Tagliabue Ruling Today Could Mean The End Of Sean Payton In New Orleans

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Hostile;4895732 said:
Parcells was not tied to any team at the time. Payton is. That's a pretty big difference.

True but my point was more directed to Jerry and his control issues he has. That maybe the cycle is coming around to where he relinquishes control to someone else to get this thing moving back in the right direction. We are stagnant right now. We aren't as bad as we were when Parcells took over but it's pretty much the same results. No playoffs and disappointing seasons. This doesn't apply to just hiring Payton. It may be time for him to give full reigns to another coach.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
AbeBeta;4895768 said:
Nice work there!

Can you tell me how a contract is viewed though? Having a deal in place to make money for the next five years isn't the same as earning that money, right?

Also what happens if someone simply delays the proceedings over and over? Doesn't that play to the monetary advantage of the spouse who earns less?
Since NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, I don't think a court would be able to divide money that hasn't been earned yet. I suspect it could be argued though, and might be an interesting issue for an appeal.

And yes, generally in a large estate divorce, the spouse who isn't earning as much is going to want to delay the finalization of the divorce, because there will be more to divide, and because they are usually still receiving the benefit of the higher-earning spouse's employment while the case is pending. There's also limited post-divorce maintenance, or "alimony," that can be considered as well, and I'd suspect would be an issue in this case.

But there are two parties to the divorce, and either one can set the case for trial, so it's not as though the high-earning spouse has no control over how long the case is pending. If Payton wants it over faster, he has the ability to press the issue.

Plankton

Reaction score
peplaw06;4895891 said:
Since NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, I don't think a court would be able to divide money that hasn't been earned yet. I suspect it could be argued though, and might be an interesting issue for an appeal.

unless you are fired for cause, NFL coaches contracts are fully guaranteed.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
peplaw06;4895891 said:

His deal would be fully guaranteed. But the money not yet earned. Of course, if you can argue for that to be divided, why wouldn't you be able to argue a "projected" income perspective? Whether he signs a deal or not, it is clear that he's going to be earning at a rate commensurate with the top 5-10 coaches in the NFL.

All of this continues to make me question how his divorce has anything to do with his contact status

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
AbeBeta;4896356 said:
His deal would be fully guaranteed. But the money not yet earned. Of course, if you can argue for that to be divided, why wouldn't you be able to argue a "projected" income perspective? Whether he signs a deal or not, it is clear that he's going to be earning at a rate commensurate with the top 5-10 coaches in the NFL.

All of this continues to make me question how his divorce has anything to do with his contact status
If his contract is guaranteed, I could see an argument either way. Would have to do the research. I don't know that it would be clear cut.

It may not be the primary concern of his, but I would be shocked if he weren't considering the effect of a new contract re: the divorce. I wouldn't expect him to take a year off or anything crazy, but I would assume he's asked his attorney about the ramifications of signing a new deal.