Sweet...Commanders offer Gibbs 2-yr extension

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Source: Commanders offer Gibbs two-year extension

With a game crucial to their playoff hopes coming up Sunday night against the Minnesota Vikings, the Washington Commanders have offered a two-year contract extension to head coach Joe Gibbs, according to a source.

Owner Daniel Snyder has said he's confident he can convince the Hall of Fame coach, who is in his second stint with the Commanders, to stay in Washington.
In his 16th season coaching in the NFL, Gibbs' Commanders are 7-7 this year. Washington's playoff hopes are still alive as the Commanders stand two games behind the New York Giants and one game back of the Vikings with two games left in the season.

Gibbs' legacy in Washington was cemented during his first stay with the Commanders from 1981 to 1992. He led Washington to three NFL titles in four Super Bowl appearances. During that tenure he had a 124-60 record during the regular season and amassed a 16-5 postseason mark for a .762 winning percentage.

Gibbs returned to Washington for the 2004 season and has gone 28-34 since ending his NFL retirement.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
My question is will Gregg Williams and al saunders stay? I got the feeling williams only stayed because he thought he would take over.

atlanta should call greg williams.

kmp77

Reaction score
Please stay Gibbs!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
This is a move calculated to get Cowher when he does look to come back in 2009.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Man, oh, man! I hope St. Gibbs accepts this!

Please!

:laugh2:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hostile;1853725 said:
This is a move calculated to get Cowher when he does look to come back in 2009.

Could be, so even speculating that I would think Greg Williams should be ready to get out of dodge. I think atlanta will interview him at some point.

If that team were to slip on defense it could be another long year for gibbs.

Parche

Reaction score
And I hope the skins can get into playoffs so we can face them and kick their ----- out of contention :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1853725 said:
This is a move calculated to commence the ruination of Cowher's previous coaching reputation, when he does look to come back in 2009.

fixed it for 'ya:D

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
theebs;1853704 said:
My question is will Gregg Williams and al saunders stay? I got the feeling williams only stayed because he thought he would take over.

atlanta should call greg williams.

You have to believe that Gibbs extension will cause his assistants a lot of grief. The guy is coaching from the past. Parcells was perfect example of coaches coaching from the past.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Gibbs is gone either this off-season or next. Offering an extension is to avoid the perception of "lame duck" status.

redster

Reaction score
Most Commanders fans think this is a good move(check out extremeskins if you don't believe me). We have lost Sean Taylor(RIP) and a host of players to injury this season, yet we're 7-7. Gibbs has built a team with a lot of depth. However, given Gibbs' health, I doubt he's gonna stay two more years.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
redster;1853981 said:
Most Commanders fans think this is a good move(check out extremeskins if you don't believe me). We have lost Sean Taylor(RIP) and a host of players to injury this season, yet we're 7-7. Gibbs has built a team with a lot of depth. However, given Gibbs' health, I doubt he's gonna stay two more years.

I'd say the talent gap between your starters, and your depth, isn't that great

Howley54

Reaction score
redster;1853981 said:

Depth? Mostly the Commanders have JAGs backing up more JAGs. So yeah, not much dropoff from most of the starters to the bottom of the depth chart.

vaturkey

Reaction score
As a Cowboy fan stranded in No. Virginia, I can't imagine Snyder doing this. Gibb's has been hammered in the local press and talk radio. Sure the team plays hard for him, but he has shown he isn't the best talent evaluater and their use of the draft and disregard for the value of draft picks is laughable at best. With Snyders checkbook and the value of this franchise, attracting a good coach shouldn't be that difficult. Cower could do great things with this team, as long as the "Little General" opened his checkbook and kept his mouth shut. Just one man's opinion.