T. Jones hoping he's 'the man' at RB

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
June 2, 2005
BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter

When Thomas Jones signed with the Bears a little more than a year ago, the veteran running back embraced it as his first true opportunity to be ''the man'' in an offense.

Never given that chance by the Arizona Cardinals, the team that drafted him, and forced to split time for one season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jones thought he finally would get the respect befitting his position as the seventh selection in the 2000 draft.

After rushing for a career-high 948 yards last season, he's not back to playing second fiddle with Cedric Benson on board, but the fact is he could be a backup before the season begins.

''That was the administrative department's decision and the coaches','' Jones said Wednesday, speaking for the first time since the Bears used the fourth pick this year on Benson, the star from Texas. ''He's a guy who's here just like everyone else to help us be a better team. That's how I see it.''

Jones reiterated what the coaches have been saying, that he remains the starter. But with Benson set to collect about $15 million in total bonus money from his contract, economics dictate he will be the man soon enough. Jones signed a $10.5 million, four-year contract with a $3.5 million signing bonus to supplant Anthony Thomas.

Former offensive coordinator Terry Shea raved that Jones was the perfect fit for the old system. For every reason he was that player, he's not the guy for Ron Turner's version of the West Coast offense. The Bears want a powerful, move-the-chains back and believe they have that in Benson, whom they consider to be a souped up-version of Thomas -- faster, more explosive and with better moves.

''Actually, I think I fit this offense a little better,'' Jones said. ''Last year, I'm not sure if the offense was executed the way we wanted. There's no disappointment. I'm in a great position. I'm with a great team with young players.''

The Bears know they need two quality backs to succeed, and the backfield is one of the team's deepest positions with Adrian Peterson the third-stringer and Bryan Johnson and Jason McKie at fullback. Turner is not going to create a scenario where Jones and Benson are on the field at the same time. One edge Jones does have is he is more experienced at blitz pickup, something Benson will need to learn quickly. Jones says he will be there along the way to help Benson learn.

''When you're a high pick, you have a lot of expectations on you,'' Jones said. ''But the bottom line is you're still a rookie. When you're drafted that high, people expect a lot of things out of you because you got paid that much money or because you were rated so high. Everyone adjusts to the NFL differently.

''Some guys are in better situations than other guys, some guys are in better offenses than other guys. It just depends on the situation. Cedric's learning the offense. I'm helping as much as possible.''

NOTES: The Cleveland Browns entered the mix of teams interested in signing free-agent offensive lineman L.J. Shelton. With veteran left tackle Ross Verba threatening to sit out the season, Shelton potentially could step into a starting position. Wherever he goes, it's likely to be for only a one-year deal. If he played an entire season at left tackle, his value would be higher on the market next year than if he played guard, where the Bears want him.

Shelton already has visited Houston. Jacksonville and Kansas City also are interested in the former first-round pick of the Cardinals.

*Safety Chris Harris, the sixth-round draft choice from Louisiana-Monroe, became the first Bears pick to sign a contract. His four-year deal included a $100,000 signing bonus.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bear02.html