Taco: What should we expect?

Rayman70

Reaction score
First,aint it kinda hard to deem it a "failure" if you can't get on the field of play? lol...Whether that's on Taco or the coaches...we just dunno yet. Lets cool our jets right now on any "bust or failure" talk. Its his 2nd year...and all I wanna see is him on the field playing hard. Lets see what he does in his 2nd THEN 3rd year. Not every player can step into the league and be a stud day 1. Some take some time.

Proof

Reaction score
Yes. He has time to eventually pan out. I'm not suggesting otherwise unless he regresses from his rookie year which was already pretty anemic.

I'm just saying in order to justify his draft slot he needs to turn it on sooner rather than later. You can find projects who make a player in year 4 in the later rounds.

should probably stop obsessing over draft slot, as it's over and done with. just hope for him to be a valuable contributor and the the D as a whole is good

aria

Reaction score
I know where you're coming from, but a couple of things. the team only had 3 sacks against that woeful offensive line, (with D-Law having one as well) and most players and teams in general tend to get the bulk of their numbers against the lesser teams. Can't penalize him for it
I’m not penalizing him for it but I’m not really impressed by it either. Regardless, hopefully he proves me wrong and has a breakout in the next year or two max, otherwise I’ll consider him a bust.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I am hoping to see some pics of a couple players as we progress towards camp. Taco is actually top of that list, my hope is he has added some size and strength this off-season. Not gonna get into sack #'s or anything, but will look at him positively or negatively depending on what and how he has remade his body.
Apart from all the draft picks and the hoopla, I'm also hoping that soon to be starting free safety has also bulked up a bit. Xavier Woods looks like he has got the job by default, seeing it wasn't addressed at all. Will be very interesting to see how he has gone about getting ready to play a far larger roll.
Their are plenty of others who we will all dissect endlessly as camp gets underway. But Taco and Woods will be the first two I will be looking at.

Verdict

Reaction score
First,aint it kinda hard to deem it a "failure" if you can't get on the field of play? lol...Whether that's on Taco or the coaches...we just dunno yet. Lets cool our jets right now on any "bust or failure" talk. Its his 2nd year...and all I wanna see is him on the field playing hard. Lets see what he does in his 2nd THEN 3rd year. Not every player can step into the league and be a stud day 1. Some take some time.

If he fails to get on the year as a STARTER in year two he is a failure for year two.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I haven't read every page so someone else may have pointed this out but DLaw was drafted 5 positions lower (2nd round 2nd pick) and took until his contract season to really bust out. Taco had 3 sacks in 15 games vs DLaw's 0 sacks in 9. They each had about the same number of tackles prorated.

We don't know what we have yet but he is actually ahead of DLaw at this point in his career. I have no idea if he will play up to a the 28th pick in the draft (all 1st rounders aren't the same) but he isn't really off track. If you go back and look at all of the DE's that were taken in the draft before and after him, he is doing fairly normal. The best season was from Takkarist McKinley for Atlanta who had 6 sacks. Taco is the 2nd most with 3. We fans need to give this kid a chance.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
People were reading DLAWS' eulogy on this board before last season. Are these the very same folks ready to deem Taco a bust/failure already? Too many chicken littles for fans. The sky is NOT falling guys.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
I haven't read every page so someone else may have pointed this out but DLaw was drafted 5 positions lower (2nd round 2nd pick) and took until his contract season to really bust out. Taco had 3 in 15 games vs DLaw's 0 in 9. They each had about the same number of tackles prorated.

We don't know what we have yet but he is actually ahead of DLaw at this point in his career. I have no idea if he will play up to a the 28th pick in the draft (all 1st rounders aren't the same) but he isn't really off track. If you go back and look at all of the DE's that were taken in the draft before and after him, he is doing fairly normal. The best season was from Takkarist McKinley for Atlanta who had 6 sacks. Taco is the 2nd most with 3. We fans need to give this kid a chance.
Not quite true. Derek Barnett had 5.5 playing about 25% of the defensive snaps. He had the most pressures by any rookie DL. He willl be a monster this year.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I was looking at players we had a chance to draft. He was picked at 14 which is 14 picks before us. We didn't have the opportunity to pick him. Top 15 picks are very different. They are the 15 best players in the country. The bottom on the first round is much tougher to pick gems in. That's why some teams trade out of the first round. Not all first round slots are the same. Heck Myles Garrett had 7 sacks. Why didn't we draft him?

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Heading to a contest for taco trucks in San Antonio today. So I expect to be eating about a dozen different types of tacos this afternoon.