Temper Tantrum

Ren

Reaction score
Think i was in a bad mood for about 5 minutes yesterday after the game but i dunno guess i'm just so used to the let downs now that it really doesn't get to me anymore :(

djmajestik

Reaction score
Danny White;2473188 said:
I agree... it's not worth getting that worked up. It's tough sometimes, though, when you get emotionally invested in something that you ultimately have no control over.

This explains it perfectly for me. I don't "intend" to get upset or mad, but it just happens because it is something that CANNOT be controlled by us fans one bit. But it is also something you live for, watching America's team.

I don't get people that just sit there and take it. It doesn't make sense to me. I am not saying that getting upset is RIGHT, I know it is not the way to act in front of children, but playing sports and competing all my life, I cannot understand how someone can NOT get emotionally involved in the game, if they love it as much as I do.

I guess it is just two completely different points of view, and ways of handling it.

But questioning whether someone is "proud" of acting that way? Come on. Obviously the OP KNOWS, he's not a child. He may choose to act like one at critical times (as do I) but that shouldn't have ever been asked. Just my opinion.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I agree with Hos. There is nothing I can do or say that will change the outcome so why get worked up about it. I used to get mad and let it ruin my week but now after the game I just let it go.

I did let a few words fly after the Ellis offsides call. :(

Oh and BP, Angus used to go in to another room when I'd start watching football. :laugh1:

WarC

Reaction score
superpunk;2473242 said:
Didn't come to that realization until after the killer to the Skins a few years ago. After the second Moss TD, I was just floored. Depressed, felt sick to my stomach. That's when I knew that I cared too damn much in something that doesn't care for me back. Then I was grouchy the next two days and of course my wife had to deal with that.

Not worth it. We love the game but it doesn't love us. So now I can just take it for what it is - entertainment.

That loss had a very similar effect on me, since then when the Boys lose it doesn't hit me as hard. And yesterday I saw it coming. Just knew it was bound to happen. Can't expect to win a game scoring 13 points.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
superpunk;2473242 said:
Didn't come to that realization until after the killer to the Skins a few years ago. After the second Moss TD, I was just floored. Depressed, felt sick to my stomach. That's when I knew that I cared too damn much in something that doesn't care for me back. Then I was grouchy the next two days and of course my wife had to deal with that.

Not worth it. We love the game but it doesn't love us. So now I can just take it for what it is - entertainment.

I hear you. My lowest point was in 2002 on opening day when we lost to the Texans. Yes, we had a horrible team, but to lose to an expansion franchise on national TV was inexcusible.

I can tolerate the Seattle loss in 2005, I can tolerate the Washington loss in 2005, and I can tolerate the loss yesterday, but I blew up over the loss to the expansion Texans.

I threw a temper tantrum unlike any other while watching that game at home, and I was lucky that my wife wasn't around to see it (our kids weren't born yet). I didn't break anything of significance, but I let my emotions get to me, and I threw a glass across the room.

We fans have no control over the situation, and you're right, it is nothing but entertainment. These days, I'm a bit older and more mellow. Last night, I was so emotionally drained that I couldn't even get angry if I tried. It was a loss, but a different kind of loss. This team showed a lot of grit and didn't give up. Sometimes these games go this way, and that is the up and down nature of the NFL.

The highlight of my evening was having my kids (4 year old boy/girl twins) crawl into my lap and say, "Daddy, I'm sorry the Cowboys lost." Both gave me a hug and a kiss, and I called it a night.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2473488 said:
I hear you. My lowest point was in 2002 on opening day when we lost to the Texans. Yes, we had a horrible team, but to lose to an expansion franchise on national TV was inexcusible.

I can tolerate the Seattle loss in 2005, I can tolerate the Washington loss in 2005, and I can tolerate the loss yesterday, but I blew up over the loss to the expansion Texans.

I threw a temper tantrum unlike any other while watching that game at home, and I was lucky that my wife wasn't around to see it (our kids weren't born yet). I didn't break anything of significance, but I let my emotions get to me, and I threw a glass across the room.

We fans have no control over the situation, and you're right, it is nothing but entertainment. These days, I'm a bit older and more mellow. Last night, I was so emotionally drained that I couldn't even get angry if I tried. It was a loss, but a different kind of loss. This team showed a lot of grit and didn't give up. Sometimes these games go this way, and that is the up and down nature of the NFL.

The highlight of my evening was having my kids (4 year old boy/girl twins) crawl into my lap and say, "Daddy, I'm sorry the Cowboys lost." Both gave me a hug and a kiss, and I called it a night.

