Recommended Talkin Cowboys 1/5

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ROFL. You don't need a long term fix for your back up RT.

They need to keep Free and/or Parnell(who will be better with assignments after some consistent experience).
I'd keep both guys if affordable.
This OL deserves to stay together and we need our draft picks in just about every other place on the field.
They should always draft a mid to late round OL to develop but high picks needs to help bolster the weak areas we have now.

You don't create problems just to fit a narrative.

It will probably cost less to have Free and Parnell BOTH back then it would just to keep Murray himself.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Spencer has been beasting here lately, I really want to see him back next year. Does anybody know his contract situation?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
We do need to look for a future replacement at RT, Parnell didn't do the job when it counts the most. We need a long term answer there.

We also need help at safety, a safety that can come down and cover a WR. We don't have a safety that can do that on the roster.

DLaw deserves some more snaps, as does Spencer. They are our best 2 edge rushers at the moment, along with mixing in Mincey.
Spencer played 40 snaps.

plymkr

Reaction score
Talking Cowboys always bash Parnell if he does anything wrong. I thought he did okay against probably the best D-line in football. Mickey loves to bash Parnell but he doesn't like it when the fans were getting on Mo Claiborne earlier this season and he'll point out every time Sterling Moore gives up a play and say "see there he's not better than Claiborne".

He might not be better than Claiborne but Moore wasn't picked 6th overall. Different expectations for different players.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The play that Tate scored on us was not the same way Washington scored on us. We got caught blitzing and in the Washington game, that was a screen.

That's what I was thinking. Not sure what they are trying to say.

And Church wasn't hung out to dry. Safeties have to cover WR's in this league from time to time. It happens. He just got beat badly (and inexcusably).

YR

dfense

Reaction score
Lions game loudest ever in new stadium. So loud in stadium, on TW last td the endzone camera was shaking.

Team overcame alot yesterday. From mistakes to injuries.

Physically DET took it to the DAL OL and kept them on their heels. But OL came together on enough plays to get the win.

Parnell was really bad.

Parnell missed quite a few assignments where he's supposed to pick up the outside man but goes inside and leaves the man free to get to Romo.

Defense won the game.

4th and 6 play Witten ran a great route. Beat the S right off the snap.

After the game people stayed at the stadium well after the game partying

Defense seems to get pressure with rushing four and droping into man coverage.

Tate TD was exact play Washington scored on.

Basically leave Church out to dry with that play. By setup Church is 10 yrds off the ball. Noway is he going to get that.

McClain left the stadium before game was over. Concussion, dehydrated and stomach pains

Give Hitchens alot of credit for playing thru his injury.

ON controversial play, head official said line judge had a better view then backjudge. Thats why play was reversed. Penalty shouldve never been announced. Fault of the head ref.

Penalty shouldve been called on Dez on the field.

Lawrence grateful they let him back in the game after losing that fumble.

Anthony Spencer had a realy good game. Starting to see him get back his old form

You've got to wonder about guys like Parnell. It's not rocket science. It's a full time job that he's been in meetings for a few years and they go over what you do in certain alignments. It's A or B and he picks the wrong one again and again. Or was whiffing and just plain getting beat.

I saw him land flat on his back on a running play behind the line of srimmage, which DeMarco had to maneuver to just not trip over him. On the last Cowboy drive he was getting bulled right back into Romo on almost every rush.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I used to think Sydney had a little football knowledge until she asked a few weeks ago whether the Denver/San Diego game affected the Cowboys playoff chances. Oh well, she looks nice.

Dude, I'm not being mean, just being honest - you have forgotten more football than Sydney knows. She really has to do her homework and if she's not sure about something she should ask before the show starts. I forgot what he reference was but she asked Broaddus if he knew about something on the air that was embarrassing. They all bailed her out but geesh.

That being said, I would volunteer to tutor her.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I re-watched the first half of the game again and focused my attention on Parnell. Yes he screwed up and cost us two sacks, but other than those 2 plays he was terrific.

Yes, he had a few issues, but this statement would only be relevant to 1 play that I recall:
'Parnell missed quite a few assignments where he's supposed to pick up the outside man but goes inside and leaves the man free to get to Romo."

