Tank Johnson's Impact on the Passing Game

khiladi

Reaction score
cobra;1735128 said:
theogt: I'm not going to argue with you because I respect your analysis a lot of the time, and you really know your college/combine info.

I'll concede that Tank is probably an extremely physically gifted player.

I just didn't see that translate much onto the field when I watched Chicago last year, so I am trying to temper my enthusiasm.

I get the feeling that our fanbase is thinking we just got a Pro Bowl DT stud, and I don't think Tank is that. Now I'd be doing backflips if it was Tommie Harris we were getting. Harris was the dominant player on that Bears line. Harris was the one that demanded double teams. Harris was the stud.

I think Tank is a very good complimentary player. I don't think he is a stud in his own right.

But we will see. I was just trying to give some guidance and my impression that we are getting a nice player, but not a dominant one. In other words, to the extent something is wrong with our DL, I don't expect Tank to be the kind of player who turns it all around. He might be a little better than Ratliff, but I wouldn't expect much more. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The reason I was asking is because of the speed of TJ and how Wade plays a different style than Chicago... If Tank is that quick off the ball, and he is asked to explode to the gap, we are looking at some definite pressure up the middle...

Wade made Wiley, who was a bum everywhere else he played, a Pro-Bowler in Buffalo...

khiladi

Reaction score
Cowboy Junkie;1735142 said:
The Bears defense has been poor his year , how much of impact did Tank have on this?????

To be fair, they haven't been healthy...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think it would be one thing if we ran a 4 - 3 and were getting rid of the weakest link in favor of a good player like tank. But it's not like we've been struggling at NT. So he'll help, but he's not superman.

khiladi

Reaction score
TheCount;1735154 said:
I think it would be one thing if we ran a 4 - 3 and were getting rid of the weakest link in favor of a good player like tank. But it's not like we've been struggling at NT. So he'll help, but he's not superman.

Problem is, we haven't been getting an interior pass rush from our NTs, as much as we'd like...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Look at that vertical and broad jump... It's better than Spencer's even at over 300 lbs.

Of course, what this really means is that Spencer is a bust.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1735162 said:
Look at that vertical and broad jump... It's better than Spencer's even at over 300 lbs.

Of course, what this really means is that Spencer is a bust.

:laugh2: I knew someone would say it.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Tank will most definitely help the passing game. He's going to be our deep threat to take the focus off of TO. Look at that 40 time.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
peplaw06;1735174 said:
Tank will most definitely help the passing game. He's going to be our deep threat to take the focus off of TO. Look at that 40 time.
Tank Johnson >>>>> Sam Hurd

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
more of an impact on the running game than the passing game. If he ends the year will 3 sacks I would be shocked personally.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Heck, might as well see if Tank can handle TE/FB duties with that time, especially around the goalline.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PFW The Way We Hear It

Dallas

Oct. 26, 2007

Tank not expected to fill major role at first for Cowboys

Talk around the Cowboys has moved during the bye week to what NT Tank Johnson, who has had limited practice time the past few weeks, might add to the defense. It’s a good question. Though he plays a position of need because of the lack of depth in the middle of the line, some scouts have questioned whether he’s a good fit as a 3-4 nose tackle, even in a Wade Phillips system that asks its guys to hold the point less than traditional two-gap defenses. Johnson did his best work in Chicago playing in a wave, kniving through the line as a gap penetrator, and that might be the best situation for him in Dallas. Our sources don’t expect Johnson to take over as the starter for Jay Ratliff anytime soon. Instead, they feel he can come in and make a few plays in a rotation early on. But any expectations past that appear foolish. When asked two weeks ago what Johnson might add, Phillips showed very little enthusiasm towards his new player in a phone interview with PFW. He talked about Johnson needing to fit in with his team and be a good person first and that his talent ultimately could allow him to make an impact. Set your expectations to low for Johnson at first. As of now, he’s eligible to return the week before the Cowboys’ Week 10 game vs. the Giants, pending a change of heart by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cobra;1734941 said:
Tank is just good-pretty good. He isn't anything special. He's got a cool name and was in the papers a lot because of his off-the-field stuff. He's pretty atheletic. But he isn't a dominating football player. Tommie Harris--the other Chicago defensive tackle--was the animal that everyone game planned for. This allowed Tank to have a lot of single blockers. He did alright with that.

He isn't going to come in here and revolutionize this defense. Getting Ellis back had far more impact on this team then getting Tank in here.

Tank is about as good as Darwin Walker, the guy that replaced him.

Solid, nothing special.

Tommie Harris missed most of last year, which was probably Tank's career year, for awhile it was just Tank and Ian Scott lined up inside

but I agree w/ your take that he's good, but nothing special, he'll help alot to improve our 3rd down defense IMO

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Star4Ever;1734917 said:
He is extremely quick off the ball. However, not playing or practicing (until very recently) since early February will most likely have a negative impact on his quickness, at least until he knocks the rust off. Regardless, he's a talented player that adds much needed depth if nothing else. Personally, I think he will provide a big lift, especially in December and beyond.

I agree that he will provide a big lift to the defense. And, I think his effectiveness will show up in the Giants game, as he is going to be working his butt off to show his appreciation to Wade and Jerry for giving him a second chance, and, he is going to be fresh. He will want to make a big impact his first game out, just to become one of the team.

Eli is going to be running for his life.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
So, basically Tank because a starter because he was solid were Scott was strong and was strong were Scott was weak. I will take solid against the run and strong on the pass rush.

This is a test, right?

khiladi

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1735330 said:
but I agree w/ your take that he's good, but nothing special, he'll help alot to improve our 3rd down defense IMO

And that is our faux pas as of late...

hockix

Reaction score
If he can give Rat.. some rest and play well, I'll take it.
Everything more is bonus.