Here is my early projection:

Dak-resigned to a long-term extension
Erving-resigned as the swing tackle
Aldon-resigned as the team's #3 DE, but also could factor inside
DT-Lawrence Guy (1Tech)
DT-McCoy (3Tech) More of a player/coach
LB-Jarrad Davis, Damien Wilson
CB-Dennard
S-Hooker, Kazee (could also play in the slot)

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think it all starts with the Cowboys signing Dak to a long term deal. Can’t do anything until we figure out the quarterback position. Offer Dak the 4 year 160 million contract with 125 million guaranteed. That should get it done.

The Cowboys need to release Jaylon and make him a June 1 designation. Use that 7 million to help sign a big name defensive tackle. Basically trade Jaylon‘a money for front seven player. Defense starts with investing in the front seven.

If we have any money left over then look for secondary pieces but the reality is the Cowboys will have 10 picks in this draft. Use the picks to improve the team. Best player available at offensive linemen, defensive linemen, linebacker, cornerback, and safety. No particular order. Just bring in players that have a chance to compete.

The only free agent from the team I would bring back is Irving. He played well as a swing tackle. Chido, Woods, and Lewis need to go. They had four years to show their stuff and did nothing.

Mr_437

Reaction score
When you think about it, resigning Aldon might make sense is the dollars line up. Good #3 DE, could also kick inside at play the 3T.

If Lee/Thomas leave, they have no choice, but to add another starting caliber linebacker.
The added weight Aldon played with last season actually does make him a fit at 4Tech, and I hadn't thought about that. However, dude looked to be ready for the season to end, and was running on fumes. I'd be ok with Smith coming back, but he has to pick it up or drop some lbs.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If you are not going to spend money to improve your team then don’t spend anything at all. Stop wasting money on the useless optics. We throw crumbs at all the has beens and expect that to improve the team. Our record proves that it just doisn’t work. Not for this organization.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I think we all agree that the Cowboys free agent signings haven't really worked out the last few years. Yes Cobb was a bright spot, we found some ok depth pieces, but really no other big impact guys. This is partly because you often get what you pay for when you look for bargains. However, on the opposite side rarely do big free agent signings ever come close to expectations. Teams generally keep their best players, or get some draft capital in place.

A big part of me gets the Cowboys approach here. I don't mind sitting out the market with guys often considered the Tier 1s. I rather allocate money to 1 tier 2 guy that upgrades something than several depth/fringe starters. I also have no issue taking flyers on some proven veteran players in their 30s to fill holes, and be part of the rotation. For example McCoy as part of the DT rotation, a cb like Logan Ryan to play safety. Obviously some risks as players get older, but probably better than a couple journeyman players that are on their 3rd team in 4-5 years.

Mr_437

Reaction score
1Tech - Justin Ellis/Mike Pennel
4Tech - Tyson Alula/Ronald Blair
SAM/LEO - Tyus Bowser
MLB - Jarrad Davis

CB - Dennard/ Witherspoon/K.King
SS - Neal, McDougal
FS - Kazzee/PJ Williams (S/CB)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The added weight Aldon played with last season actually does make him a fit at 4Tech, and I hadn't thought about that. However, dude looked to be ready for the season to end, and was running on fumes. I'd be ok with Smith coming back, but he has to pick it up or drop some lbs.
He is not my 1st choice, but he can be a quality #3 DE who can play anywhere in the nickel. This will make the team not to force the position in the draft

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think it all starts with the Cowboys signing Dak to a long term deal. Can’t do anything until we figure out the quarterback position. Offer Dak the 4 year 160 million contract with 125 million guaranteed. That should get it done.

The Cowboys need to release Jaylon and make him a June 1 designation. Use that 7 million to help sign a big name defensive tackle. Basically trade Jaylon‘a money for front seven player. Defense starts with investing in the front seven.

If we have any money left over then look for secondary pieces but the reality is the Cowboys will have 10 picks in this draft. Use the picks to improve the team. Best player available at offensive linemen, defensive linemen, linebacker, cornerback, and safety. No particular order. Just bring in players that have a chance to compete.

