TE is the other offensive weakness

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Re sign Schultz in the off-season with McKeon backing him up would love to see Eubanks make a return in 2022 in camp . I don’t know out of 22 positions TE has to rank very low on the needs list going into 2022
And Jarwin?

ghst187

Reaction score
Look no further than the OL issues and Dak hasn’t been as sharp as he was earlier in the season. All of our receivers numbers have declined some since early in the season.

look at the run game numbers vs the early part of the season…we were getting way over 10 yards sometimes 200 in the run game and now…lucky to sniff 100 combined and that’s only if Pollard rips off a big run or two. The OL play has tanked hard which is disallowing the run, which opens up the entire playbook and field. Right now, teams can just stack the box and squat on the short routes. Dak hasn’t played really well but I think it’s been more a symptom of the OL than the culprit. Our entire O revolves around our OL beating up teams and giving Dak 5-7 seconds to throw.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes, the offensive line play has dropped off.

Yes, the running plays have been more plain vanilla and less effective.

Yes, there have been more drops by receivers.

Yes, Dak has made some poor choices.

Yes, the offensive play calling has been head scratching.

But here's something I haven't seen or heard anyone address: The diminished role of the tight end.

Over the first 7 games of the season, when Dallas went 6-1 and outscored opponents 225-162, tight ends caught 43 passes on 56 targets for 460 yards and 5 TDs.

Over the last 5 games, in which Dallas is 2-3 and has barely outscored opponents 128-105 (thanks to the lopsided 43-3 victory of Atlanta), tight ends have only caught 23 passes on 33 attempts for 237 yards and 2 TDs.

I don't know for sure that 11 personnel has been used less frequently in this rough patch (although my Spidey sense says that it has), or that it has had a direct relationship to the declining effectiveness of the run game (ditto) or things like 3rd down conversion rates and drive length (ditto and ditto), but that would be an interesting study.

My totally uneducated opinion is that, when the offense is playing well, the tight ends are an important component because they are complementing both the passing game and the running game -- and that they have been used less frequently and less effectively over the past 5 games, when the offense that was white hot to start the season has cooled considerably. I'd sure like to see it fixed over the remainder of this season.

Thats because they had Jarwin and once Gallup went down they were featuring the 12 formation and killing it with the run game. Once Jarwin went down they had to go back to more of an 11 formation with 3 WR's. Teams also started doubling Shutlz.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

But here's something I haven't seen or heard anyone address: The diminished role of the tight end.

Over the first 7 games of the season, when Dallas went 6-1 and outscored opponents 225-162, tight ends caught 43 passes on 56 targets for 460 yards and 5 TDs.

Over the last 5 games, in which Dallas is 2-3 and has barely outscored opponents 128-105 (thanks to the lopsided 43-3 victory of Atlanta), tight ends have only caught 23 passes on 33 attempts for 237 yards and 2 TDs.

I don't know for sure that 11 personnel has been used less frequently in this rough patch (although my Spidey sense says that it has), or that it has had a direct relationship to the declining effectiveness of the run game (ditto) or things like 3rd down conversion rates and drive length (ditto and ditto), but that would be an interesting study.

My totally uneducated opinion is that, when the offense is playing well, the tight ends are an important component because they are complementing both the passing game and the running game -- and that they have been used less frequently and less effectively over the past 5 games, when the offense that was white hot to start the season has cooled considerably. I'd sure like to see it fixed over the remainder of this season.
The only issue I have with the tight end. It’s blocking

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Dalton Schultz has played very well this season. He’s not a weak link. He’s almost equalled his totals from last season.
Yeah, but he is average as a pass catcher and he sucks at blocking. He is replaceable. We need a beast at TE. A beast TE helps in the redzone and is a QB's best friend.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, but he is average as a pass catcher and he sucks at blocking. He is replaceable. We need a beast at TE. A beast TE helps in the redzone and is a QB's best friend.

He’s been better than average as a pass catcher in my opinion and he’s improving. He knows how to find soft spots in the defense and has been getting open quite a bit. I’ve seen him break a few tackles. He’s been solid as a receiver.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Schultz is currently having a better season than last season. Everyone was pleased with his play last season and considered him one of the bright spots and now all of a sudden he’s a weak link? lol

JBond

Reaction score
He’s not a great blocker but neither was Jason Witten. Being steady is an asset. He already has more receiving yards than Witten had his final two seasons with the Cowboys. He’s on pace to have a more productive season than Witten since 2013. Most of us didn’t think a TE would get many opportunities with all the talent we have at WR. Not sure we ever had this deep a wide receiving corp when Witten was here.
Witten was a stud blocker. He got older. Sounds like you only watched the last 3 years of his career.

JBond

Reaction score
The last few years of his career Witten wasn't good at very much, but the guy was among the best blocking TEs in the league in his prime, maybe the best. Schultz has been fine, but I cant remember a time ever in the league where we have had this many good to elite TEs. If you have a chance to upgrade at the position you would be crazy not to.
Yes!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Witten was a stud blocker. He got older. Sounds like you only watched the last 3 years of his career.

I should’ve made it clear I was referring to the latter part of his career. However the Cowboys had him out there because he could still move the chains.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Our other tightend that has been out with injury and covid has not helped.
Shultz has had the drowseys as well recently.

Jarntt

Reaction score

When you have two TEs that you utilize in the passing game and all of your other TEs are not utilized in the passing game and one gets hurt that will happen as you go 1 TE more often in passing situations. You used 7 games vs 5 games. Jarwin played the first 6 games and missed the last 6. So, If you subtract out Jarwin's stats from the first 7 games it's:
first 7 games: 33-379-3
Last 5 games: 23-237-2
Last 5 extrapolated over 7 games: 32-331-3
Not horribly different

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Schultz has been solid, need Jarwin back, this is a long time for a Hip pointer

JPostSam

Reaction score
When you have two TEs that you utilize in the passing game and all of your other TEs are not utilized in the passing game and one gets hurt that will happen as you go 1 TE more often in passing situations. You used 7 games vs 5 games. Jarwin played the first 6 games and missed the last 6. So, If you subtract out Jarwin's stats from the first 7 games it's:
first 7 games: 33-379-3
Last 5 games: 23-237-2
Last 5 extrapolated over 7 games: 32-331-3
Not horribly different

and if you subtract schultz, it all goes to pot.

that's not how this works.

i'm not suggesting that the tight end play has declined, but that the tight ends as a group have been used less -- and that has made both the passing game and the run game weaker.

JPostSam

Reaction score
i didn't say the tight ends themselves have been bad, i said they haven't been used as much.

yet, somehow, everyone here read it as, "how can you say that schultz sucks?! he's a good player."

well, yeah. but that's not the point.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Schultz is currently having a better season than last season. Everyone was pleased with his play last season and considered him one of the bright spots and now all of a sudden he’s a weak link? lol
Whinners gonna whine it is what they do

Wolfpack

Reaction score
They were also having stay in to help block (which none of them are good at) with Smith out.