Talking Cowboys with my Therapist

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For years my Therapist has convinced me that Garrett is a bad head coach and JJ is a great football mind. I recently stood up to him and I am questioning his logic. I think JJ has neutered Jason. Is this the year Jason gets his balls back and does it his way. Pick his players, coaches and overrules bad play calls? I hope so. BTW, my Therapists name is Johnnie Walker.
What say you?
Is your therapist's last name "Jones" by any chance?

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
For years my Therapist has convinced me that Garrett is a bad head coach and JJ is a great football mind. I recently stood up to him and I am questioning his logic. I think JJ has neutered Jason. Is this the year Jason gets his balls back and does it his way. Pick his players, coaches and overrules bad play calls? I hope so. BTW, my Therapists name is Johnnie Walker.
What say you?

My insurance sucks so I've been seeing Dr's Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. Every day is a blur.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I'd be more concerned on why one needs a therapist than what he thinks about the CBoys.

Beaker42

Reaction score
What say you?

So, you and JJ have the same s****y therapist, eh? Try my good buddy and therapist Jim Beam. I switch to my other good doctor Glen Livet on game day.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Does your therapist have any openings... Asking for a friend.

Personally, I prefer my wingman, Mr Macallan. At 18 years, he has come of age.

:flagwave:

What about Mr. Stranahan? Hear tell he’s pretty good too.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Red, Black, or Blue Label? It really makes a difference and this may be key to getting success in your sessions...

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Bottle Bottom Therapy? Sounds like a country song. :grin:

As to your question, I honestly don't know; your guess is better than mine. Garrett since his playing days has been an enigma. There are things I believe he does really well and then there are things that he struggles with. He's clearly intelligent so for some time now I've sold myself on the idea that eventually he will find that inner baby bear where everything is just right. He has exhibited signs that he could be great (he still owns the locker room, for whatever that's worth); and at other times he has looked completely inept (2017 Atlanta game).

Adding to the confusion, the other problem is properly assigning blame. There are things he takes the heat for that really belong on either the players lack of execution, the coordinators responsible for calling the plays or the front office lack of providing him suitable answers behind his injured players.

Lastly, there is the lost narrative: remember all of the poor officiating last year? How many (if any) games did the Cowboys lose as a result of a missed call or bad call at a critical time in the game? And had they won just one more game, the Cowboys would have likely made the playoffs and the story of the entire season would have still likely had a sad ending, but far fewer people wanting Garrett's head on a silver platter.

Mind you, I'm not necessarily defending him; I was ready to see him go at the end of last year along with many people. But now that I have had an opportunity to rid myself of the emotional lenses and look at things objectively, it still wouldn't have hurt my feelings to see him fired, but I can also understand why it might be a good idea to give him another shot. After all, we only have a year before we have to pay Dak, 2 years before we likely say goodbye to Zeke. If the Cowboys are going to do something, it needs to be in the next two years and that's not easy when you also are inviting in a new coach that is willing to work for Jerry. That last point is important because by default that likely means whoever the Jones' bring in to replace Garrett, he will likely be unproven.

So to answer your question in true jday fashion (long-winded), I believe Garrett has a great opportunity in front of him in 2018. The world is doubting the team by merit of their roster minus Dez and Witten, so the expectations for him on a national level is low; this team as a whole tends to flourish in the soils of doubt. He has a very young and hungry team. His offensive line and defensive line could potentially be the best they've ever been during his tenure as Head Coach. And everyone has seemed to forgotten what Zeke can do behind that offensive line, with or without Dez and Witten in the lineup...when you look at it closely, this team actually has potential to succeed in spite of him...so I'd say things right now are looking up for him...and, yes, I know I am most likely in the minority (if not completely alone) with that belief. Salud! :thumbup:

The absence of Dez and Wit make the passing game less predictable, which may translate to more success both running and passing.

With our youth and depth, we're also less vulnerable to injury.

This year could look similar to '92, with or without Garrett.