CFZ Tell me about this off season

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Jones boys don't care. We will win the East again because those teams are still poor. However we are light years away from a SB or even a Championship game. That will do not only our owners but enough people on here who have absolutely no ambition for this team than apologising for the owners.
Jones boys are so lucky to be in this rubbish division. We are the 49s of the 80/90s without the talent.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Still have the draft. Still have FA. Some Cap space. Too early. In my opinion 2009 was the worst. That draft was BY FAR the worst of all time. I hate the Cooper trade but it’s still too early to say this was bad or good off season.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
For me, the only big loss was Amari.Amari was not perfect,as he had some mental toughness issues, but we’ve seen what Dak looked like pre-Amari.W/ MG, probably not ready right off the bat, It’s time for CD to step up. Will he be able to do so w/out having Amari there to take the main focus of the D.We will see.McClay is going to have to knock it out of the park w/ the draft as Oline has also been weakened.
If Ceedee can’t step up and be #1, no big second contract for him. Good to find out now.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
How can this be (fill in all the catchy media phrases to describe our off-season) which just began really?
  • Worst off-season of the year?
  • Worst off-season in history?
  • A step backwards?
We lost a talented route runner who led the team in no category for receiving in 2021.
We lost a talented DE who had more silly penalties and more missed games than he had sacks.
We avoided 2 hugely talented players, one on offense and one on defense, who had not performed consistently to warrant those huge salaries and dependance by the team for another year.

I liked both players and the flashes they showed, and I was frustrated by their missed games, untimely errors, and lack of consistency or show-up in big games. I am also frustrated that the Cowboys don’t sign big name players in free agency so I can have hope for a little while in what we have on paper.

That said, here is my question for you. Just how bad have the Cowboys gone this off-season from the team that underperformed and didn’t win a playoff game? Assuming we complete our receiving corps and find our starting left guard in the remaining free agency and the draft, are we going to miss Cooper’s 865 yards and Gregory’s 15 tackles and 6 sacks in 12 games so much that we now have no chance to win a playoff game?

I’m not saying we didn’t want to sign big name players at 2-3 positions. But that part drives us crazy every year. It’s like people are basing our “worst off-season in history” on losing Gregory and Cooper. I’m not understanding that.

Today, give me a starting LG and I think our overall team will be just as successful as last year. Hit on 2-3 contributors in the draft, and I still think we may be more successful.
I agree with every word you say. There is no need to panic here. Just let the offseason play out and you may be surprised how well the draft and free agency works out.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
worst offseason in history is ridiculous at this point considering the GMs mishaps for almost 3 decades. Sure it could be better but there were some real doozies in the past that will be tough to top, even for Jerry!
Remember the special teams draft ?
Good times! LOL

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm totally confident by our superior organization (follow the money) that we will compete for a NFCE championship this year. We won't come close to a Superbowl. If you believe anything else very sorry. Build a Cornhole pit in your backyard.
Don't know you well enough to know if this is your reality or being sarcastic???

DanA

Reaction score
The last two drafts put us in a position to take a huge step forward IMO. This years off-season has negated most of that. I don’t mind losing Cooper, Gregory and Collins but I feel like we could have reinvested with 40m worth of replacements rather than peanuts on the likes of Washington and Fowler Jnr.

You put Laken Tomlinson, Futakasi and Wagner on the team rather than LVE, Watkins, and ….the O-line player we didn’t sign and we’re a 1st or 2nd round receiver away from being significantly better and a contender. We have the cap space, I feel like it should have been an all in year rather than half rebuild.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
How can this be (fill in all the catchy media phrases to describe our off-season) which just began really?
  • A step backwards?
We lost a talented route runner who led the team in no category for receiving in 2021.
We lost a talented DE who had more silly penalties and more missed games than he had sacks.
We avoided 2 hugely talented players, one on offense and one on defense, who had not performed consistently to warrant those huge salaries and dependance by the team for another year.

I liked both players and the flashes they showed, and I was frustrated by their missed games, untimely errors, and lack of consistency or show-up in big games. I am also frustrated that the Cowboys don’t sign big name players in free agency so I can have hope for a little while in what we have on paper.

That said, here is my question for you. Just how bad have the Cowboys gone this off-season from the team that underperformed and didn’t win a playoff game? Assuming we complete our receiving corps and find our starting left guard in the remaining free agency and the draft, are we going to miss Cooper’s 865 yards and Gregory’s 15 tackles and 6 sacks in 12 games so much that we now have no chance to win a playoff game?

I’m not saying we didn’t want to sign big name players at 2-3 positions. But that part drives us crazy every year. It’s like people are basing our “worst off-season in history” on losing Gregory and Cooper. I’m not understanding that.

