Team America: World Police - Changes made to avoid NC-17 Rating...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Puppet oral sex goes against grain for US censors

Team America: World Police

The latest feature film from the creators of South Park is facing the box office kiss of death NC-17 rating because of a scene showing simulated oral sex between marionettes.
The makers of Team America: World Police have reportedly gone to great lengths, modifying the offending scene nine times for submission to the Motion Picture Association of America, the US film classification authority. They are keen to secure an R rating, which would allow under-18s to see the film when accompanied by an adult.

The makers, directors Matt Stone and Trey Parker and producer Scott Rudin, are contesting the MPAA classification, saying that the film doesn't show anything that's not been seen before in other R-rated movies. And besides, Rudin told the Hollywood Reporter, "our characters are made of wood and have no genitalia. If the puppets did to each other what we show them doing, all they'd get is splinters."

A resolution to this dispute is particularly urgent because the film-makers are contractually obliged to deliver an R-rated film for release by October 15, but the film is scheduled for sneak previews this coming weekend.

Stone and Parker are no strangers to ratings wrangles - their 1999 film South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut was also the subject of a very long and public battle with the MPAA, but ultimately got an R rating.

Parker pointed to the differences between the MPAAs treatment of simulated violence and simulated sex. Team America features violent scenes in which a Tim Robbins puppet is set on fire and a Susan Sarandon puppet is dropped off a 20-story building - all acts that passed MPAA muster.

"We blow Janeane Garofalo's head clean off, [but for the MPAA] it's all about the positions of the dolls having sex," Parker said. "It's not funny - it's tragic."​

Duane

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Parker pointed to the differences between the MPAAs treatment of simulated violence and simulated sex. Team America features violent scenes in which a Tim Robbins puppet is set on fire and a Susan Sarandon puppet is dropped off a 20-story building - all acts that passed MPAA muster.

"We blow Janeane Garofalo's head clean off, [but for the MPAA] it's all about the positions of the dolls having sex," Parker said. "It's not funny - it's tragic."

That is one of the things that pisses me off about American cinema/TV values. It seems as though you can do anything as violent as you want but as soon as you get sex involved it's a whole different story. Then we wonder why we have the violence problems we have. IMHO fining the networks over Janet's boob and not doing anything about the vast majority of violence we show on TV is a crime.

trickblue

Reaction score
Duane said:
That is one of the things that pisses me off about American cinema/TV values. It seems as though you can do anything as violent as you want but as soon as you get sex involved it's a whole different story. Then we wonder why we have the violence problems we have. IMHO fining the networks over Janet's boob and not doing anything about the vast majority of violence we show on TV is a crime.

I would much rather see nudity than undue violence...

trickblue

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
What about Violent nudity? :D

I was gonna say that... but I didn't want to take this thread down that road... I figured you may not see this and it could remain clean and pure...

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
islam-reverse-evolution-ape-man-line-up.jpg

This photo depicts more accurately the evolution of humans. Seems to me thats its alot easier for humans to evolve into animals than the reverse.

We have hollywood to prove it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
StarKist said:

This photo depicts more accurately the evolution of humans. Seems to me thats its alot easier for humans to evolve into animals than the reverse.

Or at least Michael Moore :D

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
StarKist said:

hummm... 5 stages huh...

TrickBlue
BrainPaint
Yeagermeister
Cajun
Benned in Austin

or ... mix and match w/ Eric_Boyer, williedog, ArkCowboy, Juke99 and Bufford :D

Whats y'all choosing....LOL

sorry Juke... had to include you... you new mod you...LOL

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
hummm... 5 stages huh...
Give or take a couple of stages. Some men evolve faster than others. It just depends on how frequently they ignore their conscience.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
hummm... 5 stages huh...

TrickBlue
BrainPaint
Yeagermeister
Cajun
Benned in Austin

or ... mix and match w/ Eric_Boyer, williedog, ArkCowboy, Juke99 and Bufford :D

Whats y'all choosing....LOL

sorry Juke... had to enclude you... you new mod you...LOL