Video: Talking heads on Tyron Smith

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Your probably right. The only chance we have is the improvement of the defense and Dak/CeeDee connection. Just not enough because the front office is to scared to take a chance with money/draft capital.
Yep!
When you have an amatuer front office going up against professional GMs on other teams you are at a severe competative disadvantage.

kskboys

Reaction score
Tyron is having surgery to repair the torn hamstring. This means at least one of the 4 muscles that make up the hamstring detached at one end. The surgery will attempt to re-attach the muscle. This takes a long time to heal. Can he come back this year? Sure, there is a chance in 4 months he can come back, but like players with torn pectoral muscles or torn biceps he is more than likely done for the year. At his age and given his history of injury, he might be done for his career.

IMO, the Cowboys should treat this as if Tyron just retired. If the long term plan was to move Tyler Smith to LT, then do it. Now they are down Tyron, Cooper, Gregory, La'el Collins, Michael Gallup, and Ced Wilson. We have to be honest about the roster. This is going to be a down season for Dallas.
I'm terrified that Tyler will fail at OLT, and that we'll ruin his career by putting him there. Think about how good BIGG was after we signed him and moved him back to OG where he belonged.

Reactions: CWR

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Scared? And rightly so. Their player evaluation ability is so horrific that they do not understand who to sign or trade for.
This is so true!
It's crazy.
Jerry pays top dollar to keep Will McClay so we can have decent drafts, but can't hire decent people to scout other teams players ?
Our front office is so dysfuntional.
If we did stumble onto Romo and Dak, we would be the laughing stocks of the NFL.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Scared? And rightly so. Their player evaluation ability is so horrific that they do not understand who to sign or trade for.
They could have signed the Saints free agent tackle. He would have solved all our problems. We all knew Smith was a ticking time bomb. Please retire your body can’t hold up.

Creeper

Reaction score
I'm terrified that Tyler will fail at OLT, and that we'll ruin his career by putting him there. Think about how good BIGG was after we signed him and moved him back to OG where he belonged.

Since things appear to be going against Dallas this year anyway, why not find out of Tyler Smith is the guy of the future. If he is not mentally strong enough to take a season of struggle at LT then chances are he will never been good enough. The Cowboys need a solid plan for the offensive line going into the draft next year. If they need a LT then they will need to use a high draft pick. If they need a LG, the might be able to score one in the 2nd round.

Of course if the left side is Smith and McGovern, with Biadasz at C, things could get scary.

kskboys

Reaction score
Since things appear to be going against Dallas this year anyway, why not find out of Tyler Smith is the guy of the future. If he is not mentally strong enough to take a season of struggle at LT then chances are he will never been good enough. The Cowboys need a solid plan for the offensive line going into the draft next year. If they need a LT then they will need to use a high draft pick. If they need a LG, the might be able to score one in the 2nd round.

Of course if the left side is Smith and McGovern, with Biadasz at C, things could get scary.
I don't think it's mental, I have huge questions as to whether he has the movement skills to be an NFL OLT. Most scouts have the same question. He was considered OG material by many.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't think it's mental, I have huge questions as to whether he has the movement skills to be an NFL OLT. Most scouts have the same question. He was considered OG material by many.

I think the kid is athletic enough to develop into a top flight LT.. but he's clearly not ready to do that job now. Still with the showings Ball and the rest have put out there we could do a lot worse than a big powerful rook who at least will maul DEs in the run game. Get him some confidence running behind him and maybe it translates into better focus and confidence in pass blocking. I think his ceiling is that much higher than the other candidates. But this late in camp it would worry me if they were to move him.. Have him start working towards it for maybe week 4 or 5.. Not a 2 week crash course.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Tyron is having surgery to repair the torn hamstring. This means at least one of the 4 muscles that make up the hamstring detached at one end. The surgery will attempt to re-attach the muscle. This takes a long time to heal. Can he come back this year? Sure, there is a chance in 4 months he can come back, but like players with torn pectoral muscles or torn biceps he is more than likely done for the year. At his age and given his history of injury, he might be done for his career.

IMO, the Cowboys should treat this as if Tyron just retired. If the long term plan was to move Tyler Smith to LT, then do it. Now they are down Tyron, Cooper, Gregory, La'el Collins, Michael Gallup, and Ced Wilson. We have to be honest about the roster. This is going to be a down season for Dallas.

If they find a serviceable player, like Whitworth, it's not over.

Plus, we have worst case scenario options like Tyler at LT (that's my least favorite option because I want him at LG).

I'm encouraged that Booger is at least talking to Whitworth.

Have anyone ever read King of the Cowboys: The Life and Times of Jerry Jones?

If not, you should.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the kid is athletic enough to develop into a top flight LT.. but he's clearly not ready to do that job now. Still with the showings Ball and the rest have put out there we could do a lot worse than a big powerful rook who at least will maul DEs in the run game. Get him some confidence running behind him and maybe it translates into better focus and confidence in pass blocking. I think his ceiling is that much higher than the other candidates. But this late in camp it would worry me if they were to move him.. Have him start working towards it for maybe week 4 or 5.. Not a 2 week crash course.
Not really about athleticism, it's about foot quickness. There's serious doubt as to whether he'll be able to stay in front of pass rushers.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
You are absolutely right. He is a Road Grader. Left tackles are not road graders. He doesn't have the technique to ever be a good tackle. Leave him at LG.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is so true!
It's crazy.
Jerry pays top dollar to keep Will McClay so we can have decent drafts, but can't hire decent people to scout other teams players ?
Our front office is so dysfuntional.
If we did stumble onto Romo and Dak, we would be the laughing stocks of the NFL.

This is also part of Will McClay's job. He just does not do drafts.

J-man

Reaction score
Max is a click bait idiot like almost all of those espn fools.
He knows zero about football, clearly evident by his "a good back with a great line gets you 7yds/carry, and a great back with a great o-line gets you 10yds/carry. that's total bs. How many yards did Emmitt Smith ave behind that great O-line that Max was actually referring to? 4.2

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point Jazz,
Do they not trust him to scout other teams free agents ?
He seems to have an eye for talent.

He is the one who found David Irving from KC's roster, I think it was KC. Looked great until he decided he didn't want to put in the effort any longer.
I am sure he has a list of potential players for all positions as the need rises.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
He is the one who found David Irving from KC's roster, I think it was KC. Looked great until he decided he didn't want to put in the effort any longer.
I am sure he has a list of potential players for all positions as the need rises.
You are right on Irvin from KC.
So if Will has an eye for talent, why not trust him and trade for other teams players and spend a little in free agency ?