T.O. On The Move And T.O. Not On The Move..

Reaction score
Does anybody know what Owens numbers are catches and yards when the Cowboys move T.O. around as opposed to not moving him around? I would love to know!

Yesterday, again, Owens wasn't moved around and he had a silent game except the TD he had.

If I am not mistaken, when T.O. had the 212 yards recieving against the Niners he was moved around.

I guess when it comes down to it Jason Garrett inconsistant play calling and the unwilliness to move Owens around EVERY game has cost us once again.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
uh oh the magic route theory is back.

funny, I dont see you or anyone else making threads about why the tight ends or wr's cant get lineup properly causing the qb to do their job for them and limiting his time to look at the defense.

but hey they only had 10 days to prepare, no way in december a group of wr and tight ends could get lined up properly.

Its simply magic routes.

superpunk

Reaction score
If you need an offense to call only certain types of routes for you in order for you to be successful - or in TO's case, actually give effort - then how good are you really?

Alvin Harper ran a mean go-route.

Michael Irvin ran a mean everything-route. If the ball was in the air, the ball was Michael's. It might get picked off still, but Troy knew damn well that if he gave Michael a chance that Michael was going to do everything he could to make the play.

T.O.'s need as an elite receiver to have the offense cater to what he ACTUALLY does well is annoying. Romo gave him several opportunities to make a play, or at least bail Tony out yesterday. Owens didn't even try. Magic Routes aren't going to change that.

Reaction score
theebs;2473734 said:

funny, I dont see you or anyone else making threads about why the tight ends or wr's cant get lineup properly causing the qb to do their job for them and limiting his time to look at the defense.

but hey they only had 10 days to prepare, no way in december a group of wr and tight ends could get lined up properly.

Its simply magic routes.

Dude, that's just plain stupid! You can't tell me Owens isn't a better player on the move than a player that isn't.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't know why Garrett has strayed away from the playcalling he had last season. I don't know if he just doesn't want to be too predictable or what but aside from some receiver reverses this offense is too conservative. He'll throw a screen pass in there(btw, why in the hell would you run a screen pass with a TE? Thank goodness Witten is a warrior) and a WR reverse but his playcalling is too predictable. No TO in motion. I don't even know *** Roy is running. I don't know if he's running bad routes or what but he can't even get the damn ball.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
superpunk;2473749 said:
If you need an offense to call only certain types of routes for you in order for you to be successful - or in TO's case, actually give effort - then how good are you really?

Michael Irvin ran a mean everything-route. If the ball was in the air, the ball was Michael's. It might get picked off still, but Troy knew damn well that if he gave Michael a chance that Michael was going to do everything he could to make the play.

T.O.'s need as an elite receiver to have the offense cater to what he ACTUALLY does well is annoying. Romo gave him several opportunities to make a play, or at least bail Tony out yesterday. Owens didn't even try. Magic Routes aren't going to change that.

Well like any other receiver TO has a weakness in his game and believe it or not its not his hands its responding to press coverage. Now if you know that's a weakness of his why wouldn't you put him in motion? You did last seasson.

Reaction score
superpunk;2473749 said:

Give me a break! You work with what that player does best and for T.O. it's on the move, he has West Coast background and he uses his size/speed to his advantage.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2473734 said:

Its simply magic routes.

By any chance, do you see the "Saw" movies every Halloween? They've made what, like FIVE of them?

Pt being that watching a "Saw" movie in October is no different than watching the Cowboys in December-different year, same movie.

Reaction score
rocyaice;2473758 said:
Well like any other receiver TO has a weakness in his game and believe it or not its not his hands its responding to press coverage. Now if you know that's a weakness of his why wouldn't you put him in motion? You did last seasson.

CHAAAAAAChing! :bow:

superpunk

Reaction score
rocyaice;2473758 said:
Or maybe we could say "Hey - TO is a freak of nature. Maybe he should give a little more effort against DBs that he outweighs by 20 pounds and just freaking get open" instead of having to manipulate our offense to try and get him a free release every play, because poor widdle T.O. can't beat the jam?

The responsibility goes two ways.

Garrett could do more. We ran him on a drag route yesterday and hit it for a nice first down. That play is money with him and definitely - we could run it more.

But it's enough with covering up these enormous holes in his game by simply blaming the coaches. He bears a ton of responsibility. He's not getting paid 8 mil per season for Garrett to devise magic routes so he can actually get open.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2473767 said:
CHAAAAAAChing! :bow:

Andy Reid may be an overrated playcaller. However-if he had our arsenal, his so-called overrated playbook would look GENIOUS.

superpunk

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2473759 said:
Give me a break! You work with what that player does best and for T.O. it's on the move, he has West Coast background and he uses his size/speed to his advantage.
Yeah. He uses his size and speed to such an advantage that he can't beat press coverage unless we put him in motion and he frequently gets outmuscled and outplayed by physically inferior DBs who just want it more than he does.

