Supreme Court overturns ruling that forced cable companies to open hi-speed lines

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/27/technology/broadband_ruling/index.htm

High court hands big victory to cable
Court overturns ruling requiring cable companies to open up high-speed Internet lines to rivals.

June 27, 2005: 10:13 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The U.S. Supreme Court overturned a ruling Monday that required cable operators to open up their high-speed Internet lines to rivals.

The decision is a big victory for the Federal Communications Commission and major telecommunications companies, including Charter Communications, Time Warner Cable and SBC Communications.

On the losing side are small Internet service providers, including Earthlink, and a host of local governments.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I wonder what happens to me know I have earthlink over Time warners line do I just get kicked in the nads by the government once again.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Kangaroo, I honestly don't know what the result is for your service. I've always signed up with the big guys that won in this case, not because it's my choice, but there isn't anything else offered where I've lived. I wonder if this affects universities that have huge internet systems connected or if they've already worked out deals with the local cable service.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TruBlueCowboy said:
Kangaroo, I honestly don't know what the result is for your service. I've always signed up with the big guys that won in this case, not because it's my choice, but there isn't anything else offered where I've lived. I wonder if this affects universities that have huge internet systems connected or if they've already worked out deals with the local cable service.

I would think that most major Universities have T-1 or T-3 lines and would not have to worry about cable or standard dial up services.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
I wonder what happens to me know I have earthlink over Time warners line do I just get kicked in the nads by the government once again.

Sorry. Your company was kicking those others in the nads. Call it karma.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Sorry. Your company was kicking those others in the nads. Call it karma.

No they where not it goes on the same theory as me picking my electrical company and long distance company that has been implemented.

Time warner was still making money from earthlink i was just saving a few extra ucks a month