Tag & Trade Scenario: Dak to Seattle?

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
im not ready for Dak's story here to be over.
but if you tell me theres no choice...i pray we get Russell Wilson.
thats the only way i accept fate.
sorry....we've grown Dak...i wanna see the fruits.

You already have seen the fruits. He’s not getting any better. Quarterbacks rarely do at this point - after 5 years in the league we can be rather sure what we are getting.

Watch me make enemies with both sides now.

Dak Prescott is capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl with the right weapons around him.

Dak threw for nearly 5000 yards and 30 touchdowns with another 3 on the ground. That’s his peak and it’s not bad at all, stats wise.

However he’s also the same quarterback who lost 4 of his last 6 games in 2019 in an unprecedented collapse. Don’t give him the credit for those stats without giving him the blame for 2019.

If it’s Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott that’s not even a comparison. It’s Russell Wilson every single day.

sacase

Reaction score
Honestly, what is the point with Dak anymore? He clearly doesn't want to play here. The Cowboys are offering a generous contract that is more than fair. Dak is really holding their feet to the fire while claiming that he loves the team and wants to be here. These are not the actions of someone that wants to be in Dallas. Just get rid of him and tag and trade or cut him and roll with Dalton and draft a QB. Let some other team deal with the anchor around their neck with him. Despoite what he says he is selfish. If they ran out of time last year they should have just updated the numbers a bit and ran it back already, but no, its nothing but drama with this dude. He is simply not worth the drama.

cowboyec

Reaction score
You already have seen the fruits. He’s not getting any better. Quarterbacks rarely do at this point - after 5 years in the league we can be rather sure what we are getting.

Watch me make enemies with both sides now.

Dak Prescott is capable of leading a team to the Super Bowl with the right weapons around him.

Dak threw for nearly 5000 yards and 30 touchdowns with another 3 on the ground. That’s his peak and it’s not bad at all, stats wise.

However he’s also the same quarterback who lost 4 of his last 6 games in 2019 in an unprecedented collapse. Don’t give him the credit for those stats without giving him the blame for 2019.

If it’s Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott that’s not even a comparison. It’s Russell Wilson every single day.
he's better now than he was 5yrs ago.
any QB worth a damn gets better as time moves along...game prep,film study,,technique, the mental aspects of QBing,personal training,nutrition...all those things they should be doing when no one is watching.
physically he is what he is....but the other things....they will tell you....they get better at the longer they've been in the league.
they say they're a better player than they were just coming into the league.
no reason to believe Dak's over all play won't improve...or that he won't continue to develop.
he has every year.
he's still young so its not like the physical side is declining....eventually it will.
but not now.
i think his best is still in front of him.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
im not ready for Dak's story here to be over.
but if you tell me theres no choice...i pray we get Russell Wilson.
thats the only way i accept fate.
sorry....we've grown Dak...i wanna see the fruits.

I feel the same.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think Seattle or Patriots would be the only teams Dak would do the tag and trade deal.
Seattle is a better fit with similar offensive philosophy that could take advantage of his mobility and use his arm in the deep passing game.

Here's some things that you either don't know or are overlooking. First, Wilson has not asked to be traded and he has a no trade clause in his contract. Second Seattle has not stated they are trying to trade Wilson. In fact Wilson was very involved with getting their new OC and Wilson has said how much he is looking forward to working with him. Since Jason LaCanfora made his COMPLETELY wild and specutated article that because Wilson said something about what needs to be done and Seattle management said they wished he said that in private, LaCanfora then said Wilson wanted out and Seattle was trying to trade him. After that article teams have contacted Seattle to hear that Wilson isn't being traded.

Now LaCanfora completely forgot that back in 2018 Wilson said the same thing and what happened, Seattle signed him to a contract that at the time made him the highest paid player in the NFL WITH a no trade clause.

Since LaCanfora's article there have been users here that just ate up LaCanfora's speculation and started threads all about trading Prescott to Seattle for Wilson. Besides the no trade clause, the chances that Jones will trade Prescott after for the past 3 years has been saying he is their QB for now and the future are less than zero.

My guess is the users that keep starting Prescott for Wilson threads do so because they are really Prescott haters and do that to get all the Prescott haters to jump in with there regular comments they have for getting rid of Prescott.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I think Seattle or Patriots would be the only teams Dak would do the tag and trade deal.
Seattle is a better fit with similar offensive philosophy that could take advantage of his mobility and use his arm in the deep passing game.

His mobility? That is yet to be seen. He will never be as mobile as he was with that stiff ankle.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Here's some things that you either don't know or are overlooking. First, Wilson has not asked to be traded and he has a no trade clause in his contract. Second Seattle has not stated they are trying to trade Wilson. In fact Wilson was very involved with getting their new OC and Wilson has said how much he is looking forward to working with him. Since Jason LaCanfora made his COMPLETELY wild and specutated article that because Wilson said something about what needs to be done and Seattle management said they wished he said that in private, LaCanfora then said Wilson wanted out and Seattle was trying to trade him. After that article teams have contacted Seattle to hear that Wilson isn't being traded.

