Taylor Trial pushed back again...

sacase

Reaction score
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060303/APS/603030773

Assault trial of Commanders' Taylor delayed again

By CURT ANDERSON
AP Legal Affairs Writer

MIAMI -- The trial of Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor on aggravated assault charges has been delayed again by a judge who also heard allegations Friday that one witness in the case has been threatened and offered money.

Miami-Dade County Circuit Judge Mary Barzee agreed to delay the trial from March 20 to April 10 at the request of Taylor's defense team, which now numbers three lawyers. They said more time was needed to take witness statements, including three people who live in other states.

At a hearing, prosecutor Michael Grieco said one witness in the Miami area had gotten several threatening phone calls and been offered cash to influence testimony. He declined to identify the witness or who might have contacted that person.

"It's an open investigation," Grieco said.

Taylor, 22, faces a maximum of 46 years in prison on three aggravated assault charges and one misdemeanor battery charge stemming from a June 1 confrontation with a group of people in a dispute over an all-terrain vehicle. Each aggravated assault charge carries a mandatory minimum prison term of three years.

Taylor, who was not present in court Friday, has pleaded not guilty and is free on $16,500 bail.

Because a gun was allegedly used in the confrontation, prosecutors have refused to waive the minimum 3-year prison term in exchange for a guilty plea. Taylor, however, insists that he did not nave a gun nor did anyone else, his lawyer said.

"It was a fistfight. There were no guns, no knives, no clubs, no weapons of any kind," said Taylor attorney Edward Carhart.

Taylor, a former University of Miami standout, signed a seven-year, $18 million contract with the Commanders after he was drafted in 2004. Defense lawyers have listed as potential Taylor character witnesses Commanders coach Joe Gibbs and owner Daniel Snyder, although it is far from certain whether either will actually testify.

Taylor has been fined several times during his two-year football career for various infractions, including a $17,000 penalty imposed by the NFL for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January. He also recovered a fumble in that game and ran it back for a touchdown.

He was fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium and has also been penalized for illegal hits and uniform violations.

He has six interceptions and 120 tackles in his two seasons.

Bribing witnesses is never good.

I wonder if he keeps hiring new attorneys if he can keep gettin the trial delayed. Enough is enough already. I mean this happened last july? They haven't bothered to interview witnesses from other states yet? He should have went to trial back in September. :mad:

Gaede

Reaction score
Goes to show, if you have money and no morals and or ethics, you can get away with almost anything.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gaede said:
Goes to show, if you have money and no morals and or ethics, you can get away with almost anything.

True but this was interesting....

article said:
MIAMI -- The trial of Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor on aggravated assault charges has been delayed again by a judge who also heard allegations Friday that one witness in the case has been threatened and offered money.

Gaede

Reaction score
You'd think that hearing those allegations would force the judge to accelerate this whole process instead of delaying it.

mbanx

Reaction score
Gibbs and snyder are willing to be character witnesses for Taylor!? They both know what kind of guy he is and if they say he is a great guy then they know they are both LIARS. I don't see how Gibbs can face all the people in his church much less himself since he claims to he such a super good christian.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

It would be even more interesting if Daniel Snyder were the one offering money. :)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Gaede said:
You'd think that hearing those allegations would force the judge to accelerate this whole process instead of delaying it.

Or to slow it down in order to collect more evidence

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
mbanx said:
I don't see how Gibbs can face all the people in his church much less himself since he claims to he such a super good christian.

Unless he's a seventh day Adventist I don't see how he could EVER go to church what with his current "job" and his NASCAR team both occuppying Sundays. I guess Wednesday night is a possibility.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
Unless he's a seventh day Adventist I don't see how he could EVER go to church what with his current "job" and his NASCAR team both occuppying Sundays. I guess Wednesday night is a possibility.
Well NASCAR has a minister deliver a prayer before every race so it wouldn't be hard to have a church service before the race.

VirusX

Reaction score
Im sure Tagliabue will put a 3 day extension on the trial date also. :lmao2:

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

I'm on the record for being sick of Pro's who are above the law. He's a huge talent with a ton of potential. But, if he did this. Then lock him up.

I don't care if it hurts the team.

sacase

Reaction score
Wheat said:
I'm on the record for being sick of Pro's who are above the law. He's a huge talent with a ton of potential. But, if he did this. Then lock him up.

Whea, you get my respect for saying that. I am glad you are not blind like many others.

VirusX

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Maybe Tags offered the payment :D

Holy crap Upshawn would blow after that one. :laugh2:

That money was supposed to be in our cap increase PAUL!!! :eek:

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
sacase said:
Whea, you get my respect for saying that. I am glad you are not blind like many others.

I think Jamal Lewis and Ray Lewis should still be sitting in Jail.

If I didn't think Taylor if found guilty should be in the same place. I'd be an even bigger hypocrite than usual. ;)

VirusX

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Or in Upshaw's pocket :D

I can see it now. Live on ESPN Upshawn walking out of the bulding.

Upshawn: the NFLPA has come to terms with the owners on a new CBA that gives more to all of us.

*camera pans out

Upshawn walks away with wads of cash sticking out of his pockets, some spilling into the street.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Wheat said:

Bufford it was...See, my gut told me your a good man.

By the way, i would say the same thing if it was...say Bledsoe in the same boat...lol.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
What's sad is that they are over at CPND claiming that the witness could:

1. Be paid by somebody else to testify AGAINST Taylor.

2. Some rabid Commanders fan that has no ties to Taylor

3. Some rabid Miami Hurricanes fan that has no ties to Taylor.

According to many of the posters over there, they can't believe Taylor would be that dumb to try to bribe or threaten a witness.

Tell me when you stop laughing.

Rich.......
"I believe him. There's no other safety in the league I'd rather be coaching" - D-Coordinator Gregg Williams after Sean Taylor was kicked out of the game for spitting on Michael Pittman and later lied to the press that he never spit on Pittman