T. Boone Pickens might’ve helped Joseph Randle get drafted by the Dallas Cowboys

Reaction score
Entering the NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys were looking for a No. 2 running back to get carries behind DeMarco Murray. What they landed in the fifth round was a three-down runner that compares well to the team’s starter.

Oklahoma State’s Joseph Randle was selected by the Cowboys with the 151st overall pick, making him the 10th running back drafted. With free agent Felix Jones’ time likely done in Dallas, the Cowboys needed someone to compliment Murray, the team’s leading rusher but also someone who has missed nine games over the last two years.

Last season, Murray carried 161 times. Jones was next in line with 111 rushes, followed by Phillip Tanner with 25 and Lance Dunbar with 21. Even if Murray avoids injury, Randle should be stepping into a significant role.

“I can’t envision Murray carrying the entire load for an entire game,” Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Saturday night. “In Dunbar, we’ve got a back that we really like a lot, and he’s very natural in what he does, but he’s your third back. He’s not the guy that comes in and carries a big part of that load.”

The Cowboys are hoping Randle is capable of taking on that workload. And Jerry Jones’ relationship with Oklahoma State athletic booster T. Boone Pickens might’ve provided the Cowboys with some additional intelligence.

“We had a lot of great information about his entire Oklahoma State [career],” Jerry Jones said. “I respect and know the coach over there really well. Boone’s one of my three or four best friends there are, and Boone gets you some information over there." :laugh2:

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...oseph-randle-get-drafted-by-the-cowboys.html/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm just glad they drafted Randle he is a very good RB who can run, catch and block. He was a work horse at OSU and has been pretty much injury free.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't believe the talent we have at RB under 25 years old in Murray and Randle. IMO we stole Randle in the draft.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
I am still stunned he lasted until the fifth. I would have been ecstatic to land him in the fourth.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;5072538 said:
I can't believe the talent we have at RB under 25 years old in Murray and Randle. IMO we stole Randle in the draft.

I agree. I went into the draft hoping we could get Randle later in the draft and when I saw we picked him up I was pretty darn happy about it. The kid is a solid RB who can do all that is asked of the position

Gaede

Reaction score
I like Randle a lot. Nothing about him stands out, but he's just good all around.

Reminds me of Ridley, with the Pats.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Randle was probably my least underwhelming of the draft picks. I've watched him time and time again and I don't really think he's particularly good at anything. He doesn't have the burst or acceleration to be a break away guy. He doesn't have the balance or power to break tackles, and was brought down by arm tackles entirely too much on his film. He's got a little stutter step cut that's his best move, but it's hardly dynamic. I think he's pretty much going to get the yardage that the blocking allows, and that's about it. He'll never be a guy who covers up flaws in your run blocking. His best attribute is he's not a trainwreck in any particular area and he's been relatively healthy. He's got some nice fluidity in receiving the ball and adjusting to the ball, which is something Felix was horrible at. Can't count the amount of times Felix fell on the ground or batted the ball down like a volley ball spiker if it didn't hit him right between the numbers. He's still better than any other #2 RB on the roster by default, and at the very least he'll be more fluid in the receiving game than Felix was. I wouldn't gone RB a round earlier and gotten a better caliber of RB like Franklin, but I guess they were enthralled with Wilcox.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I think Randle may endup being the best pick of the draft when we look back 5-6 years from now. That is based upon my belief that he has a tremendous amount of potential.

Randle/Murray could be an amazing RB tandem.

Eddie

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;5072538 said:

Yep ... stated as only a Cowboy fan would.

I believe the rest of the NFL would believe otherwise.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Eddie;5072823 said:

Ok? Are you saying that players always are drafted where they should be value-wise? Because that's a laughable assertion.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;5072715 said:
Randle was probably my least underwhelming of the draft picks. I've watched him time and time again and I don't really think he's particularly good at anything. He doesn't have the burst or acceleration to be a break away guy. He doesn't have the balance or power to break tackles, and was brought down by arm tackles entirely too much on his film. He's got a little stutter step cut that's his best move, but it's hardly dynamic. I think he's pretty much going to get the yardage that the blocking allows, and that's about it. He'll never be a guy who covers up flaws in your run blocking. His best attribute is he's not a trainwreck in any particular area and he's been relatively healthy. He's got some nice fluidity in receiving the ball and adjusting to the ball, which is something Felix was horrible at. Can't count the amount of times Felix fell on the ground or batted the ball down like a volley ball spiker if it didn't hit him right between the numbers. He's still better than any other #2 RB on the roster by default, and at the very least he'll be more fluid in the receiving game than Felix was. I wouldn't gone RB a round earlier and gotten a better caliber of RB like Franklin, but I guess they were enthralled with Wilcox.
finally someone with a reasonable observation of him

Tezz

Reaction score
I think he's a change of pace back who would be a run of the mill guy if asked to carry the load for a prolonged period... 5th round pick though so I have no problem with it...

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tezz;5073038 said:
I think he's a change of pace back who would be a run of the mill guy if asked to carry the load for a prolonged period... 5th round pick though so I have no problem with it...

change of pace, true, he's way slower than Murray.

Hardline

Reaction score
We dont need "change of pace" running backs.
We need one that can fill in as a starter if the situation arises.
I dont put any stock in various running styles.
If you are a good running back you will get yardage regardless of how your style is.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Eddie;5072823 said:

Stated as only a realist-hater whose pet cat or cats did not get picked. Boo Hoo! We got a pretty good RB in the FIFTH FRICKIN ROUND. Geez!

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Hardline;5073248 said:
We dont need "change of pace" running backs.
We need one that can fill in as a starter if the situation arises.
I dont put any stock in various running styles.
If you are a good running back you will get yardage regardless of how your style is.

Yep! Agree.