Taco not practicing today

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
And Richard signed off on the Trysten Hill pick instead of having a clear path pulling the pick of the litter from the safety class.

It doesn't appear Marinelli being gone would make a lot of difference.

I still feel Richard looked unhappy most of the draft day weekend via the war room cam. I don't think he was getting his say much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get why Marinelli is given the blame for this one.

McClay is the scouting director. Even if Marinelli wanted Charlton, it's McClay's job to give the coaches what they need, not what they want.

Here's an article that talks about McClay being in favor of the pick over T.J. Watt:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-pushing-taco-charlton-over-tj-watt-nfl-draft

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...top-draft-picks-taco-charlton-and-chid-431541

It was a misevaluation by McClay's troops. Marinelli likely wants every defensive lineman who fits his scheme. The personnel people are the ones who have to say no.

Because nobody championed the pick more than Marinelli did. And nobody had more 'questions' about Watt's fit in a 4-3 defense than Marinelli did. If you want to assess blame to McClay as well? Sure, he's responsible as well. But Marinelli and Garrett were leading that charge. So they get the lion's share of blame from me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well at least I don’t have to hear those jokes anymore. And fans who can’t get TJ Watts nuts out of their mouth? You can now rue in peace lol.

Yeah and you keep on trying to minimize monumental failure while blaming fans for this. You sure showed them!
:facepalm:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

We haven't exactly been spectacular in that area, have we?

I wonder how it compares to other positions. ...

Currently, we have seven DL on the team out of 14 (not including Taco, but including Jelks on IR and Gregory on suspension).

During the same time period, we have drafted seven linebackers. Two of them are still on the roster (although I think you'd have to consider Hitchens and Wilson successes, and Covington is on PS).

In the secondary, we have drafted 10 players. Six are on the roster (one on PS).

On offense, two QBs (1 kept), five RBs (two kept, one on IR) five receivers (two kept, one on PUP), three TEs (one kept, although Swaim was success) and five OL (three kept).

I went through it quickly so my numbers could be off slightly.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Because nobody championed the pick more than Marinelli did. And nobody had more 'questions' about Watt's fit in a 4-3 defense than Marinelli did. If you want to assess blame to McClay as well? Sure, he's responsible as well. But Marinelli and Garrett were leading that charge. So they get the lion's share of blame from me.
I get the tendency to blame the old man, but who is in charge of the draft again? Nobody had to listen to him. Nor did they have to nod their heads in agreement. Especially after the "quick twitch" draft.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get the tendency to blame the old man, but who is in charge of the draft again? Nobody had to listen to him. Nor did they have to nod their heads in agreement. Especially after the "quick twitch" draft.

You'd have to tell me who you think is "in charge of the draft" because I don't see any one person making all of the decisions. But if you need them, I'm sure I can dig up plenty of examples saying that Taco was Marinelli's guy, followed of course by everyone getting on the same page.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Sigh.

Not that I'm a huge Taco fan or anything, but this is not how you handle things.

So how do you handle it? They have decided that they have better players then him and held in trying to get some kind of value for him. It would have been handle wrong for the organization if they just released him without trying to get something in return.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
His handling of Jourdan Lewis has been inexcusable and shows how inflexible he is as a coach. He doesn't tailor his scheme around the talent. The talent has to fit his template to have any real role in his defense.
Big facts hence my disdain for Richard as well.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Marinelli is going to champion picking any lineman who he believes fits his scheme. That's his position and who he is. One of the reasons he failed at being a head coach is that he was not very good at picking the players. If the Cowboys don't understand that, it's their fault. Input from the coaches is always something that should be considered, but if a scouting director lets that influence him to choose a player the coach likes over one he believes will be better, then he's not very good at his job.

McClay bears the brunt of the responsibility because personnel acquisition is his job. Marinelli, Garrett, Richard, Moore can all make suggestions, but at the end of the day, the draft is on McClay. The only time it would not be is if Jerry or Stephen vetoed his pick.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
And then they can't figure out why the guy doesn't want to be there lol. We have 2 sacks on the season tied for 28th and they won't play him when he was probably our best d lineman in camp and preseason. Bunch of bum coaches with big egos it looks like.
We have no clue on what is going on behind the scenes to make this type of judgement. For all we know, he is being a total tool.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
So how do you handle it? They have decided that they have better players then him and held in trying to get some kind of value for him. It would have been handle wrong for the organization if they just released him without trying to get something in return.
I was talking about how Taco handled it, but the team is not blameless in this.

without knowing the specifics (is he fighting with coaches?), it would seem to me that:
1) he's a better pass rusher than what we've seen from the RDE position the last 2 games, so this is actually hurting the team

and

2) you don't increase a player's trade value by keeping him inactive the last 2 weeks

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marinelli is going to champion picking any lineman who he believes fits his scheme. That's his position and who he is. One of the reasons he failed at being a head coach is that he was not very good at picking the players. If the Cowboys don't understand that, it's their fault. Input from the coaches is always something that should be considered, but if a scouting director lets that influence him to choose a player the coach likes over one he believes will be better, then he's not very good at his job.

McClay bears the brunt of the responsibility because personnel acquisition is his job. Marinelli, Garrett, Richard, Moore can all make suggestions, but at the end of the day, the draft is on McClay. The only time it would not be is if Jerry or Stephen vetoed his pick.

No, at the end of the day, the draft is still on GM Jerry Jones. He breaks the ties, not Will McClay.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Pretty sure Taco gets released straight up today by 3 PM.

Doubt this team gets anything for Taco in a trade, bottom of the waiver wire teams or not.

links18

Reaction score
I don't get it. I guess there are limited roster spots and injuries are mounting, but we haven't exactly been lighting it up in the pass rush department. Throw him out there against Miami, see what he does. There is no reason why you can't just cut him later.

Status
Not open for further replies.