Talking Cowboys trashing Vander Esch

HungryLion

Reaction score
They were 100% spot on. I just finished listening to the episode.

I said it about Jaylon and the same can be said of LVE.

Linebackers can’t just run around and avoid blockers all the time. There are times when the linebacker has to be willing and able to meet the OL in the hole and smack them in the mouth.

LVE and Neal don’t do it. Parsons is the only linebacker we have that is willing and able to do it.

Cmac

Reaction score
He’s definitely better than Jaylon….but having said that I’ve seen traffic cones that are too.
For what's it worth......he's better than you & I, at his current condition. I know it hurts about LVE.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We haven;t forgotten.

But it doesn't matter the why of it. If you aren't up to it then you got to go. He clearly cannot perform the duties expected of his position. It's too bad but it's the way of it.

Well yeah no one denies that. It is the front office's fault for not finding a playable replacement. Just pointing out it that it is not hard to explain his decline.

I think there is something else people forget. His ability to play football is his ability to make a living. I am sure he is not thrilled by the impact the injury has had on him and sees the writing on the wall. I will always root for our players on the field and in their life. It is sad to see that the sun is starting to set on his pro football career that started with so much promise.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well yeah no one denies that. It is the front office's fault for not finding a playable replacement. Just pointing out it that it is not hard to explain his decline.

I think there is something else people forget. His ability to play football is his ability to make a living. I am sure he is not thrilled by the impact the injury has had on him and sees the writing on the wall. I will always root for our players on the field and in their life. It is sad to see that the sun is starting to set on his pro football career that started with so much promise.

Well yes...he certainly is still human. He may have to join the rough world like the rest of us Joes.

Jarntt

Reaction score
On today's Talking Cowboys the subject came up of who has been underperforming and who really needs to step up. Leighton Vander Esch was the unanimous choice. It was pointed out how he is constantly going backwards to try to make plays instead of attacking. They said this is why the Cowboys didnt pick up his 5th year option and how he has declined since his rookie year. If the Cowboys are going to make a run for the playoffs, Vander Esch needs to step up, or be replaced. I'm glad to see him being called out publicly. He is either afraid to get hurt or trying to save himself for his next team.
While the point is not only accurate, but obvious, the problem is we just don't have anyone to put in there. Neal isn't an every down player and the other guys haven't shown to be NFL caliber starters. So, we won't likely solve this problem until next year...

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think people forget that the dude suffered a career threatening neck injury in 2020. Before that he was actually a good player for us. It is clear that the injury has sapped quite a bit of his flexibility and athleticism. Injuries, especially spinal injuries, happen and they do have long term impacts on athletes. Look at what happened to Jaylon. He never quite recovered from the drop foot and you could always tell something was not right.

Looks like it did "end" his career, the problem now is he is still out there embarrassing the team. And the stubborn FO is dumb enough to put up with it.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
His numbers are down, mostly because he’s playing 54 percent of the snaps.

He’s 5th in team tackles.

imho, more snaps will equal more tackles.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
This. Watch his tackling angles. He lets runners get past him so he can jump on their backs for the tackle instead of putting his head and shoulders into a tackle. Dude is finished.
Jaylon did the same thing. Take a bad angle so you can drag the ball carrier down from behind. That’s not a linebacker, that’s a cornerback. A finesse player. You can’t be a finesse linebacker.

This defense needs a slow, plodding run stuffing player on one of the first two levels of the defense (in base defense) in order to be truly elite. We need players for all situations and right now we’re built to keep a lead. That’s not all bad because most times our offense can get you that lead. But what if we’re missing some guys? What if we get some weather? Wind and rain? Bitter cold? What if the offense is just off?

We’re not built to come from behind because we don’t have guys who can shut down the run for more than a quarter without wearing out completely. We have a speed defense but we need a couple of dudes, at least on the practice squad, that offensive linemen HAVE to double team in order to move. Behind him we need at least one LB that can thump. Right now, we don’t have that. This Washington game might be where it shows up. The weather on Sunday will likely be in the 40s at kickoff. It’ll be windy. We better score early and often or really show up hungry on defense because all Washington can do is run. Expect them to do it 40 times.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Jaylon did the same thing. Take a bad angle so you can drag the ball carrier down from behind. That’s not a linebacker, that’s a cornerback. A finesse player. You can’t be a finesse linebacker.

This defense needs a slow, plodding run stuffing player on one of the first two levels of the defense (in base defense) in order to be truly elite. We need players for all situations and right now we’re built to keep a lead. That’s not all bad because most times our offense can get you that lead. But what if we’re missing some guys? What if we get some weather? Wind and rain? Bitter cold? What if the offense is just off?

We’re not built to come from behind because we don’t have guys who can shut down the run for more than a quarter without wearing out completely. We have a speed defense but we need a couple of dudes, at least on the practice squad, that offensive linemen HAVE to double team in order to move. Behind him we need at least one LB that can thump. Right now, we don’t have that. This Washington game might be where it shows up. The weather on Sunday will likely be in the 40s at kickoff. It’ll be windy. We better score early and often or really show up hungry on defense because all Washington can do is run. Expect them to do it 40 times.

I think Dallas will keep either Neal or LVE next season.

both are UFA and their stats are almost equal.

they will have to over pay for one of them.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
LVE's injuries in the past have prevented him from performing at his best. Fans trashing his effort or any other personal crap need to get a clue. You can clearly see he's not as mobile and has slowed down.
Nah he needs to retire. Don't keep trying to collect checks when you know your heart isn't in it because of your injuries.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I think Dallas will keep either Neal or LVE next season.

both are UFA and their stats are almost equal.

they will have to over pay for one of them.

That would be a big mistake, never understood the signing of Neal. He was a castoff from a bad Atlanta defense.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Vander Esch's stock has decreased season after season to the point where the Cowboys declined his fifth-year option & drafted his eventual replacement, Parsons, after the season.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
His numbers are down, mostly because he’s playing 54 percent of the snaps.

He’s 5th in team tackles.

imho, more snaps will equal more tackles.

I don't think it is just a case of the tackles as numbers, but what the tape on him looks like. When he tackles its poor. There is no authority of juice behind his work. He doesn't birng the load.

Then there are plays where he just looks lost, and his presence makes you wonder if the defensive coordinator was an idiot. Something has got to give.

In the big games you gotta believe opposing OC's are desperately trying to draw up plays to isolate LVE, and Quinn is desperately trying to figure out how to put him in ares of the field where he is less of a liability.

IMO he is not good if he has to be at the point of attack.