Taco's draft grades revisited

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
As long as some are fawning over what "experts" have to say about the Cowboys draft, let's revisit our favorite first round pick of recent years - Taco! Lots of A- grades, highest graded first rounder in the division:

Taco in Dallas is too good to be true. He could be the transformational pass rusher the Cowboys need on that side of the ball. Huge need filled by arguably the second-best player at that position.

While Charlton is steady enough against the run that he can be trusted on early downs, Marinelli figures to unleash him most often bending the edge vs. the pass. This fills a need for Dallas, and at a good value.

One team told us early in the draft process that they regarded Taco Charlton as a top-10 prospect. That changed a bit throughout the spring, but Charlton still provides solid value at No. 28 overall.

The Cowboys really struggled to rush the passer last season, and Charlton will help draw double teams that will allow other Dallas pass rushers to have an easier route to the opposing quarterback.

Hmmm...looks like they may have been a bit off in their expectations. I guess there's something to the notion of waiting to see how a guy actually plays before deciding whether he can or not.

"Taco Charlton In Dallas Is Too Good To Be True."

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looking at the list of DE drafted after taco only 1 guy had comparable stats through the 4th round. People still stuck on the fact late 1st round players are really not considered 1st round talent. They are 2nd round talent selected in the 1st.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Happens every year to every team. Every GM will over value a player.
And they know that as well. They just saddle up and ride again. And we never hear from them but a lot of the time they wonder if they're taking the ugliest one in the litter because they need a puppy.

They're like weather forecasters, they know they're going to be wrong a lot.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Then, for the flip side of the coin, go look at the negative draft comments attached to Vander Esche last year.

It all points to the same thing - the draft is a crap shoot, and any certainty at this point is vapor-analysis.

We won't know until these guys hit the field, and sometimes won't know until 2-3 years later (see Demarcus Lawrence).

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Taco was literally the one realistic pick I didn’t want that year lol but to be fair I felt the same about LVE lol

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Am I the only one that remembers in DLaw's 4th year, heading into training camp, there were calls to cut him?

Some guys don't 'get it' until year 3 or 4. The patience with DLaw paid off.

And if Gregory could have gotten his head screwed on right, the patience with him was paying off too. .

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
There was no issue with where taco was drafted. He was a consensus #1 pick.

I still contend if Watt's last name was Smith, no one would have been pounding the table for him.

There's no question that this is true. But it perhaps would not be true if Watt's last name was "Matthews" or "Manning". There's good reason to believe that desirable traits and attitudes are largely determined by heredity and immediate (such as family) environment.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Looking at the list of DE drafted after taco only 1 guy had comparable stats through the 4th round. People still stuck on the fact late 1st round players are really not considered 1st round talent. They are 2nd round talent selected in the 1st.
That guy was my pet cat. What was his name?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That guy was my pet cat. What was his name?

I'll have to look but Cincy had 2 guys drafted that are pretty good. 1 has similar stats to taco and the other Lawson i think had 8 sacks year 1 and was injured all of last year. A lot of guys selected in round 2 and 3 that have much worse stats than taco.