Tashard Choice:17 carries for 90 yards

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Real1st;2515483 said:
Because he is not patient with the run.. If the run gets stopped 2 or 3 times for minimum gains fire crotch stops running the ball.
When you have runners like Choice, you keep pounding and eventually you will weaken that defense up. You may have to go a few 3 and outs, but the defense doesn't have a clue what you're trying to do, so playactions will be very successful if you continue to run the ball so great point.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Eskimo;2515660 said:
I'm kind of reminded when Emmitt came to the Cowboys and Nate Newton said that all of a sudden he became a Pro Bowler - the point being that a RB with great vision and quickness to the hole can make an OL look great just as one with poor vision and slow to the hole can make an OL look bad.

Barber makes the OL look bad - he gains most of his yards on gigantic holes or on one man solo efforts. He doesn't make the most of the holes the OL gives him. This leads to inconsistency in the running game. For 1.7 years Garrett got used to having an inconsistent running game because of Julius' and Marion's limitations as runners. Now that he has Choice who can consistently get him 3-6 yards, he doesn't know what to do with it.

Hopefully, he'll look over the last few weeks of game film and discover that he has a weapon he has not yet had here as an OC - a consistent RB who will get him yards almost everytime he touches the ball. Hopefully he'll then learn how to use that to his advantage to get his WRs in behind the LBs on play-action pass and in-behind safeties who have jumped up for run support.

I like this post, it is very good, and I do believe you have a point. I did not want to get into the Choice is a better runner than Barber thing, but it will eventually come up, in fact, me another guy from my church started that conversation last night, and he did not want to say that Choice was better, but I said it and I started it with Choice has better vision.

isawoj

Reaction score
The really sad thing is, if Garrett is the OC or HC next season, he will once again underutilize the home run threat of Felix and the quick hitting 5 YPC Choice brings to the table because Jerry paid Barber $45mm and you don't bench or platoon $45mm.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
We need to do what the Giants do. Rotate 2 running backs for 3 quarters....then bring in the small bolt of lightning in the 4th when the defense is tired.

So use Barber and Choice for 3 quarters to wear down and punish the defense.....let Felix return KOs and maybe punts to keep him warmed up. Then in the 4th quarter, let Felix and his gamebreaking ability loose on those worn out defenses.

It has worked to a tee for the Giants.

Eskimo

Reaction score
isawoj;2515935 said:
The really sad thing is, if Garrett is the OC or HC next season, he will once again underutilize the home run threat of Felix and the quick hitting 5 YPC Choice brings to the table because Jerry paid Barber $45mm and you don't bench or platoon $45mm.

That's why you need a GM between the owner and head coach - one extra step removed from the pocketbook.

The HC has to put the best players out there to win the game no matter the contract. Choice is better - it is obvious after what he has done to 3 of the best defenses in the NFL. The only thing that has stopped him so far has been Garrett.

DTK

Reaction score
Eskimo;2515909 said:
He is absolutely right - Choice obvously has abilities as a rookie that Barber still doesn't have after 4 years in the league. It is a crying shame it took two injuries for Garrett to even let the kid see the field. His performance is no smoke and mirrors. It has not been him running through gigantic holes or turning the corner on a slow defense. He just picks his way through the line with the tiniest of holes and then shows amazing agility and footwork in the hole. He breaks arm tackles and struggles to fall forward gaining a couple extra yards in the process. He has "it" and he should be our starter from here on out until someone proves they are better than him.

Barber can be the short-yardage runner and ST player next year and fill the role of 3rd sring RB.

The one good thing is that we won't have to hear any whining from him to the press.
I guess you missed my point or I've missed yours.

Sal Pal was saying that Choice was NO GOOD. That he wasn't a good 3rd string RB.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
Real1st;2515483 said:
Because he is not patient with the run.. If the run gets stopped 2 or 3 times for minimum gains fire crotch stops running the ball.

with the weapons we have, we shouldn't have to run more than we do. this falls on romo. he isn't seeing the field.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Looking ahead to next season, I would hope to see Dallas: Find a stud left guard, build an offensive running attack around Choice and Barber with Jones as the change-up back, and draft a massive monster lead fullback.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
sacase;2515480 said:
Choice should have had 3 100 yard games but red headed step child seems to not want him to get it. He gets away from the run to easy

Agreed. If we had simply just run Choice, maybe we'd be 11-4 instead of 9-6. I thought you were suppose to try to establish the run and stick with the run even if you're getting just 1, 2, 3 yards.

We abandon the run too quickly.

Eskimo

Reaction score
DTK;2515970 said:
I guess you missed my point or I've missed yours.

Sal Pal was saying that Choice was NO GOOD. That he wasn't a good 3rd string RB.

I thought based on your quote he was saying that Choice was too good to be a 3rd string RB and that he should have been the starter from game 1.

How anyone could argue that a guy that averages over 5 ypc against the Steelers, Giants and Ravens is not good enough to be a 3rd string RB is beyond me.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
Just for the record, I liked the option pitch play because it was something different and the conversion was pretty big. Choice hadn't fumbled the ball he easily gets the 1st down and if that were Felix it may even be a TD. But he fumbled so....
Anyway, I was behind Choice from the beginning. I love the kids charisma and energy he brings and with a bit of seasoning (get rid of the "rookie" status) I see this guy as a team leader that the Cowboys need ala Irvin or Emmitt. :)

bysbox1

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2516036 said:
Agreed. If we had simply just run Choice, maybe we'd be 11-4 instead of 9-6. I thought you were suppose to try to establish the run and stick with the run even if you're getting just 1, 2, 3 yards.

We abandon the run too quickly.

It's the "Mini Mike Martz" offense philosophy. They're using the pass to setup the run and attenpting to stretch the field with the vertical passing game.

The run is more like an after thought.

The problem is this philosphy does not fit the strengths of our players on offense.