Now LaCanfora completely forgot that back in 2018 Wilson said the same thing and what happened, Seattle signed him to a contract that at the time made him the highest paid player in the NFL WITH a no trade clause.

Since LaCanfora's article there have been users here that just ate up LaCanfora's speculation and started threads all about trading Prescott to Seattle for Wilson. Besides the no trade clause, the chances that Jones will trade Prescott after for the past 3 years has been saying he is their QB for now and the future are less than zero.

My guess is the users that keep starting Prescott for Wilson threads do so because they are really Prescott haters and do that to get all the Prescott haters to jump in with there regular comments they have for getting rid of Prescott.

Jerry says a lot of fluff to keep the hype going. He always paid the players he wanted, and negotiations lasted only one season. The scenario with Dak is different, and he clearly isn’t taking any real actions to keep him long term.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This might make the least sense of all proposed big trades.

Dak would have to want to go a team with worse weapons and a poor OL. And SEA would have to want to pay MORE than Russ money to him.
Teams are not going to play tag and trade unless there is an agreed upon extension. And that gets into timing issues which require Dak to be fully on board with the long term contract.

Dallas would get a QB 5 years older who has played heavily based upon quickness/athleticism and on a 3 year deal now at the money they didn't wanna pay Dak over 4 years.
Cap hits of 32M, 37M, 40M.
Oh and of course Russ wants more money in an extension.

Franchise QBs move VERY infrequently and 90% of the time they do it is because they lost their starting jobs or they aged up out of a teams future plans.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Jerry says a lot of fluff to keep the hype going. He always paid the players he wanted, and negotiations lasted only one season. The scenario with Dak is different, and he clearly isn’t taking any real actions to keep him long term.

That's a pile of crap. Jones isn't going to say the same thing for THREE YEARS as fluff. He's been on the record of saying that way to many times for it to be fluff. Second, just a couple of years ago Jones tagged Lawrence and then the next season he tagged him again and then about 10 days later he signed him to a long term deal. Even though Jones has repeatedly said what he thinks about Prescott he can't hold a gun to his head to make him sign and even though he wants him he's not going to pay more than what he feels he can go. Just because you want Prescott gone doesn't make what you say any where close to being the facts.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
he's better now than he was 5yrs ago.
any QB worth a damn gets better as time moves along...game prep,film study,,technique, the mental aspects of QBing,personal training,nutrition...all those things they should be doing when no one is watching.
physically he is what he is....but the other things....they will tell you....they get better at the longer they've been in the league.
they say they're a better player than they were just coming into the league.
no reason to believe Dak's over all play won't improve...or that he won't continue to develop.
he has every year.
he's still young so its not like the physical side is declining....eventually it will.
but not now.
i think his best is still in front of him.

OK, we disagree then I guess. Yes, he’s better now than he was his rookie year, but he has definitely leveled out over the past three years.

Go pick a few quarterbacks who have played at least a decade in the NFL. Look at their performance in their fifth full year as a starter and compare it with their subsequent years. The answer will be self-evident.

Quarterbacks are what they are after 5 years, with few exceptions. Some do continue to grow a little bit longer but you’ll find no quarterbacks better in their 10th year than say their 6th year.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
OK, we disagree then I guess. Yes, he’s better now than he was his rookie year, but he has definitely leveled out over the past three years.

Go pick a few quarterbacks who have played at least a decade in the NFL. Look at their performance in their fifth full year as a starter and compare it with their subsequent years. The answer will be self-evident.

Quarterbacks are what they are after 5 years, with few exceptions. Some do continue to grow a little bit longer but you’ll find no quarterbacks better in their 10th year than say their 6th year.
QB's are dependent upon the other 10 guys so I look at other things.
How are his mechanics? They got better.
His footwork? It got better.
His decision making? It got faster.

Everything else is everything else.

But whatevs. I'm not changing your mind.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Honestly, what is the point with Dak anymore? He clearly doesn't want to play here. The Cowboys are offering a generous contract that is more than fair. Dak is really holding their feet to the fire while claiming that he loves the team and wants to be here. These are not the actions of someone that wants to be in Dallas. Just get rid of him and tag and trade or cut him and roll with Dalton and draft a QB. Let some other team deal with the anchor around their neck with him. Despoite what he says he is selfish. If they ran out of time last year they should have just updated the numbers a bit and ran it back already, but no, its nothing but drama with this dude. He is simply not worth the drama.

So when Emmitt Smith held out for 2 games, you was in favor of trading him???

I’m amazed how folks claim to know what offers and terms are on the table.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Man this off season is going to be long. On my way home, CBS sports radio was talking about the Bears qb situation and how Derek Carr would be in upgrade. Then the host said forget Carr, the Bears should trade for Prescott and give up 3 1st for him. The host even said that the Bears haven’t had a good qb since Cutler and they should call the Cowboys immediately. He said they should not hang up the phone until a deal is done because Dak is a top 10 Qb. Can’t wait for this drama gets resolved somehow.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Just God please dont let Russel Wilson somehow go to WFT.