Surprise Top Ten Picks (Article)

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Each year at least one top ten selection surprises even those who follow the draft process very closely. Last year's draft included two such picks, with Buffalo picking running back C.J. Spiller and Jacksonville selecting California defensive lineman Tyson Alualu. The Chiefs took DE Tyson Jackson with the third pick in 2009, the Patriots ILB Jerod Mayo at #10 in 2008.

In today's "land of a thousand web sites", I'm sure someone picked some of these selections in the weeks leading up to the draft...but they were fairly surprising, even to some folks in the league.

There will certainly be some slight movement within the top ten of where the top seven or eight players in this draft end up: Denver could take DE Da'Quan Bowers instead of DT Marcell Dareus, Cincinnati could select QB Blaine Gabbert or Bowers instead of WR A.J. Green, etc.

But thinking a bit more outside of the box for this year's draft brings up some potential "wow" picks come April—open your mind before discounting these possibilities:

OT Tyron Smith to Arizona at #5:

Five years ago, the Cardinals picked Levi Brown with the fifth overall selection. If head coach Ken Whisenhunt gets a veteran quarterback to run his team in 2011 (Marc Bulger, Donovan McNabb, trade for Kevin Kolb), he may push for another offensive lineman to protect the signal caller—and Smith's ridiculous upside makes him the most likely targeted (though some teams love the athletic Nate Solder). Enough people are projecting Smith to Dallas at #9 that it's not worth a separate mention here--but people should not discount that possibility if they have in the past.

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/27836314

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Pro Football Focus graded Levi Brown out worse than Mark Colombo. I don't see how anyone could have been worse than Colombo was last year. According to them, Brown graded out dead last among starting offensive tackles, with Colombo right behind him. Yikes.

Perhaps, the Cardinals will get gun shy based on drafting Brown so high, and it not working out. Plus, they would have to pass on blue-chip defenders. Dallas has the advantage of starting Smith off at RT if they choose to do so, but I think that I would go ahead and swing him to LT. It will not take very long for Smith to surpass Free. It's only a matter of time.

I don't think Arizona will draft Smith based on these things, but you never know.

I think the other OT that you mentioned is Nate Solder.

Mark Ingram potentially going at 9 is ridiculous assertion. Ingram will most likely not go in the top 20 to 25 picks and could go in round 2. He's not an explosive outside runner. He's over rated. He is a good back but not special. He isn't going to scare NFL defenses, and teams will not have to game plan for him. Teams will know where Ingram is going to live, between the tackles. Ingram is a 5 to 10 yard runner who isn't elusive in the open field. He's a physical back who isn't good in pass protection and will likely not see third downs early. Plus, Ingram is such a physical back that he will have to be in a two back system, which is o.k. That is the NFL today; however, it goes against what some make Ingram out to be. AFC North teams will like him. Ingram isn't going to be a game breaker in the NFL, and his fumble helped Auburn win the national title.

Felix Jones is a better player, and it isn't even close.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
If the Titans draft J.J. Watt, they are crazy.

I don't think they are crazy.