T.D. says Cowboys still 'America's Team'

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sunday FEBRUARY 1, 2009 :: Last modified: Sunday, February 1, 2009 12:00 AM EST​

T.D. says Cowboys still 'America's Team'

By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff

TAMPA, Fla. — Tony Dorsett loves the Steelers. At least he does today.

Even though the Steelers can pull away from the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers in most Super Bowl wins, Dorsett doesn’t care. He’s OK — for the time being, at least — if the Steelers win their sixth Super Bowl.
“Why not root for the Steelers? Pittsburgh will always be home for me,” said Dorsett, the Hall of Fame running back who graduated from Hopewell High School in 1973.

“As a kid, I wanted to wear the black and gold. You never lose that.”

But after Dorsett finished his career at Pitt, the Steelers didn’t need a running back. They already had Franco Harris, who’s also in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Cowboys did need a running back, so they took Dorsett with the second overall pick of the 1977 NFL Draft.

Dorsett quickly points out that even if Pittsburgh beats Arizona today, the Cowboys still have an 8-7 edge over the Steelers in Super Bowl appearances.

“Dallas is still America’s Team,” Dorsett said. “We’re 1A. The Steelers are 1B.”

Dorsett went on to say that history may have treated both the Cowboys and Steelers a little differently had Dallas beaten Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XIII instead of losing 35-31.

In the third quarter of that game, tight end Jackie Smith dropped a would-be touchdown pass that would have tied the score 21-21 in the third quarter.

“Yes, I do think things would be different for both teams,” Dorsett said. “If you remember, we won the Super Bowl the previous year when I was a rookie. So that would have given us back-to-back (Super Bowl wins). If we would have won that game, maybe we would have gotten a few more guys into the Hall of Fame. But because they won four Super Bowls in the ’70s, it was the Steelers who got so many of their players into the Hall of the Fame.”

Even if the Steelers do get their sixth Lombardi Trophy today, Dorsett believes the Cowboys will soon get their sixth soon, too.

“Give the Dallas Cowboys some time,” Dorsett said. “They have a lot of talent. They just have to get some better leadership and chemistry in place. If they do, they’ll have an opportunity to catch up with the Steelers.

“I’m a big fan of the NFL,” Dorsett added. “But I’m a big Cowboys fan and a big Steelers fans. Those are my two favorite teams. If one of my two favorite teams continues to win championships, I’ll be happy.”

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Who cares?

At this stage, I am content to let someone else have that accursed moniker.

Ren

Reaction score
Non of this really matters just look at cowboys games TV ratings and compare them to everyone else even the Steelers it's not even close

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;2614382 said:
Who cares?

At this stage, I am content to let someone else have that accursed moniker.
Would it be accursed even if the Cowboys were playing tonight or is it because of recent failures?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2614380 said:
"They just have to get some better leadership and chemistry in place.”

No, Tony.

Jerry says it's overrated.

You and all of the other former players and coaches are all wrong.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2614380 said:
Dorsett quickly points out that even if Pittsburgh beats Arizona today, the Cowboys still have an 8-7 edge over the Steelers in Super Bowl appearances.

I dont agree. Wins dwarf appearances.

Winning 5 of 8 is not better than winning 6 of 7.

Not in math.
Not in football.
Not even for the guys with tinfoil hats.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief;2614390 said:
No, Tony.

Jerry says it's overrated.

You and all of the other former players and coaches are all wrong.

Former Cowboys, Staubach in particular, are all over the airwaves talking about how they're rooting for Arizona because they don't want Pittsburgh to get to #6 first. It's really sad that it has come to this.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;2614402 said:
I dont agree. Wins dwarf appearances.

Winning 5 of 8 is not better than winning 6 of 7.

Not in math.
Not in football.
Not even for the guys with tinfoil hats.

At least the one they lost was to the Cowboys. They should've lost the one to Seattle (dang officials). And they haven't won 6 yet. And they might not!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I can honestly say, I have never once cared about the americas team name.

I see it as nothing but another way for other fans and the media to mock the franchise.

As far as I am concerned I would love it if the steelers took that and all the hype and attention with them.

its nonsense that has nothing to do with football and brings un needed ridicule.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Both teams deserve to be in it but I am rooting for Arizona because they haven't sniffed the Superbowl like the Steelers.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2614408 said:
At least the one they lost was to the Cowboys. They should've lost the one to Seattle (dang officials). And they haven't won 6 yet. And they might not!

I hear ya... but it does little for me. We lost two to them first. That one that we won - wow... how close were we to going 0-3 vs that franchise. Yikes.

Seattle got totally robbed. I still cant believe it.

I agree they havent won and I hope they dont.

They lose today. Go 5-2 all in SB's.

We meet them next year. We go 6-3 in SB while they go 5-3.

Sounds good to me :)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's nice to know that when we win our Super Bowls, we win them convincingly. Nah, it doesn't matter, just win Cards.

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
I really don't care and i don't see what is the big deal about this "America's Team" crap.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Yoshimitsu;2614546 said:
I really don't care and i don't see what is the big deal about this "America's Team" crap.
I love your Avatar.