Temple lineman shows skills at combine

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Temple lineman shows skills at combine
By Ray Parrillo

Inquirer Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS - There are more than 300 players here at the NFL scouting combine. They are psychoanalyzed, weighed, measured, poked, prodded and put through paces that make them sweat and strain until veins bulge out of their necks.

It's all part of the process leading to the NFL draft in late April.

For many of the players - mostly those who got widespread exposure because they play for colleges known for their football prowess - it is pure drudgery.

Not for Terrance Knighton. The nose tackle from Temple is loving every moment of it, probably because few got an invitation as hard-earned as his.

"I didn't have an invite," Knighton said yesterday. "Then I went to El Paso [in late January], and they put me through one-on-one drills. To be honest, I dominated, and I got an invitation."

Knighton, measured at the combine at 6-foot-3, 321 pounds, is one of a dozen players in attendance from area colleges. Penn State leads the way with eight. Only USC (12) and LSU (10) have more. Rutgers has three. When all the probing by scouts is done, some prospects will rise and others will fall.

But from what you hear, Knighton is on the rise from a projected seventh-rounder. When NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock was asked which nose tackles ranked high on his list, he quickly mentioned Knighton.

"There's a bit of a buzz about him right now," Mayock said the other day.

Knighton's agent, Tony Paige, said the buzz among NFL scouts about his client started during drills at last month's Texas vs. The Nation All-Star Challenge.

"Terrance showed then that combination of size and athleticism they want for a guy at that position," Paige said.

Knighton knows what it's like to fight for every bit of attention he can get. The native of Windsor, Conn., had one scholarship offer when he came out of high school. But while he attended Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y., to raise his academic standing, Central Florida pulled it back.

"They took it away because they didn't want me to start there in January," Knighton said. "I had nowhere to go. Then I got a call from Temple."

The last three seasons for the Owls, Knighton averaged 56 tackles, 7 1/2 for losses, and four pass breakups. He recovered six fumbles and blocked four kicks.

"I guess I've come a long way," said Knighton, who will go through drills today with the other defensive linemen.

Five former Temple Owls are in the NFL. Two of them are defensive linemen, and the Eagles' Dan Klecko used to be one. So there's a history there.

Penn State's prospects
One of the players Knighton knocked heads with while at Temple is Penn State center A.Q. Shipley, who had to overcome a different kind of obstacle to get here. The 6-1, 297-pound Shipley went to Penn State as a defensive lineman. Once he got to Happy Valley, Joe Paterno had other plans for him. Shipley was not thrilled.

"Going into my redshirt sophomore year, Coach Paterno called me in and said, 'Look, we need a center. Can you do it?' " said Shipley, who is projected as a fifth-rounder by NFLdraftscout.com. "I said, 'Yeah.' I wasn't happy - let's put it that way. But I've always been a team-first type guy. It shook me up at first [when the coaches moved him]. But it definitely worked out for the best. And I came to the realization I actually like offense better than defense."

The highest rated among the Penn State players at the combine is defensive end Aaron Maybin, projected to go in the middle of the first round. Mayock sees him as a possible rushing end in a 3-4 defense.

The other Nittany Lions at the combine are defensive end Maurice Evans, offensive linemen Gerald Cadogan, wide receivers Derrick Williams, Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood, and cornerback Lydell Sargeant.

Along with Maybin, Rutgers receiver Kenny Britt has a chance to go in the first round if he shows the scouts speed and convinces them that those passes he dropped early in the season were an aberration. Safety Courtney Greene and receiver Tiquan Underwood are also representing Rutgers at the combine.

One-year wonder?
It will be interesting to see when Shonn Greene's name is called during draft weekend. Mayock believes Greene, the 5-11, 235-pound running back from Sicklerville and Winslow Township High, has questions to answer before the scouts. NFLdraftscout.com has Greene going early in the second round, at 36th overall. Mayock suggested he'll be taken later.

