Taylor Trial Update

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Trial of Commanders' Taylor delayed so he won't miss playoffs
Trial of Commanders' Taylor delayed so he won't miss playoffs

January 13, 2006

MIAMI (AP) -- The trial of Washington Commanders safety Sean Taylor for allegedly pointing a gun during a dispute was postponed Friday so it won't interfere with his availability through the NFL playoffs.

Prosecutor Michael Grieco told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Mary Barzee that Taylor should not be treated differently than any other defendant, many of whom have to miss work to attend court, and his trial should begin as scheduled Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

He also pointed to Taylor's ejection from last Saturday's playoff win over Tampa Bay for spitting in the face of Buccaneer running back Michael Pittman.

"Mr. Taylor has not been a model citizen," Grieco said.

But Taylor's attorney, Edward Carhart, told the judge that would create a hardship for Taylor and the Commanders, who play the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday. If they win, they would play Jan. 22 in the NFC championship game. Carhart also said he still needs to interview some witnesses.

Barzee agreed with Carhart and moved the trial to March 20. The trial had originally been scheduled for last October, but was delayed so Taylor would not have to leave the team. Taylor was not at Friday's hearing.

Taylor, a former University of Miami standout, was allegedly among a group of people who got into an armed confrontation over an all-terrain vehicle. Prosecutors say Taylor pointed a gun during the dispute and is charged with aggravated assault with a firearm and simple battery.

Taylor, who has pleaded not guilty, faces up to 16 years in prison if convicted. Taylor signed a seven-year, $18 million contract after being drafted by the Commanders in 2004. He is free on $16,500 bond.

16 years if convicted!!!! Here's to swift justice!

ghst187

Reaction score
Teague31 said:
16 years if convicted!!!! Here's to swift justice!

The sign of a society with misaligned priorities...

hate to affect the outcome of a sports contest with more trivial things like...the law, justice, felonies...

Broohaha

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
The sign of a society with misaligned priorities...

hate to affect the outcome of a sports contest with more trivial things like...the law, justice, felonies...

You want to talk about misaligned priorities? I think the fact that all of you Cowboy fans are rooting ardently for Taylor to be sent to jail for 16 years over POINTING A GUN at somebody just so it will hurt the Commanders' chances on the field is pretty sad.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Broohaha said:
You want to talk about misaligned priorities? I think the fact that all of you Cowboy fans are rooting ardently for Taylor to be sent to jail for 16 years over POINTING A GUN at somebody just so it will hurt the Commanders' chances on the field is pretty sad.

That's a crock. If the trial had taken place when it should have, we wouldn't be talking about this because Taylor would have either been out of the picture months ago, or this would all be behind him. Obviously he thinks he's going to do some time, or he wouldn't keep putting it off.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Broohaha said:

Dude if this had been me or you, we would both be trying to protect our manflower right now. If Roy Williams got this kind of preferential treatment, I would be upset as well. I'm tired of thugs, regardless of what team they play for, not being held to the same standards we are. We are all Americans and should be treated as equals. What pisses me off is how Taylor can act so stupid and point a gun and fire it? Now if it's not true, then I would not want him to go to prison.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Broohaha said:

Yeah, forget the persuit of justice. He's an athlete.:eek:

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Broohaha said:
I would say it doesn't have anything to really do with cowboys Commanders. I think it's a lot of us are sick and tired of seeing wealthy people get special treatment for crimes like this. If it where you or I we would have to take off work to attend. Our bail would have been a lot higher. Look at Leonare Little, Kills someone while DUI and less than a year or so he gets stopped again for DUI but gets away because the Judge didn't think the officer had cause to test him. Please he was speeding late at night and the officer said he smelled it. Now if it where you or I we would have gone to jail with the first offense and no way would we have walked the second time espically while on probation from the first one......

So don't assume it's all because the Skins-Boys hate..... its because he is being treated differently than most of us would be and it's not right.

Naruto

Reaction score
Broohaha said:

You said that like he's just getting in trouble for POINTING HIS FINGER at someone. Like it's no big deal. LMAO

And yes I'm rooting for the justice system to actually work against an NFL player this time. Taylor is scum and needs to be dealt with accordingly.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Do you think they would postpone the trial for a flag football championship?

jksmith269

Reaction score
Broohaha said:
BTW where are you getting 16 yrs the mandatory sentence is 10 of which he would only have to serve 3 plus the time for assualt which would prob be probation.

