Terrance Newman

jem88

Reaction score
With all the talk of our impressive rookie haul, Roy Williams back playing strong safety, the 3-4 and all the rest, the one player who seems to be a touch overlooked is Newman. For me this is ideal as it will hopefully alleviate some of the pressure on the guy. I'm willing to bet that he'll become a blue-chip CB this year, especially if we have some semblance of a pass rush. For all the talk about Trufant, it's worth remembering that some felt the Bengals might take Newman with the top pick (although I think they made the right call, Palmer looking like the next great one...)

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
jem88 said:
With all the talk of our impressive rookie haul, Roy Williams back playing strong safety, the 3-4 and all the rest, the one player who seems to be a touch overlooked is Newman. For me this is ideal as it will hopefully alleviate some of the pressure on the guy. I'm willing to bet that he'll become a blue-chip CB this year, especially if we have some semblance of a pass rush. For all the talk about Trufant, it's worth remembering that some felt the Bengals might take Newman with the top pick (although I think they made the right call, Palmer looking like the next great one...)
I agree about TNewman but I haven't seen anything yet that suggests Palmer is the Next great one.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
He'll be back alright. With Henry and Glenn, teams will no longer be guaranteed Newman is going to be 1on1 with their top WR, but that he may actually receive some help. No one can cover 1 on 1 every play without getting burned, cept maybe Deion.

parchy

Reaction score
Lindy's picked Newman as it's breakout cornerback of 2005.

jbsg02

Reaction score
Someone tell me a great CB that has come from the big 12

Smith22

Reaction score
Not to be a jerk, but his first name is spelled Terence. It just bothers me when I see people type Irving instead of Irvin, Whitten instead of Witten, etc.

Rant done.

Back to the subject at hand, I think TNew will be just fine once the players grasp the 3-4 defense. It may take some time, but by mid-season (or a bit later) I think he will be making plenty of plays while our defense rushes the QB play after play.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jbsg02 said:
Someone tell me a great CB that has come from the big 12
Dallas has 2: Terence Newman and Aaron Glenn.
How many you ultimately include depends on your definition of great but the Big 12 is not light at any position; being a top 3 conference and a huge conference at that.

Reaction score
With a combo platter of the new 3-4 D AND Todd Bowles as our new DB coach, we finally have some leadership & coaching/developing ability there...

Expect a exciting year on D! :cool:

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
With a combo platter of the new 3-4 D AND Todd Bowles as our new DB coach, we finally have some leadership & coaching/developing ability there...

Expect a exciting year on D! :cool:

Talking about covering you arse.

If D plays well this year it will because of the new DB coach not the coordinator.

If they don't improve it will be only Zimmer.

Merlin

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Dallas has 2: Terence Newman and Aaron Glenn.
How many you ultimately include depends on your definition of great but the Big 12 is not light at any position; being a top 3 conference and a huge conference at that.

Terrence Newman is not a great CB as of yet. Some would argue that even though Glenn has had a very good career that he is not one of the great CBs either.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Merlin said:
Terrence Newman is not a great CB as of yet. Some would argue that even though Glenn has had a very good career that he is not one of the great CBs either.

exactly!

IMO up until now TNEW has to prove that he good CB.....!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
If D plays well this year it will because of the new DB coach not the coordinator.

If they don't improve it will be only Zimmer.

Maybe he will think that, but if they do improve, you cannot ascribe it to Zimmer. The credit if we improve has to go to the fact we actually have a dedicated coach for an important unit on the field.

That has been a big problem for us the last few seasons, and that is poor coaching (or lack thereof) for the secondary. Bowles was a great hire because it took some of the responsibility away from Zimmer.

When you have a defensive coordinator moonlighting as the secondary coach, you are bound to have some fallout. I think we were very dependent on them being self-sufficient, primarily because of Darren Woodson. There simply is not enough time for a coach like Zimmer to give them the attention that they may deserve week in week out and still also function as the coordinator as well. For the most part, those players were probably on their own moreso that the linemen or linebackers.

It is not that Zimmer did a poor job per se, but he simply could not spread himself that thin. I look forward to better results. And if they fail, it is not because of Zimmer.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
When you have a defensive coordinator moonlighting as the secondary coach, you are bound to have some fallout.
Sorry to correct you, but you have it backwards. We have a secondary coach moonlighting as a defensive coordinator.

:bang2:

Alexander

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Sorry to correct you, but you have it backwards. We have a secondary coach moonlighting as a defensive coordinator.

:bang2:

LOL!

Point taken.

doomsday_II

Reaction score
As long as he plays man, newman will never become a great corner until he learns to turn for the ball. Hopefully Glenn will show the way.

Alexander

Reaction score
doomsday_II said:
Hopefully Glenn will show the way.

I was thinking the other day how great it was we got Glenn.

If Henry ends up struggling, we have a Pro Bowl-calibre corner just sitting there. That is very comforting.