Ten draft picks

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys have ten draft picks in the upcoming draft. What would YOU like to see done with those draft picks? What positions addressed? Trade up? Trade down?

The draft is at ATT stadium in Dallas this year. Do any of you think that "stage" will affect the draft for us? Will Jerry want to create a "story" since it is in Dallas?

Will the Cowboys trade picks for players? Players for picks?

Lastly, will any of you be going to the draft? I think I will try to be there all three days.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
You wouldn't be trying to trick me into getting into a conversation about the draft in the wrong form would you:)

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Not much trading unless you can package #4s to move back into the 3rd or a couple picks earlier in rounds 2-3. They must land the following:

1. DT that can play 1T, be a run stuffer, get up field and demand double teams
2. WR that can be a #1. Prefer someone that can stretch the field and be a leader of a squad that has had no leadership since #88 joined
3. LB. I prefer a real MLB thumper. Lee and Smith will be better chasing plays down rather than taking on Guards.
4. S that can compete for starting job day 1. Jones needs to go back to CB. He doesn't have the instincts to play S. Frazier and Woods look like keepers
5. OG that can start or at least be a viable interior backup. I want a G that plays G. Enough with the stupid position flex.
6. OT that can be a swing guy and not get abused when asked to play ala Chaz Green
7. WR that is a pure burner. I mean a 4.3 type guy. Project is ok but I want a guy that can get downfield
The last picks should be on projects - LB, OG/OT, S

Bottom line is draft guys that can play NEXT year. Get stouter on D up the middle. Ge speed at the WR position. Get better OL depth. Easy peezy.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not much trading unless you can package #4s to move back into the 3rd or a couple picks earlier in rounds 2-3. They must land the following:

2. WR that can be a #1. Prefer someone that can stretch the field and be a leader of a squad that has had no leadership since #88 joined
3. LB. I prefer a real MLB thumper. Lee and Smith will be better chasing plays down rather than taking on Guards.
4. S that can compete for starting job day 1. Jones needs to go back to CB. He doesn't have the instincts to play S. Frazier and Woods look like keepers
5. OG that can start or at least be a viable interior backup. I want a G that plays G. Enough with the stupid position flex.
6. OT that can be a swing guy and not get abused when asked to play ala Chaz Green
7. WR that is a pure burner. I mean a 4.3 type guy. Project is ok but I want a guy that can get downfield

Bottom line is draft guys that can play NEXT year. Get stouter on D up the middle. Ge speed at the WR position. Get better OL depth. Easy peezy.

That's good stuff right there. I would add Kamara type of RB in the draft if possible.

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys don't need 10 draft picks. Move up into the 2nd or 3rd and get higher quality talent.

Actually we could easily use 10 good players. The draft may not fall in a manner that allows us to get 10 good players with those 10 picks, obviously, so I expect some degree of moving around in this draft, but not just for the sake of moving around.

I would like to see one of those 4th or 5th round picks traded away for a round better pick next year plus a pick this year.

rkell87

Reaction score

I'd rather address WR in FA. Sammy Watkins fits point 2 and Paul Richardson fits point 7

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Actually we could easily use 10 good players. The draft may not fall in a manner that allows us to get 10 good players with those 10 picks, obviously, so I expect some degree of moving around in this draft, but not just for the sake of moving around.

I would like to see one of those 4th or 5th round picks traded away for a round better pick next year plus a pick this year.

Sorry Verdict, agree with the direction of most of your comments but if you think 10 players can crack the squad we have vastly different opinion of the current talent level. I'm in agreement with Big Dog, quality over quantity.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sorry Verdict, agree with the direction of most of your comments but if you think 10 players can crack the squad we have vastly different opinion of the current talent level. I'm in agreement with Big Dog, quality over quantity.

NT, and 2WR spots, TE (Witten needs to go), backup guard, swing tackle, backup rb, three lbs could make this roster -2 for sure, and another DL and one more corner might make this roster if we move OScan.

If we draft 10 will they all make the roster? Probably not but it won't be because we don't need a talent infusion in the roster. We aren't the 90s Cowboys yet.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd rather address WR in FA. Sammy Watkins fits point 2 and Paul Richardson fits point 7

His numbers have never really validated his draft position but I think we could get better production out of watkins than we are getting out of Dez in less total targets and at about half of what Dez is costing us.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So which receivers would they replace. Dez, Williams, Beasley, Butler?

Butler I think it's gone. Beasley could draw a little trade value. Dez has a high salary and wouldn't allow us to spend in receiver in free agency. Williams.......

In my opinion Dez is staying at least one more year. Butler is gone, just listen to him talk. I would keep Williams and trade Beasley.

Watkins and Landry are going to get paid..... Most likely. So I would go for Richardson. I would look to draft a receiver in the first couple rounds.

That leaves us for next season.

Dez
Richardson
Switzer
Williams
Rookie
Brown

Verdict

Reaction score

Butler I think it's gone. Beasley could draw a little trade value. Dez has a high salary and wouldn't allow us to spend in receiver in free agency. Williams.......

In my opinion Dez is staying at least one more year. Butler is gone, just listen to him talk. I would keep Williams and trade Beasley.

Watkins and Landry are going to get paid..... Most likely. So I would go for Richardson. I would look to draft a receiver in the first couple rounds.

Dez
Richardson
Switzer
Williams
Rookie
Brown

Actually that's probably not accurate. We could probably cut Dez and sign Sammy Watkins and probably save money and lower the cap hit. The cap doesn't get in the way of cutting Dez. Cutting Dez helps our cap health.

I agree Butler is probably gone. I would probably get rid of Dez and let Butler walk. I would also jettison Witten and give Hanna and Rico a shot at filling his shoes. They aren't that hard to fill anymore.

rkell87

Reaction score
His numbers have never really validated his draft position but I think we could get better production out of watkins than we are getting out of Dez in less total targets and at about half of what Dez is costing us.
Plus he likes our WR coach.

rkell87

Reaction score

Dez
Richardson
Switzer
Williams
Rookie
Brown
I see Richardson as the more likely of the two, he shouldn't command a big salary, does what we had Butler do and we liked him coming out of the draft. If we were to bring in both then brown probably doesn't make the active roster and we most likely keep Beasley. I really don't want to address WR before round 4 this year.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Actually that's probably not accurate. We could probably cut Dez and sign Sammy Watkins and probably save money and lower the cap hit. The cap doesn't get in the way of cutting Dez. Cutting Dez helps our cap health.

I agree Butler is probably gone. I would probably get rid of Dez and let Butler walk. I would also jettison Witten and give Hanna and Rico a shot at filling his shoes. They aren't that hard to fill anymore.
Let me clarify what I meant. If we keep Dez his salary won't allow us to sign bigger priced receivers in free agency. I agree you could cut Dez and save money on the cap but like I said I don't think Jerry will do that...... Not this season anyways

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I see Richardson as the more likely of the two, he shouldn't command a big salary, does what we had Butler do and we liked him coming out of the draft. If we were to bring in both then brown probably doesn't make the active roster and we most likely keep Beasley. I really don't want to address WR before round 4 this year.
Brown can do things Beasley can't. Mainly blocking, Brown played a ton just coming in to block. Beasley regressed and isn't the same player

Verdict

Reaction score
Brown can do things Beasley can't. Mainly blocking, Brown played a ton just coming in to block. Beasley regressed and isn't the same player

I am not sure Beasley regressed, but there is no denying he was less productive. I also see a little bit of smoke that he is getting very dissatisfied. Maybe it's warranted and maybe it's not, but it sure seems like he is building up a head of steam in that area.