Broohaha

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I would say it doesn't have anything to really do with cowboys Commanders. I think it's a lot of us are sick and tired of seeing wealthy people get special treatment for crimes like this. If it where you or I we would have to take off work to attend. Our bail would have been a lot higher. Look at Leonare Little, Kills someone while DUI and less than a year or so he gets stopped again for DUI but gets away because the Judge didn't think the officer had cause to test him. Please he was speeding late at night and the officer said he smelled it. Now if it where you or I we would have gone to jail with the first offense and no way would we have walked the second time espically while on probation from the first one......

So don't assume it's all because the Skins-Boys hate..... its because he is being treated differently than most of us would be and it's not right.

What "special treatment" is he getting? His trial got delayed? BFD. Everyone has the right to petition the court for a trial delay and the judge allowed it for Taylor. *That* is preferential treatment? :confused:

neosapien23

Reaction score
Broohaha said:
What "special treatment" is he getting? His trial got delayed? BFD. Everyone has the right to petition the court for a trial delay and the judge allowed it for Taylor. *That* is preferential treatment? :confused:

The dealyed it just so he could be in the playoffs. Judges usually only grant dealys if the lawyer is trying to gather more evidence for their argeuments. The right for an extension is not granted for someone to be in a football game. The judge is prbably a Skins fan.

jksmith269

Reaction score
Broohaha said:
Becasue the playoffs YES they postponed it during the season and again now. If you went to court and said Judge I gotta work the judge may give you one extension but not two.... Oh and you would be required to be at the hearing for the extension which Taylor hasn't been at either of his... Fact is if he gets found guilty he's gone for 3 years..

Now I don't agree or disagree with what he did. Heck if someone had stole my ATV's and I found out who they where I'd go looking for them as well. Now I don't think I'd pull a gun on em but surley want to beat the crap out of them....

ghst187

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:

that's exactly right.
If it were Roy Williams, I would want Dallas to be done with him.

Who was it a few years back...i think he was a Panther....when the police were chasing him yelled back to them that "it's okay, i'm a pro football player" (VOMIT) that's disgusting. Commit a crime, go to jail regardless of your bank account.
BTW, I actually hold being a "U" graduate against Taylor far more than I do that he's a foreskin. But neither status affects my argument.

neosapien23

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
that's exactly right.
If it were Roy Williams, I would want Dallas to be done with him.

Who was it a few years back...i think he was a Panther....when the police were chasing him yelled back to them that "it's okay, i'm a pro football player" (VOMIT) that's disgusting. Commit a crime, go to jail regardless of your bank account.
BTW, I actually hold being a "U" graduate against Taylor far more than I do that he's a foreskin. But neither status affects my argument.

It was Rae Carrruth.

jksmith269

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
It was Rae Carrruth.
No that wasn't rae he was found hiding in the trunk of his girlfriends trunk in another state. He was never actually chased... There was a player that did say something stupid like that though...

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Broohaha said:

And the other person at the end of that POINTED GUN deserves to get justice for standing at the end of that POINTED GUN that’s trigger could have been pulled, intentionally or accidentally, ending his life. The only reason this is a "Commanders" issue is because the judge made it so by delaying the trial so that the "Commanders" wouldn't be hurt in the play offs by actually having justice take it's "timely" course.

If he hadn't been a Commander and if they hadn't been in the playoffs, his butt would be sitting in a defense chair in court instead of on the sidelines in a playoff game.

He is innocent until proven guilty, but this was a violent crime and a judge shouldn’t victimize the “victim” again. It's a slap in the face to that victim. It's equivalent to saying that the playoffs are more important than an assault or possible attempt on that person’s life.

BTW.. I was in favor of the removal of Cowboys players that broke the law or league rules... Hollywood Henderson, Quincy Carter, the boyz in the "White House" incident, Barry Stupid Switzer for taking a gun into an airport and I support Michael Irvin being an idiot for his latest fiasco… just to name a few (and there are many) If they are stupid enough to get themselves into situation where violations of the law or league rules exist, they should be put on suspension until their guilt or innocence is proven... I don't care who they are....