'Talking Cowboys' Practice notes

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
mmohican29;2383992 said:
Folks, am I the only one that is getting less and less thrilled to get Anthony Spencer back? He has flashed yes- last year.

I've seen him do little to nothing since late last season, he's injury prone and hasn't the set the world on fire when he's been in there. That said (you're going to love this I know), Spencer should start from here on out, and Ellis needs to be a situational pass rusher. Greg's goose is about cooked as a pursuit linebacker/lineman.

Don't know if you're the only one but I bet you're in the minority. Ellis is doing a good job just not great. Spencer is able to rush the passer even better when he's healthy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Ellis is doing a good job.

It looks to me like Father Time has clearly caught up to him.

I think he misses those breaks that a healthy Spencer would be giving him - whether he'd admit it or not.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;2384006 said:
Ellis looks awkward in space but he still gets the job done. I don't think Spencer is as complete a LB as Ellis is. And when I'm typing this I find myself wondering if I'm nuts because Ellis is very awkward looking out there. Watch him when you can in coverage and he gets the job done most of the time.

The ticket is to get the best pass rushers on the field at the same time. And Spencer, Ellis, Ratliff and Ware are the best pass rushers on the team IMO. That needs to happen more. JMO

I'm talking about against the rush, if a runner makes a cut outside on Ellis' side, often times than not, Ellis isn't getting the guy because he lacks that lateral quickness

you can easily take Ellis out of the running game, make him rush up the field and he's out of the play

Spencer is just a better player on 1st and 2nd downs

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
This may have been brought up before, but if so I missed it...

On the Talkin' show from yesterday, they pointed out that before he was injured, Romo was getting all the reps in practice, while Johnson got none.

Johnson worked only with the scout team until two weeks ago.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboyz88;2383705 said:
After the defense did better once Henry left the game, why is he running with the first team?
More than likely the front 7 stepped up their game to balance out the inexperience in the defensive backfield.

Hope they keep it up.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;2384006 said:
The ticket is to get the best pass rushers on the field at the same time. And Spencer, Ellis, Ratliff and Ware are the best pass rushers on the team IMO. That needs to happen more. JMO
Ellis does look awkward in space.

And we need all those guys on the field on 3rd down from now on.

MONT17

Reaction score
The fact is the Giants stole the Cowboys Super Bowl last year. I'm pissd the entire Jerryworld should be pissd about this game. injuries or not the Boys need to come out and say "u were not better than us last year and u r not better than us this year" punch eli in the face and so he can look like Peyton on Meth v. The pats a few years back!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2384030 said:
I'm talking about against the rush, if a runner makes a cut outside on Ellis' side, often times than not, Ellis isn't getting the guy because he lacks that lateral quickness

you can easily take Ellis out of the running game, make him rush up the field and he's out of the play

Spencer is just a better player on 1st and 2nd downs

I'm certain that happens some. No one always beats his man and makes the play. But Ellis is doing ok. He's not a problem even if he's not shining brightly. I think he gets beat a little more than Ware does concerning containment and turning it inside. Ware has definitely improved that part of his game which was a hole at times.

Spencer doesn't have enough experience to beat Ellis out despite the fact he's a superior athlete. JMO.

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2384063 said:
More than likely the front 7 stepped up their game to balance out the inexperience in the defensive backfield.

Hope they keep it up.

They have to keep it up in order for us to have a chance