Recap: Talkin Cowboys 11/19

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Perception is Romo isnt practicing on wed because hes too sore. Not the case.

Brent on injury report will be listed as limited with a groin injury

To gt Pellerin on the 53 Coleman might be sent to PS. Risky on waivers

Email: Selvie gone from sacks to casper, whats happened?
He's went from 60 snaps to around 30 snaps a game. And he just doesnt look like the same player. Looks wore down.

Giants have a bad offensive line. Dont turn them into a decent OL. Make them move around with stunts and different sets and holes will open for TFL and sacks.

Probowl votes leaders Tackles-Tyron Smith Centers - Fredrick Guards - Martin all lead in votes. Free is 5th in tackles.

Martin looks like the best OL Dallas has.

Murray is also leading vote getter. Dan Bailey is second

If Marinelli leaves thoughts are that Eberflus might take over as DC.

Eberflus has had to plug in guys at Lber and tey have all been prepared and have done a good job.

Whats been with the rise of doug free?
Better technique.Hand placement and not reaching for his man has been his best improvement. Having Martin next to him is an improvement too.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Whats been with the rise of doug free?
Better technique.Hand placement and not reaching for his man has been his best improvement. Having Martin next to him is an improvement too.

The sum is greater than it's parts.

Please don't take this statement as a negative toward Free, who has now attained Underrated status.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Many here felt that Free needed a solid guard next to him look good, maybe he worries to much about the JAGs they marched out next to him the previous few seasons.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I believe Eberflus deserves a shot at DC for somebody.
If Marinelli bolts for whatever reason- I wouldn't be too upset if we give him a go at the show.

Anyone know what "tree" Eberflus comes from in his defensive approach? I am not certain but wasnt he here before the tampa 2 guys came? So would his approach be to have a different defense, maybe not back to a 3-4 but different needs in what guys he would want to keep and draft?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't imagine we'd expose Coleman on waivers. I'd expose one of the OTs, or release one of the older, more expensive veteran DLs who offer similar production and little upside. Or Hamilton, if I weren't short on DBs right now.

Reaction score
Anyone know what "tree" Eberflus comes from in his defensive approach? I am not certain but wasnt he here before the tampa 2 guys came? So would his approach be to have a different defense, maybe not back to a 3-4 but different needs in what guys he would want to keep and draft?

Eberflus spent a lot of time with Rob Ryan with the Jets and Oakland. It was Ryan that brought in Eberflus.

I don't see Eberflus changing systems completely. He may give different looks from time to time. But Marinelli does that too. I don't see him moving back to a 3-4 if he were to become DC. Frankly, I don't think Garrett/Jerry would keep him if he intended to make the switch.

slick325

Reaction score
I hope Marinelli doesn't move on but if an opportunity arises for him and he takes it, I wouldn't be opposed to Eberflus. Curious as to what defensive scheme he would run if he got the DC position. He coached under Rob Ryan in Cleveland and Dallas so he has a history in the 3-4 on the pro level. Coached under Kiffin and Marinelli the last two seasons in a Tampa 2 4-3. Not sure what he ran at Missouri but I think it was a 3-4 with some hybrid schemes as well (five man fronts and 3-3 alignments).

The front office has been bringing in players that fit a 4-3 scheme in the front 7. I can see D Lawrence standing as an OLB along with McClain playing the other OLB in a 3-4 (Hitchens and Lee would likely be inside backers). Can't see the philosophy change occurring already so Eberflus would likely be asked to run a 4-3. Interesting to say the least.

Let's get through 2014 and see what happens with the staff and roster.

Edit: Was typing my post when Cowboy from New York posted his and RXP quoted it.

Plankton

Reaction score
At the risk of committing blasphemy, I would point out Mark Tuinie was a part of some very bad Cowboys lines and was not considered a very good player until the talent around him was solidified. Doug Free could be in the same boat.

Paul Hackett said to Skip Bayless as he went out the doors in Dallas, "you cannot win with Mark Tuinei and Nate Newton on your offensive line."

Hackett's statement explains a lot about how things turned out for all parties involved.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't imagine we'd expose Coleman on waivers. I'd expose one of the OTs, or release one of the older, more expensive veteran DLs who offer similar production and little upside. Or Hamilton, if I weren't short on DBs right now.

Agreed.

Is Tony Hills still on the roster?

slick325

Reaction score
I haven't really been concerned about why he needs Wed off. I just considered it as part of his overall rest, rehab, and recovery program. Did they suggest an alternative reason?

I think the only reason that has been discussed was #9 spent those Wednesdays working on his core muscles and legs in the weight room. Haven't read or heard any other reasons.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the only reason that has been discussed was #9 spent those Wednesdays working on his core muscles and legs in the weight room. Haven't read or heard any other reasons.

Yeah, that's what I meant by rest, rehab, and recovery. Basically he spends the time working out. This is more beneficial to his health than actual practice reps.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I haven't really been concerned about why he needs Wed off. I just considered it as part of his overall rest, rehab, and recovery program. Did they suggest an alternative reason?

He could be sipping margaritas in Cabo with his hat on backwards on weds for all I care. As long as he keeps playing the way he was in 7 of those games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hillis and Hawkins...

I thought that they only signed Hills because Free was injured. Well, Free's healthy now, so if they need a roster spot I'd much prefer they use one occupied by a known journeyman player rather than risk losing a younger player who may have upside.