Taco and Tank

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching the game... I have no quibble about the rankings... Pretty much followed what I was seeing.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I think people need to revisit the logic of using the tag on a guy because of concern that he only performed in his contract year. All the tag does is create another contract year. Now if he performs again how can we trust that it wasn't only because he was in a contract year? Or does performing in two contract years somehow ease our mind that he'll continue to perform in non-contract years?

The tag isn't the solution people seem to think it is.

It’d be better to get two years of great play out of him and letting him walk vs not using the tag at all, IMO.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
It’d be better to get two years of great play out of him and letting him walk vs not using the tag at all, IMO.

Yeah, probably. You'd be paying dearly for that second year though. I'd be inclined to sign him long-term instead and to use the tag only to the extent that I needed the leverage to get the long-term deal in place. This whole contract year phenomenon seems more based on casual observation of a few cases than on statistical analysis. My sense is that DEs that break out and become double digit sack guys tend to do it more than once. And it doesn't really matter whether they first did it in a contract year. But again, that's just my sense. No more authoritative than anyone else's and just as unsupported by statistical analysis.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I think people need to revisit the logic of using the tag on a guy because of concern that he only performed in his contract year. All the tag does is create another contract year. Now if he performs again how can we trust that it wasn't only because he was in a contract year? Or does performing in two contract years somehow ease our mind that he'll continue to perform in non-contract years?

Very reasonable logic!

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I clicked only to see the explanation for tacos good olaybcuz I don't remember him doin anything significant the entire game.

They trying to make me hate him.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

It's more than likely a better solution than ponying up at the end of the season. If DLaw gets 12+ sacks, he's likely going to want a contract based off of that, not his 20 or so career sacks he'd have if he hits 12. Tagging him this year, does create another contract year, but it also gives us a larger sample size to see if he can duplicate the results. If he does it again, we can pay him elite money, but hopefully we keep the guarantees reasonable, so we can get out if need be.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
It's more than likely a better solution than ponying up at the end of the season. If DLaw gets 12+ sacks, he's likely going to want a contract based off of that, not his 20 or so career sacks he'd have if he hits 12. Tagging him this year, does create another contract year, but it also gives us a larger sample size to see if he can duplicate the results. If he does it again, we can pay him elite money, but hopefully we keep the guarantees reasonable, so we can get out if need be.

Yeah there's some sense to that. You pay a premium for the tag year but get greater certainty that you're striking the right long-term deal.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yeah there's some sense to that. You pay a premium for the tag year but get greater certainty that you're striking the right long-term deal.

yea, barring injury, he's probably going to put up a crazy number in the sack category, which means he's likely to cost us $13 million. Considering his play prior to this season wasn't worth any where near this, he really has all the leverage, similar to Anthony Spencer, since the tag may be more than he would get on the open market. Hopefully if we tag him, he signs it immediately and shows up in shape at camp, then we can likely expect at least good production.

edit: $17 million, not $13 million, I was looking at 2014 numbers...

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
edit: $17 million, not $13 million, I was looking at 2014 numbers...

Ouch! That's lower-end-of-the-range franchise QB money. A lot of money to pay just to learn that 12 sacks wasn't a fluke. Especially when you still won't know, however capable the guy proves to be, that he'll continue to put forth the necessary effort once the size of future pay checks no longer depends on it.

Yeah, I'd think hard about applying the tag. We're gonna take risk by betting long-term on D-Law regardless. Do we really want to pay him QB money for a year in order to hopefully minimize some (but not all) of that risk?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
JBkknSv.jpg

Those are tacos stats to date.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If PFF is so great at rating player performances, why are they wasting their time running a website?

Shouldn't they be in the scouting department of some NFL team and making some nice cash?

The reason is simple. Because they are no more adept at analyzing players than we are. They created their own ratings system, then judge each player's performance based on their own idea of what they feel is acceptable. They are geniuses only in their own minds.