The only free agent from the team I would bring back is Irving. He played well as a swing tackle. Chido, Woods, and Lewis need to go. They had four years to show their stuff and did nothing.
There is little to no chance team cuts Jaylon this off-season. Already have a need for another starter going back to 4-3, they aren’t going to create 2 holes at the position. They will have the funds to sign a quality 1 tech

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There is little to no chance team cuts Jaylon this off-season. Already have a need for another starter going back to 4-3, they aren’t going to create 2 holes at the position. They will have the funds to sign a quality 1 tech
They have no funds until they sign Dak long term. Jaylon is an option to be cut because it saves 7 million against the cap if it is a June 1 designation. You can do some stuff with 7 million of cap space. I guarantee they are talking about it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all well aware of strategy Stephen Jones uses with free agency. Never takes part in the first wave and when money starts to run out, the Cowboys get active and try to sign the leftovers for bargain rates.

This strategy has been a major failure recently, but with the cap possibly going down and Dak needing to be resigned, expect a similar off-season.

One thing to keep in mind, they like to cover all needs in some form before the draft, so they can take the best players available.

Free Agent needs in no particular order:

*QB, Swing Tackle, Defensive End, 2 Defensive Tackle, 1-2 Linebackers, 1 Corner, 1 Safety

Swing Tackle-Cam Erving when healthy performed well in spot, start duty. Resign him or a similar player.

Defensive End-team could either try to resign Aldon or sign his replacement. Vernon, Wise, McKinley, Autry, Bowser, Kerrigan, Golden, Fackrell

Defensive Tackle (2)-need a quality veteran starter at both the 1 & 3 Tech's. Ford (R), Suh, Robertson-Harris, Lawerence Guy, DaQuan Jones, Hankins, Wolfe, McCoy

Linebacker-due to Lve's lack of durability, Jaylon's lack of production, moving to the 4-3, need lots of numbers here. Perryman, Williamson, Jarrad Davis

Corner-both Awuzie and Lewis are fa's. One could return and fill the need. Rhodes, Verett, Dennard, Kirpatrick

Safety-Xavier Woods is a fa. Thompson is a release candidate. Just Wilson/Robinson. Could see Woods return on a low level deal. Hooker, Kazee, Gipson

Need smart players...

Snap% ….. Age ….. Pos ….. Player
65.40% ….. 34 ….. CB ….. Jason McCourty
49.60% ….. 31 ….. IDL ….. Lawrence Guy
47.40% ….. 27 ….. IDL ….. Adam Butler
69.00% ….. 31 ….. EDGE ….. John Simon
25.20% ….. 29 ….. EDGE ….. Shilique Calhoun
55.50% ….. 27 ….. EDGE ….. Deatrich Wise

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Erving is a good player. What he lacks in skill he makes up for in flex and attitude. Keeper.

We most certainly do not need another 3 tech. Hill and Gallimore need PT and we've always intended to have McCoy back. One of your 3s plays 1T in nickel so three is fine. Particularly if we bring A. Smith back (very likely since MM revived his career). We need a starting 1T. Woods is good taking 30% of the snaps there.

Obviously CB and S are big areas. I expect we bring back one of the FAs - Lewis is my guess. I could definitely see a high puck CB and Sherman as FA.

Safety. I'd guess we get Woods back on a light deal but finally prioritize that in the 1st 3 rounds of the draft.

Another move I expect is a decent 3 year for Looney. Yeah, he's a backup but that vet leadership is clearly valued. Biadasz didn't play after recovering from his injury because with Martin out, there was no one leading the line.
Sounds like you want to bring back the same defense

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Need smart players...

Snap% ….. Age ….. Pos ….. Player
65.40% ….. 34 ….. CB ….. Jason McCourty
49.60% ….. 31 ….. IDL ….. Lawrence Guy
47.40% ….. 27 ….. IDL ….. Adam Butler
69.00% ….. 31 ….. EDGE ….. John Simon
25.20% ….. 29 ….. EDGE ….. Shilique Calhoun
55.50% ….. 27 ….. EDGE ….. Deatrich Wise
Does belicheck come with them?

817Gill

Reaction score
Like the idea, but a decent safety is going to cost a big portion of their cap funds. As you just too many needs to address
Yeah it’s pretty likely we get a CB or 1T as the classes are deeper/cheaper.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yeah it’s pretty likely we get a CB or 1T as the classes are deeper/cheaper.
TBH a good safety is really what we need to shore up the secondary. It’s where we’ve been burned the most and worst.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Bargain shopping is like music to our ears. Cheap contracts is the #1 criteria for instant fan approval, until the player makes a mistake.
The player doesn't have to actually even MAKE a mistake, just be perceived as having made one.