Tank Johnson's Impact on the Passing Game

khiladi

Reaction score
While many people are talking about the beneficial impact on the pass defense by getting Henry back, I am more intrigued by Tank Johnson, considering how Wade likes to have his players rush to the gap instead of trying to contain lineman. I have heard he is pretty quick off the snap, which should help our internal pressure on the pass rush. This to me seems to be a crucial piece of the puzzle for the Cowboys, and should take a load off of Ware and Ellis, or Spencer.

What exactly is the word on Tank in this respect, i.e. internal pressure and exploding to the gap? Should we be optimistic or just happy with the depth we now have?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
He is extremely quick off the ball. However, not playing or practicing (until very recently) since early February will most likely have a negative impact on his quickness, at least until he knocks the rust off. Regardless, he's a talented player that adds much needed depth if nothing else. Personally, I think he will provide a big lift, especially in December and beyond.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
khiladi;1734910 said:
While many people are talking about the beneficial impact on the pass defense by getting Henry back, I am more intrigued by Tank Johnson, considering how Wade likes to have his players rush to the gap instead of trying to contain lineman. I have heard he is pretty quick off the snap, which should help our internal pressure on the pass rush. This to me seems to be a crucial piece of the puzzle for the Cowboys, and should take a load off of Ware and Ellis, or Spencer.

What exactly is the word on Tank in this respect, i.e. internal pressure and exploding to the gap? Should we be optimistic or just happy with the depth we now have?

I'm ready to see the nickel four.

Ware - Tank - Ratliff - Ellis

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the pressure that Tank will feel to vindicate himself and to play well, given his issues over the past year. The contract he signed is also incentive-laden. He will have all the motivation he needs to play extremely well and to give it his all. I like it.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Tank is just good-pretty good. He isn't anything special. He's got a cool name and was in the papers a lot because of his off-the-field stuff. He's pretty atheletic. But he isn't a dominating football player. Tommie Harris--the other Chicago defensive tackle--was the animal that everyone game planned for. This allowed Tank to have a lot of single blockers. He did alright with that.

He isn't going to come in here and revolutionize this defense. Getting Ellis back had far more impact on this team then getting Tank in here.

Tank is about as good as Darwin Walker, the guy that replaced him.

Solid, nothing special.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Tank didn't become a starter until after Ian Scott had soreness in his back. They started Tank against the Cardinals instead. He didn't have a single tackle in the game, but had two QB pressures and played soundly in the scheme they played. That was enough to let him keep the job as Ian Scott played well against the run, but wasn't quite as effective against the pass. Tank was much stronger against the pass and played the run solid.

So, basically Tank because a starter because he was solid were Scott was strong and was strong were Scott was weak. I will take solid against the run and strong on the pass rush.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Star4Ever;1734932 said:
Don't underestimate the pressure that Tank will feel to vindicate himself and to play well, given his issues over the past year. The contract he signed is also incentive-laden. He will have all the motivation he needs to play extremely well and to give it his all. I like it.

Motivation is fine - but he's didn't get training camp or pre-season to get himself into playing shape. That's fine for an old grizzled veteran who understands his role in a defense. That is not fine for a young guy coming into his first year with a new team and new defense.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
nyc;1734986 said:
Tank didn't become a starter until after Ian Scott had soreness in his back. They started Tank against the Cardinals instead. He didn't have a single tackle in the game, but had two QB pressures and played soundly in the scheme they played. That was enough to let him keep the job as Ian Scott played well against the run, but wasn't quite as effective against the pass. Tank was much stronger against the pass and played the run solid.

So, basically Tank because a starter because he was solid were Scott was strong and was strong were Scott was weak. I will take solid against the run and strong on the pass rush.
At the least, he'll be a reliable change of pace from Ratliff, who has filled in for Ferguson admirably. This will keep Ratliff from wearing down.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
cobra;1734941 said:
Tank is just good-pretty good. He isn't anything special. He's got a cool name and was in the papers a lot because of his off-the-field stuff. He's pretty atheletic. But he isn't a dominating football player. Tommie Harris--the other Chicago defensive tackle--was the animal that everyone game planned for. This allowed Tank to have a lot of single blockers. He did alright with that.

He isn't going to come in here and revolutionize this defense. Getting Ellis back had far more impact on this team then getting Tank in here.

Tank is about as good as Darwin Walker, the guy that replaced him.

Solid, nothing special.
He's more than just "pretty athletic." He's an athletic freak like Ware. Over his last two seasons, that athletic ability appeared to translate on-field with 8.5 sacks. That's more than all three of our starting D-line combined in that same time span.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Heck, maybe he can help Spears look like a 5th rd draft pick instead of an overacheiving FA.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Who is Tank Johnson? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Wade Phillips tell it, anybody could have worked for Johnson. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Cowboys ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And poof. Just like that, he's gone.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;1735026 said:
He's more than just "pretty athletic." He's an athletic freak like Ware.

Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see Tank's suspension coming to an end?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;1735067 said:
Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see Tank's suspension coming to an end?
For the curious.

Tank Johnson
Height: 6026
Weight: 302
40 Yrd Dash: 4.72
20 Yrd Dash: 2.78
10 Yrd Dash: 1.69
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 31
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 9'6"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.67
3-Cone Drill: 7.59

Compare that to Spencer, who isn't exactly a slouch.

Anthony Spencer
Height: 6027
Weight: 261
40 Yrd Dash: 4.70
20 Yrd Dash: 2.74
10 Yrd Dash: 1.64
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'4"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.43
3-Cone Drill: 7.14

He's 40 pounds heavier, and has comparable numbers. That's a freak. And that's more than a banana.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;1735082 said:
For the curious.

Tank Johnson

Anthony Spencer

He's 40 pounds heavier, and has comparable numbers. That's a freak. And that's more than a banana.

Just for old time's sake, could you compare his speed to Stanback's for me?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1735082 said:
That's a freak. And that's more than a banana.
Totem-Gaanaxadi-Raven-Crest..jpg

khiladi

Reaction score
theogt;1735082 said:
For the curious.

Tank Johnson

Anthony Spencer

woh... 40 lbs heavier and runs an equivalent 40... look at the vertical and broad jump...

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
theogt: I'm not going to argue with you because I respect your analysis a lot of the time, and you really know your college/combine info.

I'll concede that Tank is probably an extremely physically gifted player.

I just didn't see that translate much onto the field when I watched Chicago last year, so I am trying to temper my enthusiasm.

I get the feeling that our fanbase is thinking we just got a Pro Bowl DT stud, and I don't think Tank is that. Now I'd be doing backflips if it was Tommie Harris we were getting. Harris was the dominant player on that Bears line. Harris was the one that demanded double teams. Harris was the stud.

I think Tank is a very good complimentary player. I don't think he is a stud in his own right.

But we will see. I was just trying to give some guidance and my impression that we are getting a nice player, but not a dominant one. In other words, to the extent something is wrong with our DL, I don't expect Tank to be the kind of player who turns it all around. He might be a little better than Ratliff, but I wouldn't expect much more. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.