At Iowa, Greene was second in the nation with 1,850 rushing yards and won the Doak Walker Award as the country's top running back. Mayock called Greene a one-year wonder. He played sparingly at Iowa in his first two years and left the school for community college before returning last season. Greene entered the draft with another year of college eligibility left. He'll be 24 in August.

"You're always looking for that big back with good feet. That's what he is," Mayock said. "He had a tremendously productive year. I'm going to say late second, early third round, in that range. He needs to run fairly well [at the combine]. Most importantly, he's a one-year wonder. Where was he before that? He was out of school academically. His weight has fluctuated, so he's going to have to answer some questions in the interview room, which will be more important to him than anything else."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact staff writer Ray Parrillo at 215-854-2743 or rparrillo@phillynews.com.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yep, i saw that, so thought some of you could read it, and see what you thought, maybe some of you saw him play too?

RamziD

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2650190 said:
Seems like a better prospect than brace.

Yeah, that's right. The 7th round prospect who played against weaker competition is now a better prospect than the 2nd round guy based solely on the fact that he had a good day at the combine and some journalist wrote an article. Priceless. :banghead:

Bigdog

Reaction score
RamziD;2650449 said:
Yeah, that's right. The 7th round prospect who played against weaker competition is now a better prospect than the 2nd round guy based solely on the fact that he had a good day at the combine and some journalist wrote an article. Priceless. :banghead:
From all of the reports, Brace did not have a good Senior Bowl practice week. Just because draft gruus have a guy high on their list doesn't necessarily means he will pan out in the pros. I mean we have Carpenter for that. Everyone thought he was going to be a solid pro and can play any of the LB positions in any system due to his intangibles. Maybe time will tell but he can't even get on the field.

RamziD

Reaction score
Bigdog;2650625 said:
From all of the reports, Brace did not have a good Senior Bowl practice week. Just because draft gruus have a guy high on their list doesn't necessarily means he will pan out in the pros. I mean we have Carpenter for that. Everyone thought he was going to be a solid pro and can play any of the LB positions in any system due to his intangibles. Maybe time will tell but he can't even get on the field.

That's true, but those are usually the exceptions and not the rules. Besides, my point is many people tend to overrate late-round prospects whenever fluff pieces like this are written, especially if they have good "measurables". Usually they're in the late rounds for a reason... most of them don't pan out, although some do.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RamziD;2650656 said:
That's true, but those are usually the exceptions and not the rules. Besides, my point is many people tend to overrate late-round prospects whenever fluff pieces like this are written, especially if they have good "measurables". Usually they're in the late rounds for a reason... most of them don't pan out, although some do.

overrate, or just look for the best value?

RamziD

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2650661 said:
overrate, or just look for the best value?

Everyone falls in love with these combine stories because people convince themselves that we can get as good (or almost as good) a prospect in a later round just because they're a bit off-the-radar. You can sometimes see later round guys move up a couple of rounds just because scouts are able to evaluate their skills much more thoroughly than before. Like I said, those are usally exceptions to the rules. Early round talents are generally the safer choice, and when you have a position of need, you gravitate towards the known. You can take chances on sleepers/projects at positions that aren't such a big need.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RamziD;2650685 said:
Everyone falls in love with these combine stories because people convince themselves that we can get as good (or almost as good) a prospect in a later round just because they're a bit off-the-radar. You can sometimes see later round guys move up a couple of rounds just because scouts are able to evaluate their skills much more thoroughly than before. Like I said, those are usally exceptions to the rules. Early round talents are generally the safer choice, and when you have a position of need, you gravitate towards the known. You can take chances on sleepers/projects at positions that aren't such a big need.

sometimes later round guys are later round guys for a reason

such as they are just big

like Brace, guys like him are a dime a dozen

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I have been watching this guy's stock. I like his size. Brace isn't going to happen, imo. One of these three guys would be nice. The Cowboys need about 20 plays out of a big NT.

Sammie Lee Hill
Terrance Knighton
Dorell Scott

Edit: Myron Pryor

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
RamziD;2650449 said:

The guy played at Temple....not some crappy D3 school what the hell are you talking about weaker comp? ACC isn't much better than the MAC FYI .