric of movie history itself.

Hans Zimmer is no slouch though. His interpretation of the Superman character is incredibly powerful and moving.

Here are both for anyone's listening enjoyment. Both scores are some of these two geniuses' finest work.

While Zimmer's is good, it's modern super hero music generic. Williams' Superman theme is iconic.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While Zimmer's is good, it's modern super hero music generic. Williams' Superman theme is iconic.
My wife and I were humming Williams' and acting like we were flying coming out of the theater and set off almost everyone else. People were running through the parking lot with their hands out in front of them humming the theme. It as if everyone was just waiting to do that and just needed the match lit.

Both of these composers are excellent at capturing power. Movie themes and soundtracks are among my favorite music except I can't listen to them without ending up having to watch the movie.

Zimmer's had some magic creations. His theme for Pirates is A+, had I not known what it was for, I would have guessed swashbuckling. Zimmer is the Wagner of his day. Williams is Tchaikovsky.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My wife and I were humming Williams' and acting like we were flying coming out of the theater and set off almost everyone else. People were running through the parking lot with their hands out in front of them humming the theme. It as if everyone was just waiting to do that and just needed the match lit.

Both of these composers are excellent at capturing power. Movie themes and soundtracks are among my favorite music except I can't listen to them without ending up having to watch the movie.

Zimmer's had some magic creations. His theme for Pirates is A+, had I not known what it was for, I would have guessed swashbuckling. Zimmer is the Wagner of his day. Williams is Tchaikovsky.

I don't know. Sounds like a drunk guy climbing into a crop duster, having engine failure, then getting it to start up again after almost crashing into the forest.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's amazing how a tremendous score can make even a weak film strong.
As a writer, I always want the best for my baby while knowing it's all out of my hands.

It's a worry.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Without a doubt.

Williams is powerful. It grabs you, it’s memorable.
Zimmerman = just nice.mnot really memorable.

Williams is 50% of the movies success. I liken it to Rocky theme.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Zimmer's no way a genius. But thats me, no offense.

Last edited: