Take a breath

glimmerman

Reaction score
So far I don’t see much to worry about. We are signing our own players and getting healthy.

Look, this team got to the second round of the playoffs last year. With injuries on the O-Line. They will be healthy and Dak has another TC with them and a whole year with Cooper now.

The only way I see us taking a hit and getting worse is if we lose D-Law. Irving wasn’t there all year and Gregory didn’t do that much till late in the season and drew some penalties at bad times also. I think we will sign D-Law.

We lost beasley and that sucks but his production can be replaced if the FO does it right. You can’t plug Noah Brown in there. Thing is that beasley was quick and Dak was comfortable with him. That catch in the giants game was sweet. He had hands. But Witten will help out with the TE position more than he will hinder it.

I think we make the playoffs this year pretty easily. Once you get there anything can happen. JG is my only concern. He has hit his ceiling and gets outcoached in the playoffs. So I am hoping our OC and DC gets our players rolling in the right direction.

I think Richard doing interviews instead of concentrating on the rams game plan hurt. The rams game looked like a Marinelli called game all the way.

We knew there was going to be no splash in the FA. Let’s look forward to the draft. Grab us a couple of instant impact players. Sign our own and set back and watch. Another camp for Jaylon and LVE to get better.

We should be off the hook this year if Moore is half as smart as some think.

Sydla

Reaction score
The odds of landing a couple of instant impact rookies with no first round pick is unlikely. Even LVE took some time to get acclimated to the game. Gallup had a nice rookie year but certainly didn't light the league on fire. Williams, at best, had an up and down year.

I like them all mind you, but counting on rookies to make immediate impacts and start right away and play like vets is a big reach, especially for guys taken in the 3rd round or lower.

The last rookie we took that hit the ground running and was an immediate impact starter was Martin.

And that's why this year was probably even a better year to spend a little bit of cash and bring in an immediate impact player in FA. Because you don't have a full compliment of picks in this draft, including your first round pick.

LittleD

Reaction score
No use to worry about this team. We have Garrett and Dak which is far removed from Belicheat and Brady.
The Pats have a winning tradition and the magic sauce. We obviously don't and most likely never will again.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So far I don’t see much to worry about. We are signing our own players and getting healthy.

Look, this team got to the second round of the playoffs last year. With injuries on the O-Line. They will be healthy and Dak has another TC with them and a whole year with Cooper now.

The only way I see us taking a hit and getting worse is if we lose D-Law. Irving wasn’t there all year and Gregory didn’t do that much till late in the season and drew some penalties at bad times also. I think we will sign D-Law.

We lost beasley and that sucks but his production can be replaced if the FO does it right. You can’t plug Noah Brown in there. Thing is that beasley was quick and Dak was comfortable with him. That catch in the giants game was sweet. He had hands. But Witten will help out with the TE position more than he will hinder it.

I think we make the playoffs this year pretty easily. Once you get there anything can happen. JG is my only concern. He has hit his ceiling and gets outcoached in the playoffs. So I am hoping our OC and DC gets our players rolling in the right direction.

I think Richard doing interviews instead of concentrating on the rams game plan hurt. The rams game looked like a Marinelli called game all the way.

We knew there was going to be no splash in the FA. Let’s look forward to the draft. Grab us a couple of instant impact players. Sign our own and set back and watch. Another camp for Jaylon and LVE to get better.

We should be off the hook this year if Moore is half as smart as some think.

Don’t bring up the injuries.

The cowboys didn’t suffer anymore injuries last season, then any other team. And guess what? The cowboys will have more injuries this upcoming season. There’s bound to be at least one key player who is going to go down for the whole season.

So I get the overall point of your post. But it’s never a valid argument to say “they will be healthier” this upcoming season. The truth is, the overall team could just as easily suffer MORE injuries this upcoming season.

That’s why it’s importsnt to have as much talent and depth as possible to pick up the slack once guys start going down.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Don’t bring up the injuries.

The cowboys didn’t suffer anymore injuries last season, then any other team. And guess what? The cowboys will have more injuries this upcoming season. There’s bound to be at least one key player who is going to go down for the whole season.

So I get the overall point of your post. But it’s never a valid argument to say “they will be healthier” this upcoming season. The truth is, the overall team could just as easily suffer MORE injuries this upcoming season.

That’s why it’s importsnt to have as much talent and depth as possible to pick up the slack once guys start going down.
Don’t say worse injuries, you will jinx us. Lol.

We lost the best center (IMO) in the NFL and had another playing with a bum knee. A rookie and a LT that is going to have to be treated like Romo was his last few seasons. And a lone coach that was tampering with there foot and hand work. They were out of sync for the first part of the season. Again just my opinion. We SHOULD be better there this year.

We will probly lose someone. Let’s hope it’s no one on the O-Line but we are signing our depth first.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Losing Irving doesn't matter as we lost him last year anyway. Greg though does hurt. His speed and get off will be missed as we have no one proven to be as good in rushing the QB. We've lost a lot of experience in the wr room and that will hurt both offense and ST.
Dlaw has 3 options.
1. Sit out untill signed at last minute. Miss games due to injury.
2. Sit out all year.
3. Traded

So far it looks like any DL help will cctivenessome from the draft. We have the same 3 DT that end up playing put of position due to need which lowers their effectiveness. If taco or Armstrong steps up then we will be slot better than we look today, but that is a big difference.

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree to a certain extent. My concern is Dallas will face a 1st place schedule and teams will try to mimic what the Rams and Colts did to the Cowboys defense. The DTs of Dallas are not big and strong enough, it seems, to stand up the better opposing offensive linemen and without a decent run supporting safety that's a big problem. I am also concerned about depth at WR with Beasley gone. If Cooper should miss some time the Cowboys WRs corp is looking pretty thin.

