Tackles at the Senior Bowl

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Realist;3822265 said:
Why would you want both and where do you play them?

I think Sherrod is a day 1 RT. He is big and will get bigger. He can really run block. I watched the practices yesterday and they consistently ended up running behind Sherrod even when the play started to the left side away from him.

I'd play Carimi at RG instead of Bigg Davis. Carimi did look really good to me last night on tape. Playing LT next to his Wisc buddy he was very stout. He didn't look quite as good in one on one drills but they play the game in a front and he was really good there. I'd still like both players because they looked dang good to me. They were the two guys I'd want. I wasn't as big a fan of the Arkansas OL who looked a bit more stiff and out of shape.

I wouldn't rank Solder 1 right now. He has the boom or bust thing going. NFL defenders are insanely strong and I just don't see that guy stuffing bull rushes.

My OT ranking.

1) Sherrod -- highest upside (312 with lean build and massive wingspan) and ability to play either OT spot imho
2) Costanzo -- monster with best collegiate coaching so NFL ready day 1.
3) Carimi -- Big guy with good technique but overall build limits upside imho.
4) Solder -- Hear the Boselli comparisons but that's like saying Ron Dayne could have been Jim Brown. Solder doesn't approach Boselli's raw strength imho.

I really think we win 4 more games last year if we had a decent right side of the OL. Bigg and Columbo weren't below average... they were terrible. In any series of 4 plays it seemed at least one of the two would whiff on a block making it next to impossible to continue drives.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3823010 said:
Nate Solder went to Colorado, Carimi went to Wisconsin, Costanza went to BC..

These arent top, perennial powerhouse teams either. They're getting more love because they are performing better this week. That's all.

What you posted is basically saying, "yea, you are right"....

Wisconsin had a top 10 team this year and the best running game in football.
They called the Wisconsin Head Coach during the coverage of the Senior Bowl to discuss his OL in the game this week.

BC is considered the top OL program in the collegiate ranks. Every year their top player gets drafted in the top 3 rounds: See James Maarten if you doubt they get overrated.

Sherrod went to MSU where they are a bottom of the barrel choice for tv amongst SEC teams. It is a poor and small state. The attention is rather minimal. Michael Oher came out of Ole Miss and if it hadn't been for his family ties and incredible story he would have been overlooked as well. As it was he was drafted a bit low for a day 1 OL starter.

Solder is a pretty boy OL with a 6 pack. He is a tight end basically and teams view his potential but he has not been better than Sherrod this week. Not in the 5 or 6 hours of coverage I have now watched he wasn't. Did he look better in 1 on 1 drills where they both faced a mix of linebackers? Yea. Did he look better in line or against actual NFL ready DL? Nope. not even close.

We'll get another chance to grade them out Saturday.

Right now there isn't a consensus and various scouts grade them differently. Partly, it depends upon which drill you focused most on and partly it depends on which day you chose to zero in on a guy.

If I had only seen day 3, Carimi would be my top guy.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
jterrell;3823434 said:
I think Sherrod is a day 1 RT. He is big and will get bigger. He can really run block. I watched the practices yesterday and they consistently ended up running behind Sherrod even when the play started to the left side away from him.
Very smart guy who has won some scholastic awards, too.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3823455 said:
Very smart guy who has won some scholastic awards, too.

I am certainly drawn in by how he looks a lot like a former #79 at RT for the Cowboys.

MSU averaged about a yard more per carry in 2010 over 2009. They don't have a draftable RB but averaged 4.5 yards per carry. In fact they had no 1000 yard rusher but averaged just under 30 points per game and ran for over 2800 total yards in the SEC. That's where 4 or 5 really nasty, big time DL played.

I believe Sherrod is the best run blocker of the bunch at OT and I like his upside quite a lot.

acer941

Reaction score
jterrell;3823452 said:
What you posted is basically saying, "yea, you are right"....

Wisconsin had a top 10 team this year and the best running game in football.
They called the Wisconsin Head Coach during the coverage of the Senior Bowl to discuss his OL in the game this week.

BC is considered the top OL program in the collegiate ranks. Every year their top player gets drafted in the top 3 rounds: See James Maarten if you doubt they get overrated.

Sherrod went to MSU where they are a bottom of the barrel choice for tv amongst SEC teams. It is a poor and small state. The attention is rather minimal. Michael Oher came out of Ole Miss and if it hadn't been for his family ties and incredible story he would have been overlooked as well. As it was he was drafted a bit low for a day 1 OL starter.

Solder is a pretty boy OL with a 6 pack. He is a tight end basically and teams view his potential but he has not been better than Sherrod this week. Not in the 5 or 6 hours of coverage I have now watched he wasn't. Did he look better in 1 on 1 drills where they both faced a mix of linebackers? Yea. Did he look better in line or against actual NFL ready DL? Nope. not even close.

We'll get another chance to grade them out Saturday.

Right now there isn't a consensus and various scouts grade them differently. Partly, it depends upon which drill you focused most on and partly it depends on which day you chose to zero in on a guy.

If I had only seen day 3, Carimi would be my top guy.

When i watched Solder he was outstanding Stoneing Kerrigan and others. He did get beat off the line by Quick D-line. In the Team Drill he looked outstanding walling Defenders off and Running them by the QB.

