Tabs or Windows?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These questions are probably directed more to desktop and laptop computer users than anyone viewing the internet via a cellphone. You have an internet browser window open but you decide on navigating to another page or site without closing the window you already have open. Do you open a brand new separate browser window? Or do you open another tab inside the same window you already have open?

What sparked my question was another employee glancing at my monitor and laughing at what she saw. I prefer opening tabs inside one browser window. It makes my desktop feel less cluttered. Of course, she saw that I had 16 tabs running simultaneously and thought that was hilarious! Later, I walked to her office to spy her screen and she had seven separate browser windows open. It is a minor thing but we both think each of us use the "better" method for multiple browsing sessions happening at one time. Just curious what other folks prefer using.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I prefer the same and i hate clutter on my desktop as well. Much better for my OCD.
I know right? At any given moment, I might have my hospital's EMR, transcription database, email, Microsoft Teams, etc., programs open on multiple monitors. The last thing I prefer is chasing multiple internet windows on top or "hiding" behind those.

And I usually have my taskbar set to auto-hide so I can utilize every bit of available screen space. My co-worker laughs saying, "Why don't you just use your taskbar for navigating everything? Hee hee ha!" I counter by saying, "Why don't you simply do a Alt-Tab shortcut to switch between open programs WITHOUT needing the taskbar? Ha hee hee!"

I get competitive about the most stupid things. :laugh:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
These questions are probably directed more to desktop and laptop computer users than anyone viewing the internet via a cellphone. You have an internet browser window open but you decide on navigating to another page or site without closing the window you already have open. Do you open a brand new separate browser window? Or do you open another tab inside the same window you already have open?

What sparked my question was another employee glancing at my monitor and laughing at what she saw. I prefer opening tabs inside one browser window. It makes my desktop feel less cluttered. Of course, she saw that I had 16 tabs running simultaneously and thought that was hilarious! Later, I walked to her office to spy her screen and she had seven separate browser windows open. It is a minor thing but we both think each of us use the "better" method for multiple browsing sessions happening at one time. Just curious what other folks prefer using.
Multiple tabs is the smart way to go. Multiple browsers uses much more CPU and memory. The lady is nuts.

Creeper

Reaction score
I use tabs, but I try to keep the number under 16. :)

The only time I can think of to use a new window would be if you want to put the windows side by side and view multiple sites at the same time. The other reason is you want to view a site in privacy mode (incognito). Opening a lot of windows is just clutter to me. The whole point of tabs is to avoid that.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At home, for the most part, I just open tabs on the current browser.

When at work I use Firefox open for one site/program.

I use Chrome for some other programs but mostly for surfing sites.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I know right? At any given moment, I might have my hospital's EMR, transcription database, email, Microsoft Teams, etc., programs open on multiple monitors. The last thing I prefer is chasing multiple internet windows on top or "hiding" behind those.

And I usually have my taskbar set to auto-hide so I can utilize every bit of available screen space. My co-worker laughs saying, "Why don't you just use your taskbar for navigating everything? Hee hee ha!" I counter by saying, "Why don't you simply do a Alt-Tab shortcut to switch between open programs WITHOUT needing the taskbar? Ha hee hee!"

I get competitive about the most stupid things. :laugh:

My current desktop, heck i even do a fresh install of W/10 every 6 months to keep things fresh.
Screenshot-2.png

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
My current desktop, heck i even do a fresh install of W/10 every 6 months to keep things fresh.
LOL. Who are you kidding Foxy. We know you hid your desktop so we couldn't see all those naughty sites you frequent. :lmao:

All kidding aside. I just changed my wallpaper to the exact same one. I need to change that as well about once a week or so. I too like to keep things fresh. :D
Tabs all the way, I got 30+ tabs open right now......lol :thumbup:
LOL. That would drive me nuts!

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I'm with you DE. I use one browser to open tabs inside it. I have my favorites saved on top of page. If I need to go upon one of them, I go to the upper right hand 3 dots for drop down menu & click "Incongnito" to open a saved favorite. I use Incognito to open other sites as well w/same browser. The perimeter colors/names never change outside of the window either. Makes it easy to just look above to see your favorites & what tab is currently open.
Multiple tabs is the smart way to go. Multiple browsers uses much more CPU and memory. The lady is nuts.
No I'm not! :p

Praxit

Reaction score
...exactly what I do. Its the way I browse for the last 20+ years..lol..

Since a browser is a resource hog. The more open browse pages, the slower PC gets. Opening one browser seems most beneficial.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I do windows. I guess I've always done it that way since before tabs so why change now.