Talkin' Cowboys: Blast from the past (Mickey vs. Broaddus)

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is the first thread I've ever created here (I think). Point blank...this is the best Talkin' Cowboy's episode (2013), IMO:
http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2013/12/30/talkin-cowboys-8-8-8-8-and-8-8

First off. Put your handgun-fingers back their keyboard holsters. This isn't about the present radio show (abomination, IMO), Dak, Wentz, Zeke, Romo, or pass rushers, etc. This is about a single episode of Talkin' Cowboys that has escaped me for awhile. This episode has stuck with me for awhile now about the the "Yes Men" of any organization and the pragmatist that counters their rosy view. Is this relevant to our Team's current situation? No. But it's enjoyable and important to keep in your back pocket when watching "TC" and "CB" on the Cowboys' website.

P.S. After watching that episode (I searched hard for it because I forgot which show it was), I have a new found respect for Broaddus.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once again, Spagnola exposes himself for the shill that he is. Can't judge past performances because it's "hindsight". No kidding! So I guess you can never talk about the past then, huh?

And then when anyone presents valid criticism, it's always "I understand that", while he brushes the point aside.

Like many fans, it's always about the players, and never on the head coach. Each and every player injury is used as an excuse for the head coach's lack of results, when the fact is that every team in the league has injuries. The difference is the good coaching staffs are able to overcome them and win anyway.

For far too long, this team has been set up to play ultra-conservatively, which requires perfect conditions to be successful. Even dating back to this show, what were they saying about Orton? "Check downs". The same traits Weeden and Cassel were getting blasted for displaying last year, and what some people are criticizing Prescott for this season. That's not all on these quarterbacks, and it's not random coincidence, it's a pattern, and something that's obviously being directly influenced by the coaches.

They mentioned close games and 4 losses by a point. And we can go back to last year and find the same "woulda, coulda, shoulda", "if only" style losses once again. Again, not coincidence, or "bad luck", it's a pattern.

Thanks for digging this one up. I'm appreciating listening to it. And I think we can now see why Spagnola and Broaddus are now on different shows. But a running 'joke' on Talkin' Cowboys is about Mickey's attitude and his being difficult to work with. Just the other day, a fan called in and praised each and every other member of the show for their work while saying nothing about Spagnola. Spoke volumes.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Once again, Spagnola exposes himself for the shill that he is. Can't judge past performances because it's "hindsight". No kidding! So I guess you can never talk about the past then, huh?

And then when anyone presents valid criticism, it's always "I understand that", while he brushes the point aside.

Like many fans, it's always about the players, and never on the head coach. Each and every player injury is used as an excuse for the head coach's lack of results, when the fact is that every team in the league has injuries. The difference is the good coaching staffs are able to overcome them and win anyway.

For far too long, this team has been set up to play ultra-conservatively, which requires perfect conditions to be successful. Even dating back to this show, what were they saying about Orton? "Check downs". The same traits Weeden and Cassel were getting blasted for displaying last year, and what some people are criticizing Prescott for this season. That's not all on these quarterbacks, and it's not random coincidence, it's a pattern, and something that's obviously being directly influenced by the coaches.

They mentioned close games and 4 losses by a point. And we can go back to last year and find the same "woulda, coulda, shoulda", "if only" style losses once again. Again, not coincidence, or "bad luck", it's a pattern.

Thanks for digging this one up. I'm appreciating listening to it. And I think we can now see why Spagnola and Broaddus are now on different shows. But a running 'joke' on Talkin' Cowboys is about Mickey's attitude and his being difficult to work with. Just the other day, a fan called in and praised each and every other member of the show for their work while saying nothing about Spagnola. Spoke volumes.
We lost ALOT of close games last season, and often in the same fashion. The talent on offense has something to do with it, but after a few close losses you figure coachs would be able to see what is losing them games late and adjust accordingly

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We lost ALOT of close games last season, and often in the same fashion. The talent on offense has something to do with it, but after a few close losses you figure coachs would be able to see what is losing them games late and adjust accordingly

You'd think that, but no.

haleyrules

Reaction score
The only thing that hurts is after watching the Patriots beat the Texans and really seeing what a difference a HC and real coaching staff can make to a club. With all the Cowboy resources why are we stuck with a coach like Garrett. It really kills me.

haleyrules

Reaction score

lol. Good points. I am unclear about his status. Does he work directly for the Club as an employee? Its the only way his articles and opinions make any sense. He can not be taken seriously regarding his views on the Cowboys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol. Good points. I am unclear about his status. Does he work directly for the Club as an employee? Its the only way his articles and opinions make any sense. He can not be taken seriously regarding his views on the Cowboys.

I'm not sure of his exact status, but I'd assume that all of the writers for the website and on-air shows are employees of the team. But none of them defends everything and makes more excuses than he does. One thing I will say however, is that he's a really nice guy in person. Very gracious and approachable. So, as much as I disagree with his views, I can appreciate that aspect of his personality.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I was going to start a thread about this but got lazy...has anyone else noticed that when Rob and some of the younger hosts talk to Mickey they sound exasperated when Mickey goes off on some typically stupid tangent, like "what now Mickey?"

I've never liked Spagnola; his takes are typically homerfied and lack obvious thought that would prevent most people from saying.

CapnB

Reaction score
I remembering hearing about this but never seen it until now. I know one thing, Bryan Broaddus has said on several occasions he isnt a fan of this team. He sure as heck sounds like a fan to me.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
What Mickey does to players names drives me crazy. It's as if he pronounces names differently than everyone else on purpose to come across as if he has some more personal connection with the players over other beat guys.

For instance, everyone else pronounces it "Press-Scott", Mickey pronounces it "presskit", like rhymes with biscuit. He does this with a number of player names.