Sure Tom Brady has 7 rings but he's no Tony Romo

leeblair

Reaction score
Romo is the greatest sports commentator ever and was a great NFL QB during his playing time.

Proud to say I'm a Tony Romo fan.

Miss you #9
Romo kissed the feet of Jason Garrett and was allowed to run the Cowboys offense into the ground with his pass happy ways.
He is in no way a Hall of Fame player.
He should have been, and could have been, but he chose to ignore the fundamentals of football and tried to be the superstar.
He ignored the run game, and racked up yards outside the red zone, but then fell short inside the 20 yard line.
I had hoped for better from him, but he did it his way and the Cowboys suffered for it.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Romo is the greatest sports commentator ever and was a great NFL QB during his playing time.

Miss you #9
Tony Romo has made more mistakes that he has on the football field. Someone is not paying attention

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Miss you #9
Did you ever not hear of John Madden

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Miss you #9
I could go on and on my cowboy brother on how selfish Tony Romo was. That’s why he had BFFs. Greatest at nothing. Good at most things

KB1122

Reaction score
He had good stats but he was a stat padder.

The Ackowledged Master of the 18-play field goal drive.

He was league best at throwing useless 40 yard completions in Hail Mary situations. Because you wouldn't want the cheap interception on your stats.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When Frank Caliendo starts doing Romo in the broadcast booth, then we will know that Romo has transcended Madden.

:muttley:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Vastly overrated as a commentator. Weak voice. Spends most of his time trying to predict the next play without much regard for the overall game.
Beat me to the comment on the voice.

The other points are valid as well.

Its a unique style for sure and I'd say thats what makes him stand out amongst peers, but yeah....it can be annoying at times.

If you listen closely, he trips over his own words way too often by thinking out loud, which supports the idea of trying to predict whats next.

Not sure why he thinks anyone wants that.

Also not sure why the OP thinks Brady couldn't step into the booth and do the same if not better.

I also wonder how much Jerry's pull around the league got him that job in the first place. This way he didn't have to watch Romo potentially win elsewhere.

foofighters

Reaction score

Miss you #9
When you get your COVID shot, ask the doc about your cabin fever.

foofighters

Reaction score
Vastly overrated as a commentator. Weak voice. Spends most of his time trying to predict the next play without much regard for the overall game.
Here's the deal: compare him to what else is out there. Collinsworth is annoying most of the time. Al Michaels is great but he can't carry him. Buck is terribly annoying because he tries too hard. I don't know what is problem is. Is he trying to come out of his dad's shadow? Trying to act too manly when he's not? I don't know. Aikman can't carry him because at times, Aikman is too real and makes people angry. Romo and Nance really do have the best balance of what's going on currently. I tune most announcers out anyway or keep the volume down when they are talking but I don't mess with it when Romo/Nance do games because they are tolerable.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Exactly.....at first he was unique, and the media built him up as the greatest. I think his shtick has already grown old, and football fans are finding him extremely annoying. I predict he will be yesterday’s story sooner than later.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Enmity towards Tony Romo has been established and embedded for so long that anyone should know wording a thread title like this is akin to skeet shooting and shouting, "PULL!"

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Man I’m right there with you on this RS. Romo has some broadcasting talent, but he wears me out with the constant over-explaining of two deep safeties, formations and what play is about to unfold. To me, it’s a beating, It might actually be better on radio where you can’t see the play but are dependent on description.

I actually turn the sound down when he’s on because it’s exhausting. I just want to watch the freakin game, not attend a football clinic on predicting plays. I’m a big fan of the “less is more” approach to sports broadcasting, especially on TV because I can see what just happened.

I'm with you here. In another thread I pointed out that he got the most important play of the Cleveland-KC playoff game flat out wrong. Someone said I was nitpicking, lol. Most times you have to just let the game flow and explain what happened afterwards. Especially for big game moments. Don't get in the way and let history unfold by itself.