There is now way anyone could stay mad after that.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
hassell;2473154 said:
My 4 year old daughter witnessed her first Temper Tantrum by her father yesterday afternoon. After the Cowboys blew a ten point lead in the 4th and lost the game I blew up. I was screaming and yelling at the TV. I was so pissed I picked up my dinning room chair and almost launched it accross the room. Instead I slammed it back down and stormed off to my room and slammed the bedroom door.

What frustrates me about this loss is we dominated the game. With 8 minutes left in the game I knew we would lose if we started conservative. Sure enough the coaching staff went from playing aggressive football to playing ball control. We had two 4 and out series and the Steelers played aggressive and tied the score up.

For the life of me I cannot understand why coaches continue to make the same mistakes over and over. When you coach not to lose you usually lose. Why change your approach to the game when it is working so well? I would much rather lose a game by being aggressive then losing a game cause your playing not to lose.

That is the most frustrating part about the loss. We had the win. We were dominating them. But we handed them the ball game. Plain and simple...

695410.jpg

WarC

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2473488 said:

Ayuh I remember that debacle too, also one of the worst ones for me personally.

Boysboy

Reaction score
hassell;2473154 said:
My 4 year old daughter witnessed her first Temper Tantrum by her father yesterday afternoon. After the Cowboys blew a ten point lead in the 4th and lost the game I blew up. I was screaming and yelling at the TV. I was so pissed I picked up my dinning room chair and almost launched it accross the room. Instead I slammed it back down and stormed off to my room and slammed the bedroom door.

What frustrates me about this loss is we dominated the game. With 8 minutes left in the game I knew we would lose if we started conservative. Sure enough the coaching staff went from playing aggressive football to playing ball control. We had two 4 and out series and the Steelers played aggressive and tied the score up.

For the life of me I cannot understand why coaches continue to make the same mistakes over and over. When you coach not to lose you usually lose. Why change your approach to the game when it is working so well? I would much rather lose a game by being aggressive then losing a game cause your playing not to lose.

That is the most frustrating part about the loss. We had the win. We were dominating them. But we handed them the ball game. Plain and simple...

For a minute, I thought this was yet another TO-bashing thread.

thisisepic

One and Done
Reaction score
Ren;2473344 said:
Think i was in a bad mood for about 5 minutes yesterday after the game but i dunno guess i'm just so used to the let downs now that it really doesn't get to me anymore :(

As do most of us by now I am sure.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hostile;2473174 said:
The question is, are you proud she got to see that?

I have never let losses affect me the way some display. Not just on this forum, but in front of my kids and wife. No way. I've never seen the attraction of being that fragile.

Well if thats the case, yesterday I was an egg shell that was just dropped from a 5 story building. I broke up all over the place.

It was just my wife, which doesn't bother her, because she laughs at me...but I was pretty dang pathetic

ethiostar

Reaction score
I hope you won't be too surprised when your daughter throws a tantrum in the near future.

Givincer

Reaction score
Hostile;2473232 said:
I see nothing to admire about being a boor. It doesn't make you smarter, happier, healthier, or more fun to be around. Basically the only thing it accomplishes is for people to see you in a negative light. I have enough of that just because my username is in red.

I've apologized to my family. They've since seen me react better. That includes yesterday. I still doubt they'll ever go with me to a game ever again, and no way will any of them watch a game with me.

I understand the anger. I just don't think it solves anything. In fact I think it makes everything worse. Over-reaction usually does.

I agree completely.

I see it as there is no benefit to making yourself seem mad to everyone. Basically I keep my cool after a loss. I usually think about it and read what people think about it for a long time, but I don't act differently. It's not that I don't care as much as someone who throws things, it's just that I don't view it as beneficial to throw things. It's about self control.

Like you say, overreaction makes it worse. Trying to rationalize it in a reasonable manner makes it better.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
hassell;2473154 said:

I'd say there was a lack of killer instinct. BUT...I think it was limited by Tony Romo's play. His passes had been off and I don't think they could risk putting it up in air.

I'm with you...the frustration is about a defense that played their hearts out, especially on that goalline stand. Frustration in seeing a rookie RB make his first start and do better than most expected him to do against the #1 rush defense in the league. Frustration about seeing receivers (Bennett) wide open in the middle of the field with miles in front of him and the pass sailing over his head to somebody in tight coverage instead.

Frustration says it best.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Age has mellowed me also. It still makes for a piss-poor week when we lose but there's not too much yelling, screaming and destruction of property anymore! My son, who usually watches the game w/ me, probably helped tone me down as I don't want him to get too bummed after losing (he HATES it, btw, whether its one of his boys' club teams or Dallas, and tears usually flow after playoff/championship losses). It still eats at me inside, though...