He can run fast in a straight line. I'm sooooooooo impressed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
superpunk;2473775 said:
Or maybe we could say "Hey - TO is a freak of nature. Maybe he should give a little more effort against DBs that he outweighs by 20 pounds and just freaking get open" instead of having to manipulate our offense to try and get him a free release every play, because poor widdle T.O. can't beat the jam?

The responsibility goes two ways.

Garrett could do more. We ran him on a drag route yesterday and hit it for a nice first down. That play is money with him and definitely - we could run it more.

But it's enough with covering up these enormous holes in his game by simply blaming the coaches. He bears a ton of responsibility. He's not getting paid 8 mil per season for Garrett to devise magic routes so he can actually get open.

He's never been good against press coverage. Why at 35 should we expect for him to be great in press coverage.

superpunk

Reaction score
rocyaice;2473792 said:
He's never been good against press coverage. Why at 35 should we expect for him to be great in press coverage.
Hell, if he would just make an effort I'd be impressed.

Or maybe we should expect it because he's in the self-proclaimed best shape of his life and he's the highest paid player on our team. (I think.)

I don't know. His effort is unsatisfactory. He could have bailed Tony out twice yesterday. But he gives up. So there were two uncontested picks, instead of two incompletions.

But surely he would give more effort there if we just let him run the routes that he wants to run....

Reaction score
rocyaice;2473752 said:
I don't know why Garrett has strayed away from the playcalling he had last season. I don't know if he just doesn't want to be too predictable or what but aside from some receiver reverses this offense is too conservative. He'll throw a screen pass in there(btw, why in the hell would you run a screen pass with a TE? Thank goodness Witten is a warrior) and a WR reverse but his playcalling is too predictable. No TO in motion. I don't even know *** Roy is running. I don't know if he's running bad routes or what but he can't even get the damn ball.

I said it before, Roy Williams trade was a bad move, he's a non-factor.

Reaction score
superpunk;2473785 said:
Yeah. He uses his size and speed to such an advantage that he can't beat press coverage unless we put him in motion and he frequently gets outmuscled and outplayed by physically inferior DBs who just want it more than he does.

He can run fast in a straight line. I'm sooooooooo impressed.

This post makes me :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

superpunk

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2473811 said:
This post makes me *inane smiley-fest*
As always, it's clear you put alot of thought into your posts.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
superpunk;2473749 said:

Superpunk, I understand your argument. HOWEVER, I see the point that others are trying to make. Irvin ran most routes great BUT he wasn't the best deep-route guy in the game. He had much better initial quickness than T.O. whereas T.O. has much better long speed than Irvin ever did. T.O.'s initial quickness is his main weakness. So, to compensate for that, a good game planner should move him around. If you leave him stationary and a certain play or route is designed on timing, well you defeat the whole purpose of the play IF it is taking him that one extra split-second to get off the line. Not making excuses for him, but that's what it all boils down too. Plus, if he IS constantly moving, defenses can't keep bracketing him like they usually do (corner plays super press coverage with a safety only 10 yards behind him).

superpunk

Reaction score
JeffInDC;2473899 said:
Superpunk, I understand your argument. HOWEVER, I see the point that others are trying to make. Irvin ran most routes great BUT he wasn't the best deep-route guy in the game. He had much better initial quickness than T.O. whereas T.O. has much better long speed than Irvin ever did. T.O.'s initial quickness is his main weakness. So, to compensate for that, a good game planner should move him around. If you leave him stationary and a certain play or route is designed on timing, well you defeat the whole purpose of the play IF it is taking him that one extra split-second to get off the line. Not making excuses for him, but that's what it all boils down too. Plus, if he IS constantly moving, defenses can't keep bracketing him like they usually do (corner plays super press coverage with a safety only 10 yards behind him).

You can't be forced to change your entire offense because a guy getting paid 8 mil a year to be an enormous physical freak can't beat CBs off the line, and sulks when he continues to get beat up at the line. Sure it would be great if T.O. played in the arena league and he could get a running start every play, that way he didn't have to deal with defenders punching him in the face, but that's not football. Even if we get him in motion teams are going to find ways to hit him, because they know he can't stand it, and they know he'll sulk rather than fight through it.

I understand the concept. But if you're the elite WR that TO thinks he is, then you ought to be able to get off the line no matter what. He's blessed with the body for it, it's not like he's a small receiver like Ginn or Glenn and there's physical limitations there.

Pick6TerenceNewman;2473916 said:
Your just clueless.

lawl.