Supplemental draft discussion (Brooks)

Angus

Reaction score
http://forum.colts.com/showthread.php?t=8258

From a Colts board:

The Supplemental Draft Cometh: Ahmad Brooks

So far there are only two guys who are supposed to be in the supp. draft (I'm sure there will be more as it gets closer). One is Jason Berryman, a decent college DE (from Iowa State) who is from that Merriman mold (not as good, but same concept-- too small to be a DE as a pro, too burly to be a 4-3 OLB). He has a very spotty past, but some team should consider giving up a second day pick for him on potential.

Then there's the guy I wanted in the regular draft who didn't declare: Ahmad Brooks. Basically... Ahmad rules. He's big, he's fast, he tackles well, he reads well. He's an amazing athelete. He was almost certainly a top 15 pick if he'd declared before he got himself into this mess he's in.

He got into trouble and was kicked off the Virginia football team. The early report was "failed drug test," but that's not why he was kicked off the team (he might have, indeed, failed the drug test, though). He was kicked off for "repeated violations of team policy." The story gets even more confusing when one looks at how committed Brooks was to the team and how anxious the team was to keep him. Some think it might have just been a case of the coaching staff wanting a clean break because there was so much bad news.

Brooks, on the field, looks like a slightly taller Ray Lewis. He's anywhere from 6'2-6'4 depending on reports (looks like he's about 6'2) and weighs in around 250-255. He's fast, he hits hard, he has a mean streak and he's very serious about his football. He played inside of a 3-4 defense, so he could be a MIKE or an outside backer in a 4-3.

If it were me, *I* would give up our first round pick next year for him (with great pain), or our second without shedding a single tear. He's a better player than we'd have likely had any shot at in this draft, the next, or the previous two. He excites me the way Jonathan Vilma did.

But of course we won't take him.

Still, I wanted to make sure those of you who were interested knew he was out there. As for the supplemental draft, NFL.com explained it differently this year. Up until this season, it was explained as "draft order from the most recent draft," but now it's a 3 tier system with the less than 6 win teams, the other non-playoff teams, then the playoff teams. To draft a player, you put in a "bid" (like a silent auction). The team who offers the highest pick gets him (and loses that pick in the next draft).

Brooks is easily worth a second if his life hasn't fallen to pieces. He's probably worth our first. I'd be SO jazzed to see him around.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Angus said:
Still, I wanted to make sure those of you who were interested knew he was out there. As for the supplemental draft, NFL.com explained it differently this year. Up until this season, it was explained as "draft order from the most recent draft," but now it's a 3 tier system with the less than 6 win teams, the other non-playoff teams, then the playoff teams. To draft a player, you put in a "bid" (like a silent auction). The team who offers the highest pick gets him (and loses that pick in the next draft)..

Gil Brandt's recent column outlined this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

burmafrd

Reaction score
I would say that the most we would use is a 3rd- and that only if Al Groh swears on a stack of bibles to BP that Brooks is fully reformed.