Today, give me a starting LG and I think our overall team will be just as successful as last year. Hit on 2-3 contributors in the draft, and I still think we may be more successful.

The Cowboys don't operate in a vacuum. It's not just what moves the Cowboys make, the rest of the NFL is doing so as well. The "worst offseason in history" talk may be over the top, but the Cowboys haven't done anything to address the weaknesses exposed by good teams last season. Have any of their opponents? I'd argue "yes".

Their 12-5 record was fool's gold. The Cowboys were not the 3rd best NFC team, despite their seeding, and they showed it their last 3 games - home losses to AZ and SF sandwiched around a meaningless rout of the Eagles back ups. The defense was turnover-dependent and weak against the run. If the run defense isn't improved, and they don't lead the league in takeaways again, how far are they really going to go?

At best, a repeat of last season is in the offing. A step back is more likely, given this team's history and the division not having had a repeat champion in years.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Cooper was out played by Lamb last season. That just a fact even with the drops. It's Cee Dee's time to shine 1# I didn't dislike Amari Cooper, I 'm grateful for his time here

But, time marches on.

Gregory was a project, He did some exciting things but some one else saw value in him and poached him. Wish him well but he is by NO means irreplaceable. I think Fowler can give what he gave and then some.

We Got rid of Greg the Peg Zuerlein. That s addition by subtraction right there

DT - Run stuffer type. Another LB to Pair with Micah. a Olineman who can come in a start. Late round WR

Let's Go!!!!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Can't tell you about the off-season until it's over
actually, until the actually season is played odd ironic and moronic for fans and media 3 weeks into the offseason pre-draft and 6 months before game 1 predicting a historically bad offseason and doom and gloom.

the insanity around here has doubled.. i guess its apropos emotional inflation :lmao2::muttley::facepalm:

if fans and media believe 3 weeks into an offseason is predicter of a season ie all is lost because we didn't win the first 3 weeks of paper football?:popcorn: right ghat makes total sense..ummm NOT!!!!:oldcouple:

blueblood70

Reaction score
  • A step backwards?

actually, until the actually season is played

odd, ironic. and moronic for fans and media 3 weeks into the offseason pre-draft and 6 months before game 1 predicting a historically bad offseason and doom and gloom.

the insanity around here has doubled.. i guess its apropos emotional inflation :lmao2::muttley::facepalm:

if fans and media believe 3 weeks into an offseason is predicter of a season ie all is lost because we didn't win the first 3 weeks of paper football?:popcorn: right ghat makes total sense..ummm NOT!!!!:oldcouple:

morasp

Reaction score
There are questions that need to be answered before we really know.

Our run defense was average and got exposed in the playoffs. Will they do anything to upgrade it?

Dak played tentative after he came back from injury will he bounce back or just rack up stats against bad teams?

Did Cooper draw coverage away from other receivers or was the Chiefs game just an aberration?

Can Fowler and Armstrong replace Gregory or will they try to add someone else?

Will Hooker stay healthy for a full season?

Will we get back to being able to run the ball to set up the pass?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I stated earlier in this thread, the assessment of the off-season is way too early to declare. But I am quite certain that the negative feelings shown by many fans here is more a reaction to having the same outcome to a season for the 26th straight time.

All these movies have the same story line. And the same tired old director in charge. That is what’s driving the negative reaction to this off-season. If this was 1999 or some year close to it, the hope level would be so much higher. It’s hard to have hope when the people in charge will never admit they are the problem and make some significant changes.

THAT is what is driving this offseason’s narrative. Not the moves or the players involved.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
When the owner's son fosters a habit of exerting more effort saving cap money than acquiring talent, you know you're in trouble. :omg:

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I stated earlier in this thread, the assessment of the off-season is way too early to declare. But I am quite certain that the negative feelings shown by many fans here is more a reaction to having the same outcome to a season for the 26th straight time.

All these movies have the same story line. And the same tired old director in charge. That is what’s driving the negative reaction to this off-season. If this was 1999 or some year close to it, the hope level would be so much higher. It’s hard to have hope when the people in charge will never admit they are the problem and make some significant changes.

THAT is what is driving this offseason’s narrative. Not the moves or the players involved.

Very good point.

But I choose to still look at positives than negatives, in spite the last 26 years. I don't dwell on negative things I can't change. For life in general. So I apply that to my sports teams as well.
But I will point the negatives out as well as the positives, and even joke about it. We have to have a sense of humor with it.

Frustration takes it toll, it just bothers some more than others as we see on here all the time.
I am just waiting until after the draft, and what moves they make for the OTA's and mini camps, then final posturing before TC. Then will make more of an evaluation of the off-season.

Even then, we still need to see it on the field.