Tank the season to go after Trevor Lawrence at QB? Thread **merged**

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Yikes! Looks like a big gamble that could backfire and be super costly. Don't listen to the hype. Watch and study film.

If Dak is able to fully recover and settle for a $35 mil/season contract, I say sign Dak longterm and use that early 1st round pick to either address the Defense or Oline, ...or trade down for extra draft picks to better address the many holes on this team. Drafting a rookie QB with that costly early 1st round pick will do nothing to fix the many problems on this team, especially if Dak is able to heal and come back.

What say you?

:popcorn:

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Trevor Lawrence is another Jake Locker.

Low IQ football fans and brain dead analysts hype up every tall slow big arm quarterback like Daniel Jones, Darnold, Goff, and Lawrence every year then a mobile athletic quarterback like Russel Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, and Watson end up being head and shoulders better.:facepalm:

Fields will be a much better quarterback than Lawrence

SoBlue128

Reaction score
With the way offenses are playing it might be smarter to go after Fields. I’m no GM but maybe if Fields is there you draft him, Dak is already franchised and you get on the phone with the Colts and see if you can get a first. Admit to yourself you’re rebuilding and unload the bad contracts. Heck IDK it sounds good so it’s prob not likely. We need two DT’s, 1 LB Safety and corner on D AND a young LT. That’s gonna be two drafts and some good moves in FA and a QB on a rookie contract can help

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
I don't think we will have to "tank" on purpose, it's possible our talent level will not get us any more wins even with our players "trying" as hard as they can. At least their definition of trying. But I don't think we will lose games on purpose, we are just that horrible.

KingLerxst

Reaction score
Lawrence is just a junior. A lot of the issues in this video are from his Sophomore year. Low IQ fans and brain dead analysts will point out any flaw they can find to try and drive down the hype. Is he the next Tom Brady? Probably not. But he does have a tremendous amount of skill. He also has a number of flaws. Never seen a college QB that didn’t.
If he’s fortunate enough to go to the right team with good coaching and management. Willing to put necessary talent around him. He will have just as good a chance as any at becoming an all pro possibly HOF player in the NFL.
All that being said. If Dallas ended up with the first or even second pick. I’d go with the proven talent they have in Dak over Lawrence or Fields. Rape some team for multiple picks wanting to move up for one of them. And use that to fill the myriad holes on defense and o line.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Lawrence is just a junior. A lot of the issues in this video are from his Sophomore year. Low IQ fans and brain dead analysts will point out any flaw they can find to try and drive down the hype. Is he the next Tom Brady? Probably not. But he does have a tremendous amount of skill. He also has a number of flaws. Never seen a college QB that didn’t.
If he’s fortunate enough to go to the right team with good coaching and management. Willing to put necessary talent around him. He will have just as good a chance as any at becoming an all pro possibly HOF player in the NFL.
All that being said. If Dallas ended up with the first or even second pick. I’d go with the proven talent they have in Dak over Lawrence or Fields. Rape some team for multiple picks wanting to move up for one of them. And use that to fill the myriad holes on defense and o line.

The worst gm in the league would waste all of those picks. And as much as I would love to have Trevor, his career would be wasted in Dallas.

irving

Reaction score

Yikes! Looks like a big gamble that could backfire and be super costly. Don't listen to the hype. Watch and study film.

If Dak is able to fully recover and settle for a $35 mil/season contract, I say sign Dak longterm and use that early 1st round pick to either address the Defense or Oline, ...or trade down for extra draft picks to better address the many holes on this team. Drafting a rookie QB with that costly early 1st round pick will do nothing to fix the many problems on this team, especially if Dak is able to heal and come back.

What say you?

:popcorn:

You make to much sense, that won't go over well here.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Trevor Lawrence is another Jake Locker.

Low IQ football fans and brain dead analysts hype up every tall slow big arm quarterback like Daniel Jones, Darnold, Goff, and Lawrence every year then a mobile athletic quarterback like Russel Wilson, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, and Watson end up being head and shoulders better.:facepalm:

Fields will be a much better quarterback than Lawrence
Lawrence is faster and more mobile than Dak was or ever will be. He’s extremely mobile. Go watch some film.

KB1122

Reaction score
I would still use a top 5 draft choice on a quarterback, Lawrence or not. We shouldn't expect to be in that position very often.

I would take a look at the 3 qbs being projected top 5 and take the one I want.

KB1122

Reaction score
We have 4 compensatory picks coming. We can trade back into the first round for a defensive stud and/or do a saturation draft on defense.

Unless you have a sure-thing elite quarterback currently, you should use a top 5 pick on a quarterback, IMO, if there are any good enough for it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
With the way offenses are playing it might be smarter to go after Fields. I’m no GM but maybe if Fields is there you draft him, Dak is already franchised and you get on the phone with the Colts and see if you can get a first. Admit to yourself you’re rebuilding and unload the bad contracts. Heck IDK it sounds good so it’s prob not likely. We need two DT’s, 1 LB Safety and corner on D AND a young LT. That’s gonna be two drafts and some good moves in FA and a QB on a rookie contract can help

Fields is better than Lawrence. I think Lawrence has bust potential.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not overthinking it. Lawrence has create-a-player physical tools and can both read defense and streetball it when things get hairy. Zero injury issues, and zero personal issues aside from thinking his goofy-*** hair is OK.

Does he screw up some reads? Sure. Every quarterback screws up some reads. Russell Wilson just threw a game-losing pick tonight straight to a linebacker he never saw, because he assumed that 'backer was coming on a blitz. He's still Russell Wilson. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

That isn't to say that Lawrence can't bust, because success in the NFL is so situational. Look at all the former players for Adam Gase and Jeff Fisher before and after they left those coaches. If the Jets don't launch Gase into the sun, he could make Lawrence his next Ryan Tannehill. But I think that Lawrence has an awesome chance of being a franchise QB in any remotely OK situation. Look at Burrow for example - even on a dumpster fire team, you can still see the talent shine through.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not overthinking it. Lawrence has create-a-player physical tools and can both read defense and streetball it when things get hairy. Zero injury issues, and zero personal issues aside from thinking his goofy-*** hair is OK.

Does he screw up some reads? Sure. Every quarterback screws up some reads. Russell Wilson just threw a game-losing pick tonight straight to a linebacker he never saw, because he assumed that 'backer was coming on a blitz. He's still Russell Wilson. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

That isn't to say that Lawrence can't bust, because success in the NFL is so situational. Look at all the former players for Adam Gase and Jeff Fisher before and after they left those coaches. If the Jets don't launch Gase into the sun, he could make Lawrence his next Ryan Tannehill. But I think that Lawrence has an awesome chance of being a franchise QB in any remotely OK situation. Look at Burrow for example - even on a dumpster fire team, you can still see the talent shine through.
The jets played really inspired today, hopefully they can make it to 3 wins.