News: Supreme Court sides with ex-players over NCAA

John813

Reaction score
Good. Glad it was a 9-0 "sweep" too.

NCAA makes billions off these athletes and has the audacity to tell them they can't make money off their name was always stupid to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This will be the beginning of the end of Colligate Sports, as we know them, IMO.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Doesn’t the Supreme Court understand that this is an amateur sport played by amateur athletes? (Where coaches and athletic directors get paid millions a year?). Yea, amateur.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If it needs a system of such gross inequality to survive, I don't think that is a bad thing.

This is funny. "Inequality", I often wonder exactly how much people actually know about things like that. Nobody forces people to accept Scholarships. I mean, that's what you get, in return right, a free ride? This could very well be the end of those kinds of things. What does that say for those who only have that way out, I wonder?

"Inequality"...... right.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
This is funny. "Inequality", I often wonder exactly how much people actually know about things like that. Nobody forces people to accept Scholarships. I mean, that's what you get, in return right, a free ride? This could very well be the end of those kinds of things. What does that say for those who only have that way out, I wonder?

"Inequality"...... right.

Oh, because one thing is far more unjust, everything less than is somehow ok? The NCAA makes about a billion dollars, with some coaches being paid as much as $7, $8 or $9 million a year and players are getting *at best* a year’s tuition. But don’t suffer a serious injury, because you could lose your scholarship and I’m fairly certain you can’t get workmen’s comp.

yes there are worse things in the world than this, doesn’t make this a fair system

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oh, because one thing is far more unjust, everything less than is somehow ok? The NCAA makes about a billion dollars, with some coaches being paid as much as $7, $8 or $9 million a year and players are getting *at best* a year’s tuition. But don’t suffer a serious injury, because you could lose your scholarship and I’m fairly certain you can’t get workmen’s comp.

yes there are worse things in the world than this, doesn’t make this a fair system

LOL..... Don't feed the BS story to me, I lived it. People who have nothing don't often get out of it. They stay in it. This could very well be the beginning of the end of NCAA Sports. If that happens, then all of this is academic because there will be no venue to be hurt over and there will be no Ships.

But rest easy, if that happens, who cares right? It won't effect you.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Athletes should absolutely be allowed to earn money. This notion of "amateurism" is antiquated and not even supported by the olympics anymore.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oh yeah, because the Olympics are much better now, having adopted this idea right?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Yes. The universities have been allowed to run a racket on students and athletes.
The NCAA could have avoided this a long time ago by sharing even a fraction of the money with the athletes. For example, EA Sports tried to pay the players for their name, image, and likeness and the NCAA said no. Why? Because they wanted to keep all the money for themselves. It was worth it to EA to give up a few million for the tens of millions they stood to make.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Oh yeah, because the Olympics are much better now, having adopted this idea right?
The schools shouldn't have to pay the players, but the students not getting a piece of the profit on their own NIL is absurd. Of course you attempt to make some rules around it, but there are rules now and cheating exists. You won't completely stop it from happening.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NCAA could have avoided this a long time ago by sharing even a fraction of the money with the athletes. For example, EA Sports tried to pay the players for their name, image, and likeness and the NCAA said no. Why? Because they wanted to keep all the money for themselves. It was worth it to EA to give up a few million for the tens of millions they stood to make.

The problem is title ix. If the schools pay the football team, they have to pay an equivalent number of female athletes an equal amount. That would bankrupt most athletic departments that are already supporting women's sports as a charity. The NCAA needs to get out of the policing for extra benefits business. The players should have a right to sell their autographs and profit from use of their image. They should have a right to work a summer job at an athletic camp and get paid. The money just can't come from the school or NCAA .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The schools shouldn't have to pay the players, but the students not getting a piece of the profit on their own NIL is absurd. Of course you attempt to make some rules around it, but there are rules now and cheating exists. You won't completely stop it from happening.

This has nothing, at all, to do with getting paid or not getting paid. This has to do with business. There is nothing written that says all of this can't go away and be replaced by some other means. If that happens, it won't be an education path and it will likely not be paying players a lot more money either. Business doesn't lose on these kinds of things. Yeah, there may be a short term payout to deal with the issue until a workaround is found but in the end, it will be less money, no educations offered and no long term healthcare of consequence. Educational institutes are very split on athletics as it is. Many of them see no need for Athletics so at the point it starts costing money and not making money for them, it will likely go away. That means it's not linked to higher education but rather, just a developmental league, of some sort, without the benefit of these Athletes ever being exposed to that part of life. I can't see how that would be beneficial. For Parents with Children who can't afford tuition, that will also be very painful. For College Football Fans, what stops them from just up and walking away from Universities if it's only going to cost more money? At the very least, anything outside of major powers will likely drop athletics and even major Universities will likely cut a lot of sports. Major sports support all the smaller ones but under NCAA Regs, you can't just pay some players, if you pay one, you gotta pay them all and the NCAA can't afford that.

I don't see this ending well here. So for those who love college sports, ready yourself, because this opens the door for a lot of change and that change could easily kill NCAA Athletics IMO.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
LOL..... Don't feed the BS story to me, I lived it. People who have nothing don't often get out of it. They stay in it. This could very well be the beginning of the end of NCAA Sports. If that happens, then all of this is academic because there will be no venue to be hurt over and there will be no Ships.

But rest easy, if that happens, who cares right? It won't effect you.

Way to assume my position...to be clear I 100% think the NCAA isn't going anywhere, I just agree that this will be the end of collegiate sports *as we know them*

They will change, they will adapt, there's too much money not too. Kids will continue to get scholarships, even for non revenue generating sports.

Maybe there will be advertisers on jersey's like in the NBA...maybe stadiums won't be named after former coaches, but after some corporation, I don't know how it will change, but firmly believe it will because there are way too many people, making way to money off this system to just throw in the towel. Basically a bunch of stuff where people say "back in my day" yada yada yada.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Way to assume my position...to be clear I 100% think the NCAA isn't going anywhere, I just agree that this will be the end of collegiate sports *as we know them*

They will change, they will adapt, there's too much money not too. Kids will continue to get scholarships, even for non revenue generating sports.

Maybe there will be advertisers on jersey's like in the NBA...maybe stadiums won't be named after former coaches, but after some corporation, I don't know how it will change, but firmly believe it will because there are way too many people, making way to money off this system to just throw in the towel. Basically a bunch of stuff where people say "back in my day" yada yada yada.

Well, you tell me, were you dirt poor from a bad neighborhood with no ability, other then sports, to get an education. Did you have to deal with drugs or violence or all the rest of the BS just to get to school, did you get a scholarship through athletics that allowed you to make your way out? I mean, if you did, then I guess you are right and I apologize to you. But then again, if you did, you wouldn't have that attitude because you would know what I'm talking about.

This idea that these kids won't get screwed and maybe this will happen or that will happen is nonsense. That's not the way it works. It's not the way it's ever worked. Universities paying players to attend, from the beginning, was always about money. Education was cheap to give out if you were an Academic Institution and winning games brought in money so the deal was done but this business of paying athletes to play was never something that wasn't always about money. It was never about being in the business of good will, wanting to help unfortunate people. That was never the reason and it won't be going forward. If the money incentive isn't there, and it won't be because of title nine, then there won't be a reason to throw away money by the Universities. Believe what you wish but it won't happen and you can write it down that I said it. I'm positive that if the financial benefits are not there for College Athletics, it won't continue.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is title ix. If the schools pay the football team, they have to pay an equivalent number of female athletes an equal amount. That would bankrupt most athletic departments that are already supporting women's sports as a charity..
That's an NCAA talking point, but it's not at all true.