News: Supreme Court sides with ex-players over NCAA

jrumann59

Reaction score
This has nothing, at all, to do with getting paid or not getting paid. This has to do with business. There is nothing written that says all of this can't go away and be replaced by some other means. If that happens, it won't be an education path and it will likely not be paying players a lot more money either. Business doesn't lose on these kinds of things. Yeah, there may be a short term payout to deal with the issue until a workaround is found but in the end, it will be less money, no educations offered and no long term healthcare of consequence. Educational institutes are very split on athletics as it is. Many of them see no need for Athletics so at the point it starts costing money and not making money for them, it will likely go away. That means it's not linked to higher education but rather, just a developmental league, of some sort, without the benefit of these Athletes ever being exposed to that part of life. I can't see how that would be beneficial. For Parents with Children who can't afford tuition, that will also be very painful. For College Football Fans, what stops them from just up and walking away from Universities if it's only going to cost more money? At the very least, anything outside of major powers will likely drop athletics and even major Universities will likely cut a lot of sports. Major sports support all the smaller ones but under NCAA Regs, you can't just pay some players, if you pay one, you gotta pay them all and the NCAA can't afford that.

I don't see this ending well here. So for those who love college sports, ready yourself, because this opens the door for a lot of change and that change could easily kill NCAA Athletics IMO.
Its called the law of unintended consequences.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The problem is title ix. If the schools pay the football team, they have to pay an equivalent number of female athletes an equal amount. That would bankrupt most athletic departments that are already supporting women's sports as a charity. The NCAA needs to get out of the policing for extra benefits business. The players should have a right to sell their autographs and profit from use of their image. They should have a right to work a summer job at an athletic camp and get paid. The money just can't come from the school or NCAA .
I am pretty sure Title IX covers the equal offering of sports, not compensation based on revenues.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Well, you tell me, were you dirt poor from a bad neighborhood with no ability, other then sports, to get an education. Did you have to deal with drugs or violence or all the rest of the BS just to get to school, did you get a scholarship through athletics that allowed you to make your way out? I mean, if you did, then I guess you are right and I apologize to you. But then again, if you did, you wouldn't have that attitude because you would know what I'm talking about.

This idea that these kids won't get screwed and maybe this will happen or that will happen is nonsense. That's not the way it works. It's not the way it's ever worked. Universities paying players to attend, from the beginning, was always about money. Education was cheap to give out if you were an Academic Institution and winning games brought in money so the deal was done but this business of paying athletes to play was never something that wasn't always about money. It was never about being in the business of good will, wanting to help unfortunate people. That was never the reason and it won't be going forward. If the money incentive isn't there, and it won't be because of title nine, then there won't be a reason to throw away money by the Universities. Believe what you wish but it won't happen and you can write it down that I said it. I'm positive that if the financial benefits are not there for College Athletics, it won't continue.

Kids are getting screwed now. There are kids who can't keep up academically because they still need to work while on an athletic scholarship. There are kids who can't keep up just because college academics is overwhelming for them. There are kids who get injured and lose their scholarship. There are kids who are encouraged to take "paper" classes and don't leave school with much. Yes, there will be some kids hurt by this, and it will also help some kids out.

And of course the purpose of the NCAA was never good will and was always financially driven. And it will continue to be after this ruling. Major coaches will continue to make tens of millions of dollars per year because we as a society are willing to pay that price for this form of entertainment. They will either find ways to bridge the gap or maybe a few athletic directors make a little less. If anything, boosters can now just contribute openly

csirl

Reaction score
Outside the NCAA, amateur athletes have always been able to earn from their image, public appearances, do adverts etc. The amateurism only concerns playing their sport.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Kids are getting screwed now. There are kids who can't keep up academically because they still need to work while on an athletic scholarship. There are kids who can't keep up just because college academics is overwhelming for them. There are kids who get injured and lose their scholarship. There are kids who are encouraged to take "paper" classes and don't leave school with much. Yes, there will be some kids hurt by this, and it will also help some kids out.

