Tell me why we switched offensive coordinators again?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Why on earth would you think that? Like it or not but after Phillips was canned team penalties went down. The offense in particular stopped making quite so many glaring missed assignments.

I meant to address this earlier but when the edit window closed I didn't. So let's do it now:

NFL team rank for penalties per game:

2009: 29th
2010: 27th
2011: 28th
2012: 30th
2013: 23rd

So like I thought I remembered, no real improvement until last year. And even then it's bad.

Another Garrett improvement myth that should have been flushed but somehow keeps floating to the surface.

I also remember plenty of dumb mental errors on offense, especially missed hot reads and bad routes. Hello Dez, Miles, and Kevin Ogletree.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Because that wouldn't average out to the 20-yard line. If you use only the drives from the 20 or inside it, you're looking at drives that average starting on about the 16, or thereabouts. That's not average, and it would leave out most of the team's drives. The idea is to use the average drive not affected by advantageous field position.

That's why I used the 35-yard line as the limit-- because it makes the average starting field position the 20.

Total TD
2012 37
2013 45

Percentage of Drives Ending in TD
2012 20%
2013 24%

Again, you're not going to come to any meaningful conclusions by looking at 10 of the drives and ignoring the other 175, unless your purpose is specifically to measure offensive performance on drives that begin in the red zone (which it clearly is not). If your point is that advantageous field position skews the numbers, then you simply have to leave out the drives that started with advantageous field position. That leaves you with a huge sample of well over 100 drives per team to look at.

I didn't really care why you picked your yard line and I meant to have the second quote pertain to drives inside the 20.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I meant to have the second quote pertain to drives inside the 20.
Fine, but you've chosen a sample that leaves out more than half of the team's drives.

Your original purpose was to eliminate drives that began with good field position following an opponent's turnover or a big return on special teams. You've just lopped off eleven of the offense's 70+ yard touchdown drives.

OhSnap

Reaction score
I meant to address this earlier but when the edit window closed I didn't. So let's do it now:

NFL team rank for penalties per game:

2009: 29th
2010: 27th
2011: 28th
2012: 30th
2013: 23rd

So like I thought I remembered, no real improvement until last year. And even then it's bad.

Another Garrett improvement myth that should have been flushed but somehow keeps floating to the surface.

I also remember plenty of dumb mental errors on offense, especially missed hot reads and bad routes. Hello Dez, Miles, and Kevin Ogletree.

Maybe we need to get more penalties since Seattle and Denver had more? In fact Seattle had the most last year, and Baltimore had the most in 2012. It's surprising they went down last year with all the replacement players and a new defense.