More importantly, the non-signing of Beasley is indicative of a bigger problem in the Cowboys front office. They didn't lock up Lawrence last year. They let Beasley go this year. Let me ask a serious question, Hurns is going to country $6.25 million against the salary cap this year. Beasley is costing the Bills $6.9 million against their cap. Who would you rather have in the slot?

My fear is the Cowboys let Beasley go because they have an aversion to signing free agents if they believe a guys is overpaid. But "overpaid" is subjective. Overpaying a guy today usually winds up a good deal in a year or two. I do not think, for example, the Bills overpaid Beasley.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
No use to worry about this team. We have Garrett and Dak which is far removed from Belicheat and Brady.
The Pats have a winning tradition and the magic sauce. We obviously don't and most likely never will again.
Every team in the league is far removed from the Pats combination of coach and qb.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If you’re not getting better, you’re getting worse. And we’re not getting better with all impact free agents gone and no #1 pick.
It’s not over yet. I would have liked to get a DT in FA but our FO just don’t value the position. Just like safety. Which is why I assumed we wouldn’t get ET. We can get better by utilizing our talent we have especially on Offense.

Sydla

Reaction score
Um, Zeke, Dak, & LVE say hello

Holy crap, how did I forget Zeke and Dak? Me stooopid.

And note, two of the three you listed were first round picks. Which we don't have.

I think it's fool's gold thinking we can pass on FA to improve because we'll pluck 2-3 starters out of a draft where we have no first round pick.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Holy crap, how did I forget Zeke and Dak? Me stooopid.

And note, two of the three you listed were first round picks. Which we don't have.

I think it's fool's gold thinking we can pass on FA to improve because we'll pluck 2-3 starters out of a draft where we have no first round pick.

I think the offense will improve if Fredrick indeed comes back as himself. It's the defense that I am worried about and where I think we could use some FA help.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the offense will improve if Fredrick indeed comes back as himself. It's the defense that I am worried about and where I think we could use some FA help.

Totally agree. That was largely my focus......... get an upgrade at S, get a real DT (preferably a good 1T) and I would have been kicking the tires at DE because even with Lawrence, our DEs after him are suspect with Gregory likely being gone for a bit.

Reaction score
It’s not over yet. I would have liked to get a DT in FA but our FO just don’t value the position. Just like safety. Which is why I assumed we wouldn’t get ET. We can get better by utilizing our talent we have especially on Offense.

That is true. But at a basic level, you need playmakers. We have 3 on offense (Dak, Zeke, Coop) and 3 on defense (DLaw, LVE, and Jaylon). You are not beating NE, GB, NO, LAR, CHI, PHI x2 with the mediocre rest of this roster. There is a reason that LAR, PHI made Super Bowls. They supplemented their core with key, proven veteran FA and trade additions. We refuse.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Why is it that we all get worried about free agency when we know over the last five years Dallas does not and apparently will not spend big on the big named free agents. It just isn't happening. I look at what our division has done to get better because we need to win the division first and foremost.

Look at Washington, anyone really worried about Collins or Keenam. Seems like more status quo to me. How about the Giants? What team isn't going to load the box to stop Barkley and who is Eli going to throw to now. Philadelphia is a challenge but they lost a lot and getting Desean Jackson at WR is good not great. Does Jackson make the DL better or the same remains to be seen.

Now we have to resign Lawrence and do something in free agency to replace Gregory at least for rotation purposes but overall it should be at least as good as last year on the DL.

Seems like every year we panic at this time and sure we can hope that Dallas changes its opinion some on free agency, I just do not see it happening anytime soon.

Verdict

Reaction score
The odds of landing a couple of instant impact rookies with no first round pick is unlikely. Even LVE took some time to get acclimated to the game. Gallup had a nice rookie year but certainly didn't light the league on fire. Williams, at best, had an up and down year.

I like them all mind you, but counting on rookies to make immediate impacts and start right away and play like vets is a big reach, especially for guys taken in the 3rd round or lower.

The last rookie we took that hit the ground running and was an immediate impact starter was Martin.

And that's why this year was probably even a better year to spend a little bit of cash and bring in an immediate impact player in FA. Because you don't have a full compliment of picks in this draft, including your first round pick.

I think all of that is a reasonable interpretation of our current situation, but it also leaves a little bit of meat on the bone in terms of analysis. Beasleys snaps are going to someone, as would Tank's if he departs. Someone will be on the field during those snaps. That means opportunity.

While rookies often don't set the world on fire like high first round picks do they can be significant contributors. The young guys (drafted in the last two drafts) should start coming into their own now.

I share your concerns, but I believe that there are some groceries on the shelf that will be used this year and hopefully will contribute. No one saw Dak coming and he was a late 4th round pick. Let's see how it plays out.

Verdict

Reaction score
That is true. But at a basic level, you need playmakers. We have 3 on offense (Dak, Zeke, Coop) and 3 on defense (DLaw, LVE, and Jaylon). You are not beating NE, GB, NO, LAR, CHI, PHI x2 with the mediocre rest of this roster. There is a reason that LAR, PHI made Super Bowls. They supplemented their core with key, proven veteran FA and trade additions. We refuse.

Keep in mind that if the guys you mentioned not all of them were instant playmakers. It took development. We may have players in the wings that may end up being difference makers.

Most of this board was bashing the team for Jaylon two years ago. Again let's see how this plays out. The team has done more right than wrong during the last 5 years.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
We are signing our own players
We really aren't.

They are not even keeping active with Lawrence. Even slam dunks like Austin and Ladouceur are not getting done.

If they mean what they say, Lawrence in particular should already be in process. Instead, they seem comfortable with thinking they can wait until July.

That is a pretty dumb idea since he is delaying surgery until he gets a long term deal.