The Cowboys media guys have a narrative already in mind for most players. Their review after each game is just them cherry picking a play for each player that they want to expand on their narrative. They could almost write their game reviews ahead of time and just fill in a few blanks after the game.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Free still has atleast 3 good yrs left. IF he doesnt have any lingering issues with bone spurs.

Thats really the question, how long do you want to stick with a veteran and hope for the best.

We almost have to stick with Romo as long as possible, maybe Witten, but what other vets?? Really we don't have to stick with vets unless we have to or can find a viable replacement. Free fits as someone we can't replace cause of other holes, not someone we just have to keep. I sincerely hope we have found his replacement in a year or 2, not 3 years cause by then he is a backup.

Reaction score
Apparently Crawford was sick during the game from some bad lobster a few nights before. Puked twice during the game.

It's amazing that he played as well as he did, he had to be weak from the illness and from the lack of food/energy.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Not sure what they are trying to say.

And Church wasn't hung out to dry. Safeties have to cover WR's in this league from time to time. It happens. He just got beat badly (and inexcusably).

YR

I thought i had corrected it before i posted it. They said it was same formation. And for whatever reason Dallas refused to move Carr over to the other side leaving Wilber over Tate but Wilber Blitzed and showed his blitz early. Which made it an easy read for Stafford. And by design Church is 10 yrds off the ball. Which left Tate plenty of room to work with and get that inside. That and wilcox being in really bad posistion.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Yes, he had a few issues, but this statement would only be relevant to 1 play that I recall:
'Parnell missed quite a few assignments where he's supposed to pick up the outside man but goes inside and leaves the man free to get to Romo."

The Cowboys media guys have a narrative already in mind for most players. Their review after each game is just them cherry picking a play for each player that they want to expand on their narrative. They could almost write their game reviews ahead of time and just fill in a few blanks after the game.

I agree, this whole Parnell issue is so overblown. Come Sunday it won't be Parnell that wins or loses our game it will be about getting Rodgers off the field.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Thats really the question, how long do you want to stick with a veteran and hope for the best.

We almost have to stick with Romo as long as possible, maybe Witten, but what other vets?? Really we don't have to stick with vets unless we have to or can find a viable replacement. Free fits as someone we can't replace cause of other holes, not someone we just have to keep. I sincerely hope we have found his replacement in a year or 2, not 3 years cause by then he is a backup.

Agree with all that. Go see my latest mock.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thanks Latin Mind. Great stuff. I guarantee you ESPN won't talk about this:

"ON controversial play, head official said line judge had a better view then backjudge. Thats why play was reversed. Penalty shouldve never been announced. Fault of the head ref."

Parnell is going through necessary growing pains. That was a tough front 7. He'll get better.

Parnell is 28 and his first year in the league was 2009. I wouldn't expect any great leaps.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind him and JPP. Would solve alot of problems with 2 signings. IMO with those two signings the defense would be just fine.

Forget talking about JPP.
He's already stated he wants to be among the highest paid DEs in football and the NYG like him more than we ever could.

The appeal of Spencer is he should come fairly cheap. On hopefully a Mincey style 2 year deal.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Parnell is 28 and his first year in the league was 2009. I wouldn't expect any great leaps.

He doesn't need leaps. He's started only 7 games so he needs playing time.
He was more than fine physically versus Detroit.
He blocked the guy he set out to block.

The issue was getting to the right guy and that is certainly helped by experience.

If the Cowboys play Parnell 16 games next year he'd almost certainly be in the top half of the league in RTs.
But if Free wants to come back at 3m again you gotta take that deal.
He has vast experience and plays quite well alongside Martin.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He doesn't need leaps. He's started only 7 games so he needs playing time.
He was more than fine physically versus Detroit.
He blocked the guy he set out to block.

The issue was getting to the right guy and that is certainly helped by experience.

If the Cowboys play Parnell 16 games next year he'd almost certainly be in the top half of the league in RTs.
But if Free wants to come back at 3m again you gotta take that deal.
He has vast experience and plays quite well alongside Martin.

This is his 6th year in the league and 4th with this team. I'm not holding my breath.

And blustering future outcomes contributes nothing. We cannot tell what he is going to do from play to play much less over 16 games.