And of course the purpose of the NCAA was never good will and was always financially driven. And it will continue to be after this ruling. Major coaches will continue to make tens of millions of dollars per year because we as a society are willing to pay that price for this form of entertainment. They will either find ways to bridge the gap or maybe a few athletic directors make a little less. If anything, boosters can now just contribute openly

Are they? There are way more kids who never get the chance to fall behind academically because they never see the opportunity. So what happens when those scholarships all dry up? When this turns into a professional business and not a sport for Amateurs, what then? See, if you pay these players, they become employees so that means a lot of additional expense to the Universities. Eventually, just as it has in the Pros, it will become a bidding war and the sport will get down to 10 or 15 major powers. The Schools with the most money will buy all the best players so the NDs and the UTs and the Ohio States and the Bamas and the USCs will eventually dominate the landscape. The none power schools and the mid majors and the D2 schools will eventually all lose their programs. All there athletic programs. You are kidding yourself if you believe that the athletes will come out ahead. Perhaps a few will, those who have the skill to transition to the Pros, they will. Bu the overwhelming majority of them, those who were never ever going to be pros in any sport, those who were just competing for the chance to get an education, those people are done. That opportunity will not be back this way. So yeah, tell how it's so tough for those guys to make a grade.

This will not make it better and those who are attending power schools and eventually graduate, they won't be getting an education. In fact, I don't even think that particular model will last long but, those that do come out of it, they will only know the life of what it's like to be a pro athlete. They will not go to class at all because they will no longer be student athletes. They will simply struggle to adapt to the Pro Life. Coaches salaries will actually go up because there will only be a few programs and every program will pay ridiculous amounts to get the very best staff around them so those guys won't be suffering here. Now, the ones who don't get the opportunity, they will. They will be looking for a new profession but not the guys who get a gig. They will be making even more money.

Eventually, the NCAA will become a League and from there, I don't know what happens because the NFL is not going to like that. But, won't matter because the minute the protections go away for the schools, the huge majority of programs die. Thousands of kids no longer get a chance to get an education but those guys who were probably going to go on to the NFL and make money anyhow, well, they are still going to do that because you know what, God only makes a certain numbers of those people and they were always the ones moving on and making more money anyhow. Boosters, well, they are going to continue to give endowments or they are just going to find other places to invest their money because only a few will be able to play in this little circle jerk, for as long as it last, at least. So like usual, this will screw everybody else. I wish people would take 5 minutes to consider possibilities. But I'm sure that's just a little too much to ask so I won't.

This is not a good thing IMO but you guys, I'm sure you know better.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Title IX covers the equal offering of sports, not compensation based on revenues.

This is what Title 9 says:

Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 is a federal law that states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

So, this will even expedite the process of a Professional League IMO. Unless of course, some idiot in Congress proposes the idea that Collegiate sports are subsides by the government, which would probably screw things up even more then they already are but I don't see that. No, I would guess that it will not wish to get involved in any of this as there is no advantage. But, if somehow, I am wrong, I see no way for athletes of all sex, all sports, not to be included. They would all have to get paid so eventually, what will happen is the same in either case. Any sport that is not revenue generating will likely be cut. In short, almost all womens sports will effectively end.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's an NCAA talking point, but it's not at all true.
What isnt true. I filed a title IX case against Modesto City School District. I threatened one against Turlock Unified School District and they fixed the issue. I beat Modesto City Schools. What do you think is not true in regards to title IX. We will have to see how this shakes out, but if money is coming from the University itself to male athletes.... you better bet your bottom dollar title IX will come into play.

My daughter played NCAA softball and is now an NCAA D2 head coach. I coached club sports that fed NCAA institutions for 20 years. There is no doubt in my mind that NCAA sports will be coming to an end, for various reasons. The NCAA is talking about allowing athletes to unionize? It is going to soon get to the point where Universities are just not going to ant the headache or costs that go along with these sports.

There is NO D2 program in the country that is making big dollar revenue off their teams, and no players are going to make money off their likeness that play D2.

How many teams generate big TV revenue or gate revenue? Mens football and mens basketball. Thats it. There might be a team here or there that makes more than they spend, but the vast majority if sports are money losers. Both in terms of scholarship money as well as operating budgets.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Compensation cannot be based on revenues. Thats the point. According to title xi, the school cannot legally treat the women athletes any different than the men. So, if they pay the men, they also have to pay the women.