Switching from Windows Laptop to MacBook Air

Shunpike

Reaction score
Been a Windows guy since Windows 3.1 back in 1994. That makes 29 years. Have seen Windows 95 Windows XP Windows Vista Windows 7 10, 11 etc.

Now folks I want to try MacBook's and there is a good deal on Target for MacBook Air (2020) version. It is $799 after $200 off.

I am an iPhone user since 2008 as well and familiar with Apple's ecosystem as well. Things I like about MacBook is their long battery life, nice screen and idea of keeping everything in Apple Ecosystem. Things that scare me is my adaptability to MacOS and getting familiar with a new ecosystem.

How was the switch for you if you made the switch? What things you didn't like at first and how long did it take you to adjust. Thanks in advance for your help folks.

P.S. I admit, my interest to MacBook started after I watched the movie "Searching" :)

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MacBooks are good laptops, but they are not perfect.

Fortunately, if you get AppleCare you can take it to a local Apple store or send it off to them and they will fix it for you.

The only thing you really lose going to MacOS are most modern games and any Windows-specific software you use regularly.

That said, for most applications, there are usually suitable Mac alternatives (better in some cases) than Windows.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mac books are quality laptops.

I think a macbook air or pro would be the one Apple product I would not mind having.

If I was getting a desktop pc I would stick with windows so I could put in the individual parts in I would like.

With the laptop I would not mind as I am sure either macbook would be good enough for what I use my laptop for now.

Dunks3001

Reaction score
I bought my first Mac about 6 years ago. Like you I was a Windows guy my whole life but I had an iphone. In some strange way that I can't really explain the Mac was familiar to me because I used an iphone. It's not the same GUI but you can tell they are from the same company. I also watched an hour long video on YouTube that went over the basics of macOS and I had it down in no time.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I made the switch a while back. Keyboard shortcuts are mostly the same. I love it. Integrating into the ecosystem is nice.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
MacBooks still have the allure of better form factor and industrial design. I still have a MacBook Air from 2012 that still looks cool IMO (sans the giant bezels).

nobody

Reaction score
Mac books are quality laptops.

I think a macbook air or pro would be the one Apple product I would not mind having.

If I was getting a desktop pc I would stick with windows so I could put in the individual parts in I would like.

With the laptop I would not mind as I am sure either macbook would be good enough for what I use my laptop for now.
That right there is why I stick with PC. That being said, I've been kicking around the idea of switching to some iteration of Linux and dropping Windows.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Good choice. You’ll enjoy the Mac operating system far better than windows…