Recap: Talking Cowboys 3-6

TonyS

Reaction score
Watch how good our CBs look with a pass rush. Need to keep our eye out for disruptive players close to the LOS in draft and FA. Unless you have the next D Sanders or D Green, the best way to build a Defense is from front to back.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
First of all, thanx LM for these recaps. I know I appreciate these a LOT even though i dont always say that :D

i know you are just summarizing their points so my comments are not a reflection on you in any way

these are 2 points that people make in defense of this teams inept management and both these points are idiotic

no one talks about the cowboys "spending so much", they get criticized for spending unwisely
if they spent the same amount and actually built a team that contended, no one would complain

second, deep pockets dont let you take those risks, last i looked the salary cap is the same for all teams.
jerry making billions off the stadium does not mean our salary cap is higher. jerry is the richer for it and the fans are the poorer because it means he has less incentive to change his idiotic ways

only people employed by the cowboys or the completely ignorant would make these comments as fact

Good post, I think it boils down to one simple statement. This Jerry Jones ran Cowboys Franchise does not no how to WIN in the Salary Cap ERA. It still thinks like the early 1990's Cowboys organization. Jimmy Johnson is long gone. Yet, Jerry is so use to spending money... to make... money... that this whole concept of managing the salary cap while building a team has passed him bye. The game has passed Jerry bye and the salary cap stopped big money franchises from buying their way to a Superbowl, ALA Daniel Synder, Al Davis, and Jerry Jones,

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Watch how good our CBs look with a pass rush. Need to keep our eye out for disruptive players close to the LOS in draft and FA. Unless you have the next D Sanders or D Green, the best way to build a Defense is from front to back.

How long is it gonna take to get a pass rush?

conner01

Reaction score
First of all, thanx LM for these recaps. I know I appreciate these a LOT even though i dont always say that :D

i know you are just summarizing their points so my comments are not a reflection on you in any way

these are 2 points that people make in defense of this teams inept management and both these points are idiotic

no one talks about the cowboys "spending so much", they get criticized for spending unwisely
if they spent the same amount and actually built a team that contended, no one would complain

second, deep pockets dont let you take those risks, last i looked the salary cap is the same for all teams.
jerry making billions off the stadium does not mean our salary cap is higher. jerry is the richer for it and the fans are the poorer because it means he has less incentive to change his idiotic ways

only people employed by the cowboys or the completely ignorant would make these comments as fact

the deep pockets allow you to pay bigger bonus money and be much more flexable with your cap. cash is king and the more cash you have the easier it is to sign guys. every team has the same cap but every team does'nt have the cash to sign a guy and pay larger bonus money and thats what gets you players. the cap numbers are easy to manipulate but you have to have cash to do that. never under estimate the power of cash

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How long is it gonna take to get a pass rush?

When are they going to stay healthy? Who replaces Hatcher? Spencer? Possibly Ware? Ratliff? So many questions......

Do we really need to think about anything else this draft? We could get 4 DL and I wouldn't complain.

visionary

Reaction score
the deep pockets allow you to pay bigger bonus money and be much more flexable with your cap. cash is king and the more cash you have the easier it is to sign guys. every team has the same cap but every team does'nt have the cash to sign a guy and pay larger bonus money and thats what gets you players. the cap numbers are easy to manipulate but you have to have cash to do that. never under estimate the power of cash

I think your understanding of the cap is seriously flawed
The "cash" you refer to, to give a "bonus", is part of the cap
Every team has the same amount, we just waste ours by evaluating players poorly, over-paying players , and not having a long term plan

So "spending a lot" is meaningless when we spend unwisely

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Not restructuring Carr teels me that this is Carr's final year to shine in Dallas. If he can play to his potential, he will probably play out the rest of his contract. If not, he will be gone next year.

Because they won't restructure this year, it will be much easier to release him next year because there isn't any money being pushed into future years.

Didn't romo lee and scandrick restructure and push salary to next years cap?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
When are they going to stay healthy? Who replaces Hatcher? Spencer? Possibly Ware? Ratliff? So many questions......

Do we really need to think about anything else this draft? We could get 4 DL and I wouldn't complain.

Yeah. That was kinda the point. Last year the DL was supposed to be a strength. A year later every starter might be gone.