Carimi did outstanding in the Team Drill but in the 1 on 1s he got beat about 50% of the time. But it was hard to get a judge on him Because most of the time we seen him he was at G, then when they finally moved him to OT the show went to COMMERCIAL!!!!!:bang2:

I don't see what you guys see in Sherrod to be worth the #1 OT Ranking yet alone a First round pick. He got beat Consistently in 1 on 1s, I can see him at the most being a Second Round pick.

Castanzo... I seen nothing to be worth a 1st Round pick.

THIS IS ALL JUDGING OFF OF THE SHORT TIME I SEEN THESE GUYS ON NFLN.
I swear seems like they either go to Commercial or Talk about some Linebacker during the time the O-line go 1 on 1.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
The Realist;3822442 said:
Bowser is made of glass.

Any team that wants him in the first 3 rounds go right ahead.

James Brewer (OL Indiana) has been beaten every way possible by just about every North defensive lineman. I've seen him bull-rushed into the passer, run around, crossed over inside, and confused at the second level. He's such a physical specimen and has a perfect frame, but he's not making an immediate impact and shouldn't go anywhere near the draft slot old teammate Rodger Saffold did.

Sherrod put Bailey right on the ground with his upper body strength and understanding of playing with leverage. I like that rebound attitude and the mean streak of Sherrod

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
acer941;3823856 said:
When i watched Solder he was outstanding Stoneing Kerrigan and others. He did get beat off the line by Quick D-line. In the Team Drill he looked outstanding walling Defenders off and Running them by the QB.

Carimi did outstanding in the Team Drill but in the 1 on 1s he got beat about 50% of the time. But it was hard to get a judge on him Because most of the time we seen him he was at G, then when they finally moved him to OT the show went to COMMERCIAL!!!!!:bang2:

I don't see what you guys see in Sherrod to be worth the #1 OT Ranking yet alone a First round pick. He got beat Consistently in 1 on 1s, I can see him at the most being a Second Round pick.

Castanzo... I seen nothing to be worth a 1st Round pick.

THIS IS ALL JUDGING OFF OF THE SHORT TIME I SEEN THESE GUYS ON NFLN.
I swear seems like they either go to Commercial or Talk about some Linebacker during the time the O-line go 1 on 1.

I know man, it is frustrating. Not only do they really show half-hearted coverage a lot of the better stuff is in other segments on shows like Road to Primetime or other junk. If I didn't have a second dvr that I can just record on non-stop I'd miss half the stuff. It takes like 3 hours to watch 8 hours of coverage because so much of it is commercials and fluff pieces.

In any series of plays these guys can change your mind. It's crazy. Sherrod looked really slow-footed on day 1 and got caught by the Zona OLB like 3 times in 1 on 1s. But then in team drills he manhandled everyone including Reed and even drove him about 5 yards inside on a run play so that he was sitting on the other OLB.

After watching Carimi in 1 on 1's I woulda sworn he was an OG as he was just so long and upright, but after seeing team portions he looked like a 10 year LT....

I want to see the game and in the end I want to see the Cowboys get an OL or 2.

The only evaluations that ultimately matter are the ones the Cowboys scouts make so I hope they are right.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
DraftCountdown Scott Wright
#Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi is in a walking boot after getting left ankle rolled. 7-10 day recovery time and won't play in #SeniorBowl game.

Sucks, but I dont think I need to see anymore. I think hes a solid starter from day 1.

acer941

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3825279 said:
DraftCountdown Scott Wright
#Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi is in a walking boot after getting left ankle rolled. 7-10 day recovery time and won't play in #SeniorBowl game.

Sucks, but I dont think I need to see anymore. I think hes a solid starter from day 1.

WOW Thats sucks i wanted to see him play against some Miller!!!:bang2:

Looks like all EYES will be on Nate Solder!!!

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
acer941;3825334 said:
WOW Thats sucks i wanted to see him play against some Miller!!!:bang2:

Looks like all EYES will be on Nate Solder!!!

Considering his stock and his position I dont think hes a likely target

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
sb ot game evaluations:

sherrod looked easily the best. he played lt on all 3 south td drives.
he consistently handled his man. run or pass he was a standout. make pierre allen looked terrible and was the only guy who slowed cam jordan.
also handled beal and kerrigan. did see one bad whiff against beal where he attempted to cut beal on a play all the way around the other end. he whiffed but beal never got in on play. on the final td pass beal didn't even attempt a pass rush as sherrod owned him.

watkins looked mightily strong but had 4 or 5 holds that could have been called. i think he is a r3 or r4 guy. Not sure he is a day 1 starter after seeing his actual game play. technique will need some work. he is a good and powerful athlete.

solder showed his athleticism but also showed how to give up a sack. he was bull rushed back and beaten inside early on. i wouldn't touch him in the top 15 but he does have the most upside of anyone.

costanzo looked like james maarten, lol. he was getting beaten as an OG... not good.

all in all the north OTs seemed overrated and were part of why the south won the game. the north qbs were harrassed and they had no running game. they definitely missed carimi and almost to a man they underperformed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah for me Carimi and Sherrod looked the best.

Followed by Brewer then Castonzo and last Solder.

Even James Carpenter looked better than Solder but I think Carpenter is a guard.

Solder was definetely better than Demarcus Love though...